The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bilboard Article - Mick Fleetwood Opens Up About Lindsey Buckingham's Departure

Mick Fleetwood Opens Up About His Rock Photography, Fleetwood Mac's Tour & Lindsey Buckingham's Departure

8/5/2018 by Nicole Pajer

When he’s not out drumming alongside Stevie Nicks and John McVie, Mick Fleetwood is paying homage to his favorite hobby: photography.

The 71-year-old rock drummer, who has been taking his own cameras out on the road with him since the early days of Fleetwood Mac, has always had an affinity for a great rock and roll shot. In order to share that with the public, he teamed up with the Morrison Hotel Gallery in 2016 to open a gallery space inside his Maui-based restaurant, Fleetwood’s General Store, which features a rotating array of fine art music photography.

On Saturday night (Aug. 4) in Los Angeles, Fleetwood -- who is in town rehearsing for the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour -- popped by the Sunset Marquis Hotel in conjunction with the Morrison Hotel Gallery to showcase a selection of his favorite music shots, which included candid photos of the likes of Keith Richards, John Lee Hooker and bandmate Stevie Nicks.

Billboard caught up with Fleetwood on site to discuss his love of rock photography, his secret mission to infiltrate the stash of early Fleetwood Mac shots that McVie has been holding hostage and what he’s most looking forward to about his band’s upcoming tour

What inspired your partnership with the Morrison Hotel Gallery?

We’re celebrating our sixth year with my Fleetwood’s, and in a restaurant that’s a lot. That’s another way to lose your hair but we’re part of the fabric there now, which is great. We opened up with the Morrison Hotel Gallery about two years ago and it’s been a huge success. Pattie Boyd, who was married to George Harrison and Eric [Clapton], did a little tour with Peter Blachley, one of the owners of the gallery. I met them in Australia years ago when Pattie was doing a show and I went to support. We were on the road and Christine, myself and John went to a gallery opening to support Stevie who was showing a Polaroid shot. She doesn’t really do that but Peter approached her and she said, “Okay. I’ll do it.” I met Peter again. We talked about one day doing something and then he came on holiday to our gallery. We had a regular gallery with open art at Fleetwood’s and I decided to go into partnership with Morrison Hotel Gallery. I said, “This is it.” For me, it’s a perfect fit. It makes a lot of sense because this is my world. We have a lot of fun. Whenever I’m at the restaurant, I pop down into the gallery and talk about some of the pieces that I know and introduce some of the people in the photographs that I was inspired by.

What is it about rock photography that speaks to you?

Photography-wise, I do bits and pieces on landscapes and stuff, which is what we used to have in the gallery. Am I a serious dude? No. I just have fun doing it. And then a guy who owned a gallery in Maui was like, “You should put some of these up. People would love to see them.” So that’s how it started, showing photos, and I have fun doing that. I have a reverence for great photography. But I don’t consider myself in that league.

John McVie, who is the bass player in Fleetwood Mac, is a really good photographer and he never did anything with it. It’s just like, “John, why don’t you show somewhere?” I don’t think he can be bartered. But I actually referenced him in terms of buying good cameras back in the day and learning a little bit about stuff. I was the annoying guy with the camera way back in the day when I first started touring with John. Everyone used to go “Ah! Here is the busy body with the camera. This joker. Get out of here.” But now they appreciate them. It’s like being in a family where you’re like, “Thank God dad forced us to take all those pictures.”

I have a lot of respect for these rock photographers. You realize that some of them were really led into the inner circles of some of these artists and bands. And you see how those photographs really capture the artist, the moment. You really have to give these people kudos. There is something about them as people that allowed this type of thing to happen and that doesn’t seemingly ever really get referenced.

Are the walls in your home covered with rock photography?

I have a very sweet and lovely home but my place hasn’t got much wall space -- but I keep buying art. I go to my own gallery and I said, “Oh I want one of those.” I’ve got this whole load of photographs in storage. During this tour, I’m building a barn that is going to be a drum room and I have great aspirations for my overload of rock photography to be up on the wall there. And I will probably insist that John McVie gives me some of the s--t he’s got on Fleetwood Mac.

What are you most looking forward to about the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour?

We’re very excited. Obviously this is a huge change with the advent of Lindsey Buckingham not being a part of Fleetwood Mac. We all wish him well and all the rest of it. In truthful language, we just weren’t happy. And I’ll leave it at that in terms of the dynamic. And he’s going out on the road more or less the same time I think -- not in the same places, I hope (laughs). So we’re with Mike Campbell from Tom Petty and Neil Finn from Crowded House -- both really credible gentleman and really talented. We are a week into rehearsals and it’s going really well and we’re looking forward, in true Fleetwood Mac style. If you know anything about the history of this band, it’s sort of peppered with this type of dramatic stuff. It’s a strange band really. It’s ironic that we have a 50-year package coming out with all the old blues stuff with Peter Green, all the incarnations of Fleetwood Mac, which was not of course planned. But that’s what we’re feeling, especially myself and John, having been in Fleetwood Mac for 55 years. So it’s exciting, totally challenging in the whole creative part of it, and we’re really loving it. We’re just looking at a whole 18 months on-and-off of trekking around the world like we normally do and having it be fun.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Mick Fleetwood Opens Up About His Rock Photography, Fleetwood Mac's Tour & Lindsey Buckingham's Departure

8/5/2018 by Nicole Pajer

When he’s not out drumming alongside Stevie Nicks and John McVie, Mick Fleetwood is paying homage to his favorite hobby: photography.

