The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Should Bob Brunning be regarded as a member of Fleetwood Mac?
Yes of course, he was the original bass player! 25 83.33%
No, he was a backing musician, and not a very good one at that! 5 16.67%
Bob who? Didn't he run off with Mick Fleetwood's wife? 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Author View Post
The question is: Would Peter G name his new band Fleetwood Brunning? Hardly. Green had his sights firmly set on his favorite rhythm section, Messrs. Mick F and John M when he quit John Mayall in the early summer of 1967. When McVie got (temporarily) cold feet and remained with Mayall, Green simply wanted someone who could deputize. Brunning joined in mid-July 67 at the the earliest and he was out six-to-eight weeks later in September 67. I guess Green chose an unknown player (instead of, say, Dave Ambrose or Ric Grech who both tried out) to underline the fact that this was a temporary situation. Hence there was no hurtful Pete-Best-sacking when Brunning graciously bowed out. I'd even argue and say McVie was a founding member given the fact that he, Green, and Fleetwood recording the first acknowledged F Mac tracks in late spring 67. As for the dates in the gig sheet reproduced in Brunning's "Blues: The British Connection" (p 116) these were all Savoy Brown gigs (oops, not C Shack as I hurriedly wrote above), whatever his claim to the contrary.
The Stones also wanted Ian Stewart to be a member of their band too but as we know sometimes in life things don't end up the way people want them to. So again, not for a "certainty".

Also there's bound to have been other bands formed over the years that were named after people they were never in (or at least not long out of after their formation but they carried on anyways). This calls for a ChiliD list.

I see what you're saying and fair enough I respect your point of view though.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 06-17-2010 at 02:10 PM..
Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Personally though I need a couple of questions answered, what would have happened if McVie had not left Mayall? Would McVie have only come in when the band was famous, and would Brunning have been so gracious if the band were famous by the time McVie wanted in? Would the rest of the band even want McVie say 12 months later when they had become a close knit group?

Apparently the only two ways that McVie would have left Mayall were:

Mayall turning away from pure blues (which of course was the real reason)

OR

Fleetwood Mac being stable and profitable enough for McVie to leave the security of Mayall...

So the reason that Bob Brunning is still not in Fleetwood Mac is because John Mayall likes to experiment!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ?

He absolutely is a member

think of this another way.

Derek and the Dominoes never appeared with Duane Allman. Yet who would dispute that he was a member?

At least Bob not only played songs in the studio with the band He appeared at their debut performance as their bass player as well as other venues before getting the sack. That says it all.

doodyhead
Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Author View Post
The question is: Would Peter G name his new band Fleetwood Brunning? Hardly.
hehehehehe
Old 06-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Brunning should be considered an original member, but a horrible writter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Original member, sure. Peter picked him. He didn't pick Buckingham, Nicks, Welch...

Last edited by dino; 06-18-2010 at 02:54 AM..
Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default another take

The band was listed on it's debut as:
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac with Jeremy Spencer

It was not listed as:

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac with Jeremy Spencer and special temprary fill-in Bob ...uh Brunning

No one on the planet except their mothers , knew who Mick Fleetwood and John McVie were, let alone the play on words.

