The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a link to the new Rolling Stone article about the film! It's great!

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/f...151202?page=15
Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Its going to be a madhouse around the multiplex theater in town this upcoming week end.I got to stay away until it calms down.

Those of you that go.ENJOY and dont eat to much pop corn and cotton candy. Yea keep the cotton candy out of your hair too.

LOL................................................................................................. ............

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-18-2015, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Spoiler Free Review

I'm still gathering my thoughts after returning from my first viewing of "Star Wars - The Force Awakens".

This universe was such a huge and important part of my childhood and upbringing. The original Trilogy (what is known as Episodes 4,5, and 6) was the Alpha and Omega for me in the early eighties! I was obsessed for years and, to this day, "A New Hope" is the only film I can quote line for line PERFECTLY without having to view it.

Then in 1999, we got "The Phantom Menace". I left the Theatre extremely upset and disappointed. What had originally been a futuristic yet classic fairy tale, sprinkled with the right amount of intrigue and shocking exposition delivered at just the right time, rustic sets, talented puppeteers, beautiful matte paintings, hand crafted models and new ideas in filmmaking...had been replaced by cold, sterile CGI (over 90% to be exact), wooden acting, horrible new and unlikeable characters (Jar Jar Binks, anyone?) and an already spoiled plotline that was thrown together piecemeal without regard to excitement, surprise or interest. This and it's two sequels was George Lucas milking the franchise ($$$) and in the process, putting a damper on what it was that drew me inside the universe in the first place. For the past sixteen years, "Star Wars" has meant nothing to me.

Leave it to J.J. Abrams to reignite that flame within! He is a master storyteller! More important, he is a fanboy like we are, and he understood what needed to be done with this film. He had the advantage of being able to tell his own story, while remaining true to the history of the originals. He did it flawlessly. I spent two hours and seventeen minutes with a huge grin on my face!!! I left the theatre with goosebumps!!! I called my nearest and dearest friends to let them know how this film was everything I NEEDED it to be!!!

It grabs you and doesn't let go! It is exciting! It is hilarious! It is nostalgic yet brand spanking new! It is shocking! It is at many times sad! It is "Star Wars" in its purest form, and as such it reminded me A LOT of "A New Hope".

J.J. and Lawrence Kasdan are both extremely clever and extremely sneaky! (God, I just realized I use the word "extremely" too much...sorry.) They know JUST when to reveal the right amount of information and introduce each character, both new and old.

If I were to rank this film based off tonight's first viewing, I'd put it at number three behind "Empire" and "A New Hope". It's THAT good!

I'm sure this film will have it's huge share of haters, just like every other thing out there. I'm going to be so bold as to say that anyone who doesn't enjoy this film just doesn't understand "Star Wars".

FIVE STARS from me! One of the finest films of 2015!!!
Old 12-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw the movie at the midnight showing, and WOW! It was so good. I'd rank it at joint number two. Better than Jedi and Sith (the only one of the prequel trilogy worth anything) but not as good as Empire (my personal all-time favourite movie!)

Even my boyfriend, who came with me and is NOT a Star Wars fan, enjoyed it immensely. Daisy Ridley was a revelation. I already want to see it again.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've followed the hype but believe it or not, as someone who saw the original three in theaters back in the day I'm going to pass on seeing this for now. It hasn't excited me in the least, which is the same as for the prequels. It seems more like a watered down tacking on of something again. I'm sure kids will like it but really, a year from now will they still be thinking about it which you could definitely see was the case for the original (it was still in theaters)? So many things are franchises and reruns today and what was so exciting about Star Wars back in 1977 is that it was a huge NEW universe. I don't think people are getting that anymore and are really missing out. I did eventually see the first Abrams Star Trek movie and enjoyed it okay, it was clever, but I think this Star Wars is probably more like that, a re-launch which I'll either get the DVD of (depending on quality of extras) or watch on demand eventually and skip the big tv room stinking of popcorn breath with people coming and going and texting and stuff. I put my ticket money into seeing Trumbo instead.

Another difference is that today there is massive hype and very few things can live up to that. The original didn't need it, it was like the 1933 King Kong (and who cares about the remakes of that?), word of mouth.

Last edited by becca; 12-19-2015 at 12:28 AM..
Old 12-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just back from the cinema.
I must say I feel a bit let down. I was really hoping this was going to be great but in my opinion it was just okay. I put it behind the original trilogy and also behind Revenge of the Sith. The Phantom Menace = Attack of the Clones = The Force Awakens.
Each of the original trilogy had iconic cinematic scenes. I can't think of much I'll be remembering about this one in the years to come. Maybe I'll need to watch it again. I liked the new characters though and will be eager to see how they develop. 7.5/10.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just heard on the radio that it made 100 million already at the box office.Its breaking records.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I've followed the hype but believe it or not, as someone who saw the original three in theaters back in the day I'm going to pass on seeing this for now.
Your loss.

Quote:
It hasn't excited me in the least, which is the same as for the prequels.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the prequels. They were abysmal. However, if you read my opinions on the prequels in this thread, as well as my review of the new film, you will discover that this new film is in a different league, and (with Abrams at the helm) held to much higher standards than the prequels.

Quote:
It seems more like a watered down tacking on of something again.
Wow. You couldn't be anymore OFF THE MARK with that statement, and you will find out why when you go see it.

Quote:
I'm sure kids will like it but really, a year from now will they still be thinking about it which you could definitely see was the case for the original?
Kids (and adults who were kids when the originals came out) haven't been able to STOP thinking and obsessing about "Star Wars" for 38 years now.

Quote:
I did eventually see the first Abrams Star Trek movie and enjoyed it okay, it was clever, but I think this Star Wars is probably more like that, a re-launch.
Um, again, you're WAYYYY off the mark. No, it's not a relaunch. It's called Star Wars Episode VII - it's a continuation.