The 71-year-old rock drummer, who has been taking his own cameras out on the road with him since the early days of Fleetwood Mac, has always had an affinity for a great rock and roll shot. In order to share that with the public, he teamed up with the Morrison Hotel Gallery in 2016 to open a gallery space inside his Maui-based restaurant, Fleetwood’s General Store, which features a rotating array of fine art music photography.

On Saturday night (Aug. 4) in Los Angeles, Fleetwood -- who is in town rehearsing for the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour -- popped by the Sunset Marquis Hotel in conjunction with the Morrison Hotel Gallery to showcase a selection of his favorite music shots, which included candid photos of the likes of Keith Richards, John Lee Hooker and bandmate Stevie Nicks.

Billboard caught up with Fleetwood on site to discuss his love of rock photography, his secret mission to infiltrate the stash of early Fleetwood Mac shots that McVie has been holding hostage and what he’s most looking forward to about his band’s upcoming tour

We’re celebrating our sixth year with my Fleetwood’s, and in a restaurant that’s a lot. That’s another way to lose your hair but we’re part of the fabric there now, which is great. We opened up with the Morrison Hotel Gallery about two years ago and it’s been a huge success. Pattie Boyd, who was married to George Harrison and Eric [Clapton], did a little tour with Peter Blachley, one of the owners of the gallery. I met them in Australia years ago when Pattie was doing a show and I went to support. We were on the road and Christine, myself and John went to a gallery opening to support Stevie who was showing a Polaroid shot. She doesn’t really do that but Peter approached her and she said, “Okay. I’ll do it.” I met Peter again. We talked about one day doing something and then he came on holiday to our gallery. We had a regular gallery with open art at Fleetwood’s and I decided to go into partnership with Morrison Hotel Gallery. I said, “This is it.” For me, it’s a perfect fit. It makes a lot of sense because this is my world. We have a lot of fun. Whenever I’m at the restaurant, I pop down into the gallery and talk about some of the pieces that I know and introduce some of the people in the photographs that I was inspired by.

Photography-wise, I do bits and pieces on landscapes and stuff, which is what we used to have in the gallery. Am I a serious dude? No. I just have fun doing it. And then a guy who owned a gallery in Maui was like, “You should put some of these up. People would love to see them.” So that’s how it started, showing photos, and I have fun doing that. I have a reverence for great photography. But I don’t consider myself in that league.

John McVie, who is the bass player in Fleetwood Mac, is a really good photographer and he never did anything with it. It’s just like, “John, why don’t you show somewhere?” I don’t think he can be bartered. But I actually referenced him in terms of buying good cameras back in the day and learning a little bit about stuff. I was the annoying guy with the camera way back in the day when I first started touring with John. Everyone used to go “Ah! Here is the busy body with the camera. This joker. Get out of here.” But now they appreciate them. It’s like being in a family where you’re like, “Thank God dad forced us to take all those pictures.”

I have a lot of respect for these rock photographers. You realize that some of them were really led into the inner circles of some of these artists and bands. And you see how those photographs really capture the artist, the moment. You really have to give these people kudos. There is something about them as people that allowed this type of thing to happen and that doesn’t seemingly ever really get referenced.

I have a very sweet and lovely home but my place hasn’t got much wall space -- but I keep buying art. I go to my own gallery and I said, “Oh I want one of those.” I’ve got this whole load of photographs in storage. During this tour, I’m building a barn that is going to be a drum room and I have great aspirations for my overload of rock photography to be up on the wall there. And I will probably insist that John McVie gives me some of the s--t he’s got on Fleetwood Mac.

We’re very excited. Obviously this is a huge change with the advent of Lindsey Buckingham not being a part of Fleetwood Mac. We all wish him well and all the rest of it. In truthful language, we just weren’t happy. And I’ll leave it at that in terms of the dynamic. And he’s going out on the road more or less the same time I think -- not in the same places, I hope (laughs). So we’re with Mike Campbell from Tom Petty and Neil Finn from Crowded House -- both really credible gentleman and really talented. We are a week into rehearsals and it’s going really well and we’re looking forward, in true Fleetwood Mac style. If you know anything about the history of this band, it’s sort of peppered with this type of dramatic stuff. It’s a strange band really. It’s ironic that we have a 50-year package coming out with all the old blues stuff with Peter Green, all the incarnations of Fleetwood Mac, which was not of course planned. But that’s what we’re feeling, especially myself and John, having been in Fleetwood Mac for 55 years. So it’s exciting, totally challenging in the whole creative part of it, and we’re really loving it. We’re just looking at a whole 18 months on-and-off of trekking around the world like we normally do and having it be fun.
They are being forced to come around and dispel the lies they told earlier. Yet so cavalier about someone who was allegedly a friend, bailed this guys a$$ out of a jam more times than any of us could count. My respect really does diminish for him every time he opens his mouth
Old 08-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

8/5/2018 by Nicole Pajer

They are being forced to come around and dispel the lies they told earlier. Yet so cavalier about someone who was allegedly a friend, bailed this guys a$$ out of a jam more times than any of us could count. My respect really does diminish for him every time he opens his mouth
Old 08-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
It's like they never knew Lindsey. Or if he were now a stranger.