doodyhead

Last edited by doodyhead; 06-18-2010 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Before I answer this question, let's consider what The Moody Blues think of the first three years of the band by checking their line-ups (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_band_members) and discography:
1. The Magnificent Moodies (pre-psychedelic era line-up)
2. Days Of Future Passed (start of psychedelic era line-up)
3. In Search Of The Lost Chord
4. On The Threshold Of A Dream
5. To Our Children's Children's Children
6. A Question Of Balance
7. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
8. Seventh Sojourn
(Brief band split, 1974-77.)
9. Octave (end of psychedelic era line-up)
Also, check their history on their site - http://www.moodyblues.co.uk/index_main.html. You'll find no mention of anything done before Days Of Future Passed.
So, back to the question - should Bob Brunning be considered a band member? Well, unless The Moody Blues suddenly care to mention their founding band members and first album in their history on their official site, I'm voting no.
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 06-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
Before I answer this question, let's consider what The Moody Blues think of the first three years of the band by checking their line-ups (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_band_members) and discography:
1. The Magnificent Moodies (pre-psychedelic era line-up)
2. Days Of Future Passed (start of psychedelic era line-up)
3. In Search Of The Lost Chord
4. On The Threshold Of A Dream
5. To Our Children's Children's Children
6. A Question Of Balance
7. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
8. Seventh Sojourn
(Brief band split, 1974-77.)
9. Octave (end of psychedelic era line-up)
Also, check their history on their site - http://www.moodyblues.co.uk/index_main.html. You'll find no mention of anything done before Days Of Future Passed.
So, back to the question - should Bob Brunning be considered a band member? Well, unless The Moody Blues suddenly care to mention their founding band members and first album in their history on their official site, I'm voting no.
Don't see where the Moody Blues' choice to pull a Stalin-esque view of their own history has anything to do with Fleetwood Mac & Bob Brunning being a member of Fleetwood Mac? Seems like a non-sequitur of the grandest proportions.

Pretty close to: "I don't like pumpkin pie, so Bob Brunning was never a member of Fleetwood Mac".
Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Don't see where the Moody Blues' choice to pull a Stalin-esque view of their own history has anything to do with Fleetwood Mac & Bob Brunning being a member of Fleetwood Mac? Seems like a non-sequitur of the grandest proportions.
I agree, chiliD. I can see some reasonable arguments for why Brunning should not be considered a member (though I certainly consider him to be one), but that is not one of them. The Moody Blues first album never existed? - what a joke.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By the way, if we consider Bob Brunning a former member (which he is, whether we want to admit it or not) we should also note that Doug Graves was one, too--and, to a slightly lesser extent, Nigel Watson. They played gigs with the group in a legitimate way. Graves was even introduced on the Don Kirshner (sp?) special as the newest addition.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
By the way, if we consider Bob Brunning a former member (which he is, whether we want to admit it or not) we should also note that Doug Graves was one, too--and, to a slightly lesser extent, Nigel Watson. They played gigs with the group in a legitimate way. Graves was even introduced on the Don Kirshner (sp?) special as the newest addition.
See there is a difference though between backing musicians and band members. While Doug Graves was introduced as the new member was that the intention of the band or was it a mistake on the part of the Don Kirshner show? Perhaps he was the missing 17th member...

Brunning was hired as a band member, perhaps temporarily, perhaps not. Nigel Watson, as I understand it, wasn't even hired, he tagged along with PG. No different to Sharon Celani and Lori Nicks.

It is a debate that we are never going to end without input from either Peter Green or Mick Fleetwood. The fact that Mick considers himself the ONLY founding member, indicates that McVie wasn't a founding member, and thus, Brunning was.

It really does all come down to the intention of the rest of the band and management when hiring. People like Nigel Watson, Doug Graves, Sharon Celani, Brett Tuggle, and what was that guys name Michael Thompson (the guy off Time whatever his name was I'm too lazy to go and look at the CD), were never intended to be part of the band.

I wonder whether PG said to Brunning "When John McVie joins, you are out of the band" OR "If John McVie joins, you are out of the band". We shall never know...
Old 06-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I wonder whether PG said to Brunning "When John McVie joins, you are out of the band" OR "If John McVie joins, you are out of the band". We shall never know...
Now here's the answer: in both ways (If/When): ".... you are out of the band" means you are in the band now at this moment.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Now here's the answer: in both ways (If/When): ".... you are out of the band" means you are in the band now at this moment.
This is very true!

I wonder whether PG always knew that McVie would come around in the end though?
Old 06-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh and I can think of one over-riding reason why Brunning should be considered a member of Fleetwood Mac (other than the fact he WAS a member)...

Without his membership I would have never bothered listening to Brunning Sunflower or De Luxe Blues Band and my life would be a little poorer because of it...