Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bob Welch

I was just wondering about why Bob's name isnt on the wall at the hall of fame with the rest of the band. I know that they didn't have any huge hits with Bob there, but I can't believe he's not on the wall!!!!! I firmly believe that if he hadnt been there to bridge the gap between Peter Green and Stevie/Lindsey, there would be not Rumours or any of the other albums. Does anyone agree with me?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This has been a VERY SORE subject around here since 1998.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I was just wondering about why Bob's name isnt on the wall at the hall of fame with the rest of the band. I know that they didn't have any huge hits with Bob there, but I can't believe he's not on the wall!!!!! I firmly believe that if he hadnt been there to bridge the gap between Peter Green and Stevie/Lindsey, there would be not Rumours or any of the other albums. Does anyone agree with me?
I totally agree with you!

He should be up there and it's ridiculous that he's not.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
This has been a VERY SORE subject around here since 1998.
Indeed it has. I'm still sore about it. He certainly belonged in the RRHOF. He saved FM's *ss and also made some terrific music.

-Lis
Old 06-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's wrong that Bob wasn't included. I understand the reasoning, but it's still wrong
Old 06-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
It's wrong that Bob wasn't included. I understand the reasoning, but it's still wrong

I DON'T understand the reasoning...it was an "unreasonable act" to omit Bob from induction.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I DON'T understand the reasoning...it was an "unreasonable act" to omit Bob from induction.
I agree. There's no legitimate reason why Bob isn't in the Hall of Fame, other than that lawsuit. And, that's not a legitmate reason, in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not so sure the band had much say in the decision. I always got the impression that some of the people who control who gets inducted weren't all that crazy about inducting Fleetwood Mac in the first place. So, I really don't think Mick had the power to say who was to be included that, say, Jerry Garcia had with the Grateful Dead, as it could very well be that Fleetwood Mac was lucky to be inducted at all. In any event, I'm sure that the six who were on stage were the six Mick REALLY wanted to show as Fleetwood Mac. Let's face it, Mick, John, and those four had pretty much ALL of their big hits in Europe and the USA.

I think that Bob Welch, Billy Burnette, and Rick Vito should have been inducted, too. Bob was a critical factor in musically bringing Fleetwood Mac into the '70s, and in establishing Fleetwood Mac more in the USA. And, he actually had a quasi-hit single with "Hypnotized." As for Billy and Rick, if we're being honest, they were in the second most successful incarnation of Fleetwood Mac to date, even more successful than the SYW band. Of course, people will say that people weren't really going to Mac shows to see Billy and Rick, but then were people going to see Danny and Jeremy? No, but they still got in.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
...but then were people going to see Danny and Jeremy?
Actually, when they were members...yes. Jeremy's reputation was a pretty big draw for them "back in the day".
Old 06-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Actually, when they were members...yes. Jeremy's reputation was a pretty big draw for them "back in the day".
He may have been, but if we're being honest, it was the Peter Green show.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not so sure the band had much say in the decision. I always got the impression that some of the people who control who gets inducted weren't all that crazy about inducting Fleetwood Mac in the first place. So, I really don't think Mick had the power to say who was to be included that, say, Jerry Garcia had with the Grateful Dead, as it could very well be that Fleetwood Mac was lucky to be inducted at all.
I'm all for a good conspriacy theory, but somehow I really doubt this, Steve. The Rock and Roll Hallf of Fame seems to let in just about anybody with even an ounce of credibility as long as they've been around for 25 years plus. And while it is a little odd that Fleetwood Mac were eligible for a full five years before being inducted, I can't imagine that there was such major opposition to them that Mick was told only certain folks could be included in the band's induction.

Regardless, I have to say that as much as I like Bob's work with Fleetwood Mac, I don't consider his not beign inducted as much of a sore spot, except on a perosnal level. Seems to me there could be few institutions more pointless than a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
The Rock and Roll Hallf of Fame seems to let in just about anybody with even an ounce of credibility as long as they've been around for 25 years plus.
Tell that to the Guess Who. They've had multiple hits from multiple albums. Randy Bachman has written huge hits for two bands (the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive). In fact, Bachman and Burton Cummings were both recently inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame. Yet, they're not in the hall. Another band that probably should be in there is Grand Funk Railroad. Again, multiple hits from multiple albums. So I don't completely agree with that assessment.

I find it odd that Fleetwood Mac were inducted off the heels of a very successful reunion. I believe that had they not done "The Dance," and were still the "Time" band, they would not be in there. And given the band's associations with the Eagles and Santana, and their similarities to the Mamas & the Papas, yeah, I guess I find the class of '98 to be a little suspect. In fact, my HUNCH is that the folks in the Hall had some of the same reservations with the Mamas & the Papas, because they could have been in eight years earlier. Also, the first version of Santana actually formed in 1966, so they would have been eligible seven years earlier. Can you honestly tell me that you don't find it the least bit suspicious that the two most successful groups fronted by both male and female vocalists AND the two bands who list "Black Magic Woman" as a hit were inducted on the same night, when all could have been in YEARS earlier?

As for Bob, again, I don't think Mick was in the same position to demand which members were to be included as was Jerry Garcia (who bless his soul, made the demands AND blew off the ceremony). Even Bob Welch doesn't think it was the fault of anybody in the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not so sure the band had much say in the decision. I always got the impression that some of the people who control who gets inducted weren't all that crazy about inducting Fleetwood Mac in the first place. So, I really don't think Mick had the power to say who was to be included that, say, Jerry Garcia had with the Grateful Dead
I don't buy this. Mick knew(obviously) more about the history of the band than anyone else, and I FIRMLY believe that if he'd stuck up for Bob, Bob would be IN. And Mick could still probably make it right with a couple of phone calls.

http://www.bobwelch.com/index2.htm
Anyone want to ask Bob a question? He's the COOLEST. At the link, go to the forum and ask away. Bob will respond in short order. How many famous musicians do THAT? I can think of none.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Junior Ledgie

Being kinda new here, and not up on past discussions....which band members were inducted, and what is the reason Bob wasn't????
Alex's dad
Old 06-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I don't buy this. Mick knew(obviously) more about the history of the band than anyone else, and I FIRMLY believe that if he'd stuck up for Bob, Bob would be IN. And Mick could still probably make it right with a couple of phone calls.
Well, even Bob isn't faulting the band anymore. I honestly don't think the band had much, if any, say as to who was inducted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
http://www.bobwelch.com/index2.htm
Anyone want to ask Bob a question? He's the COOLEST. At the link, go to the forum and ask away. Bob will respond in short order. How many famous musicians do THAT? I can think of none.
Well, I've had e-mails answered quickly by Roger McGuinn and Kim Simmons.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 06-08-2005 at 08:46 PM..