This is so awful and disheartening!

I only hope he's right about Lindsey's solo tour. That's all I care about.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

8/5/2018 by Nicole Pajer

What an A$$, I cannot stand him anymore. How flippant and cruel. And a different story, because the original one was lies.

I'm willing to bet a decent sum of money, that between him and $tevie, at some point they are going to babble and spill all the cruel beans.

I can't wait.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
What an A$$, I cannot stand him anymore. How flippant and cruel. And a different story, because the original one was lies.

I'm willing to bet a decent sum of money, that between him and $tevie, at some point they are going to babble and spill all the cruel beans.

I can't wait.
They are going to have to do something----particularly if ticket sales persist at these levels. I have no doubt they will pick up to some degree---but FM is used to selling out arenas....we aren't there yet and with no international leg announced yet....if things don't turnaround, I foresee a lot of backpedaling and revising of the tale. There is no way FM wants to go out like this.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post

I can't wait.
Such an a$$....I can't stand him either, he makes my skin crawl.
All that Lindsey has done for your wallet and career Mick and you say that 'we' were unhappy.....seriously what had or has Lindsey ever done to him to say such nasty and ungrateful things about him in the media.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
Such an a$$....I can't stand him either, he makes my skin crawl.
All that Lindsey has done for your wallet and career Mick and you say that 'we' were unhappy.....seriously what had or has Lindsey ever done to him to say such nasty and ungrateful things about him in the media.
I don’t know if I’m more disgusted by his behavior than disheartened about what Lindsey and his family must be thinking after reading this piece of trash.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
They are going to have to do something----particularly if ticket sales persist at these levels. I have no doubt they will pick up to some degree---but FM is used to selling out arenas....we aren't there yet and with no international leg announced yet....if things don't turnaround, I foresee a lot of backpedaling and revising of the tale. There is no way FM wants to go out like this.
Surely they don't want to go out like this....but when your colleague (Mick) has said the band is unhappy with you (for no obvious or apparent reason) and has previously slept with your ex, who you were still in love with that happens to be in the same band as you AND then trashes you in his autobiography with intimate details of a fight that occurred when you left the band in 1987.....then surely you realise your ex band member is a true mug and enoughs enough and you choose NEVER TO GO BACK AGAIN......ever, right?!

Also the whole 'we' are unhappy...are you speaking for Christine too Mick......where is she, why is she not speaking up?!!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Surely they don't want to go out like this....but when your colleague (Mick) has said the band is unhappy with you (for no obvious or apparent reason) and has previously slept with your ex, who you were still in love with that happens to be in the same band as you AND then trashes you in his autobiography with intimate details of a fight that occurred when you left the band in 1987.....then surely you realise your ex band member is a true mug and enoughs enough and you choose NEVER TO GO BACK AGAIN......ever, right?!

Also the whole 'we' are unhappy...are you speaking for Christine too Mick......where is she, why is she not speaking up?!!!!
He is truly an a$$---I actually hold him more accountable to this mess than anyone else. But at the end of the day....they are all at fault. So unbelievably sad.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This just gets more sickening by the day..I understand that Mick is hopelessly greedy and that Stevie has become a bitter old diva who wants her way so it is the McVies that are starting to seem just as complicit to me .They should have just called it a day and Fleetwood Mac would have ended there ..when it should have.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don’t know if I’m more disgusted by his behavior than disheartened about what Lindsey and his family must be thinking after reading this piece of trash.
Absolutely...I know Lindsey is being dignified in his silence but after Mick's unhappy call, its war now......time for him to speak out and call bull**** on the lies and slander that is being spread ....come out of your cave now Lindsey and face the music!!!

Last edited by Angel75; 08-05-2018 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Absolutely...I know Lindsey is being dignified in his silence...

I wonder if Lindsey is being paid for his silence?
Old 08-05-2018, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hardly an "opening up" on what happened, is it. But thanks for posting this new tidbit.

Quote:
In truthful language, we just weren’t happy.
Sounds like he's using the Royal We here--speaking on behalf of the "Stevie Micks" symbiot.

Unless John had some reason to be unhappy with Lindsey too--but that seems to be clutching at straws.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That mother f'r. Like it was all LBs fault. COME ON we know tambourine b/witch is a bitter old hag now and pushed his buttons just as much as he did her. SHE bashed him all the time in interviews the last couple of years and he didn't. So we know that they chose her over him because of the $. F the lot of them.