Quote:
I'll either get the DVD of (depending on quality of extras)
Wow!

Quote:
...or watch on demand eventually and skip the big tv room stinking of popcorn breath with people coming and going and texting and stuff. I put my ticket money into seeing Trumbo instead.
TRUMBO??? (where's the yawning emoji?) Actually, I take it back. Judging from the misinformation or misunderstanding that it would appear you have been given for this new Star Wars film, I think putting your ticket money into Trumbo might be the best thing for you. I can guarantee that you won't have to worry about people's "popcorn breath", texting, or coming and going, as it's more than likely you will be the only person in the Theatre.

No disrespect, but I just couldn't resist. ToMAYto, ToMAHto! You have your opinion and I have mine. But it's hard for me to read your comments knowing you haven't seen this film or given it a chance. I really, really, REALLY think you should go see "Star Wars - The Force Awakens" at the cinema. Trust me. After viewing it, you will be embarrassed by all your preconceived notions.

Last edited by sorcerer999; 12-21-2015 at 11:35 PM..
Old 12-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Oh my God! Brandon! That gif from "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" is EVERYTHING!!! Hilarious!!! Perhaps more Ruprect gifs ("Dot Buther?") need to come into play in regards to the prequels versus original trilogy?!

Hawkeye, I love you so much...and the two of us have pretty much always agreed on everything involving Stevie and Fleetwood Mac...but ARE YOU INSANE??? It would seem you are of a different generation than those of us who grew up with the original trilogy firsthand and experienced the films on the big

Sorry for not responding in the past 2 months, I guess I forgot to check back on this thread or chit chat in general.

But let me try to explain myself. Your probably right and the fact that I saw all 6 movies within a very short amount of time vs. as they happened skewed my view of the movies. And let me clarify that my opinion has NOTHING to do with the better graphics and visuals in the prequels. My enjoyment of movies is not based on special effects or action even. I enjoy the character and the story much more I the prequels.

I much prefer Anakins story to Lukes the fact that I knew he endgame didn't matter to me. Kind of like how I pretty much knew Walt was gonna die in breaking bad, but that didn't matter. The how was much more important to that story then the actual act. The idea that that guy on the screen was gonna become dart header fascinated me, and I was dying to know what could possibly trigger that.

Or I guess you could say obi wan was the actual focus of the prequel, and his journey from young Jedi to mentor Jedi interested me too.

Maybe because I was very new to Star Wars but I dint know that palpatene was gonna be the emperor, so that was a twist for me.

The whole transformation into that empire also was cool for me.

Yoda- for as iconic as I always heard he was (people doing impressions, toys all over the place) I always assumed he was more important to the original movies. But really he was just a decrepit shriveled up frog in 5 and 6. And not even in the first one. I much more enjoyed seeing the younger, actual legendary Yoda in the prequels who actually contributed and was engaged in the cause.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Went to see it today and really enjoyed it!

Okay, there is so much in the plot that is similar to A New Hope that at times I did feel like I was watching a rerun, but some classic Star Wars traits returned that were abandoned in the prequels: humour, character development, exciting but tense action scenes (no mad light speed light-saber fights.)

Overall, I think it was just what the films needed: a back-to-basics, do what Star Wars does best film, but I would like to see more plot development in the next two installments, and not just a rerun of ESB and ROTJ.

4/5
Old 12-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That movie was excellent. It may be better than Empire Strikes Back. They revived the whole excitement of the franchise.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
character development, exciting but tense action scenes
Sorry, those are the very things I thought were pretty disappointing. The whole movie was conducted at such a fast pace there was so little time to develop the characters properly. There was so much more drama in the original trilogy- this film was too much of a modern action film- fast paced (because young cinema-goers these days can't handle much more than 30 seconds of dialogue). The action was all a bit too 'transformers'. I didn't mind the prequels and I'm seeing them in an even better light now.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Sorry, those are the very things I thought were pretty disappointing. The whole movie was conducted at such a fast pace there was so little time to develop the characters properly. There was so much more drama in the original trilogy- this film was too much of a modern action film- fast paced (because young cinema-goers these days can't handle much more than 30 seconds of dialogue). The action was all a bit too 'transformers'. I didn't mind the prequels and I'm seeing them in an even better light now.
I kind of agree with you, but I was comparing the lightsaber fights to the ultra fast prequels which just seemed beyond realistic to me, I liked how it was much more restrained in this film.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
I kind of agree with you, but I was comparing the lightsaber fights to the ultra fast prequels which just seemed beyond realistic to me, I liked how it was much more restrained in this film.
The light sabre fight- yes. It was raw and restrained; two people (or three) not properly trained in the force. I like how the light sabre battles will likely grow in skill and intensity over the next two films.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
That movie was excellent. It may be better than Empire Strikes Back.
You must be on dope my friend.

I finally got to see the movie. I decided to go with the 3D version.
Might have been a mistake.

As good as it was to see certain characters again and hear Mr. Williams
beautiful score, I was disappointed in the overall movie.

Spoiler Alert!!! (if that's possible by now)
I could have done a better job of acting than Mr. Ford in that certain scene.
And the guy that plays Kylo Ren, Adam Driver in my opinion was a horrible
choice. Keep the mask on dude. A little mystery please. Even if you can't act
(at least in this movie).

Bad acting, a wimpy Jedi wannabe and the indestructible Millennium Falcon.
Didn't work for me.

A pleasant surprise was Daisy Ridley. The Force was a little too strong with
her. It came a little easy unless they reveal something in the next movie. Even
if she's Luke's daughter. Or Leia's daughter, making her Kylo's sister?