User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
The difference of viewpoints keeps things interesting... it's what makes the world go 'round. Unfortunately it's the lack of respect for each others' tastes that brings things down to a junior-high level.
Just stating an opinion that some don't care for doesn't make it Jr High, Bri Bri.
If anything, THAT MAKES it a more adult conversation.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Just stating an opinion that some don't care for doesn't make it Jr High, Bri Bri.
If anything, THAT MAKES it a more adult conversation.
Sure, if it stopped with the simple stating of an opinion. But the "for the hearing impaired" response to someone else's opinion that it's a good album... not so much an adult conversation.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sure, if it stopped with the simple stating of an opinion. But the "for the hearing impaired" response to someone else's opinion that it's a good album... not so much an adult conversation.
This might not be a defense, but I was quoting Chili, from an earlier post.
If one can't take a little ribbing, perhaps one shouldn't play with others.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd venture to guess that, outside of the change in Stevie's voice, his biggest problem is the MOR production... but then I remember he loves Christine.
yabbut her vocal shouldn't have been THAT big a surprise if he went to the tango tour.

and as for mor production, that characterizes ALL of stevie's albums & good chunks of fm albums.

so, homie, just why DO you hate osotm?
I hate it too but why do YOU hate it?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
All this talk of how bad OSOTM is has got me miffed. Sure, I can understand why somebody would think that it is not as good as any previous albums, but has everybody forgotten about Street Angel That album is so much more worse than OSOTM - so much worse...
do you not see the illogicality of what you just said? you're confused & upset when someone says he hates your favorite, but then you say you hate MY favorite..... what's the diff in principle? (of course, I don't get upset but that's not the point)

the moral of the story is: one man's meat is another man's poison

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In my opinion, it really had very little to do with what they released, and almost everything to do with the fact that hip-hop/rap was starting to take over the charts, with grunge following shortly after. A lot of artists who had been extremely popular just a few years prior, found their album sales dwindling as the '90s approached. The teenagers who, in 1983, thought Fleetwood Mac & Stevie Nicks were cool, were now well out of high school, and the new teenagers who made up the majority of the album-buying market, were looking for their own sound -- not something their big brother or... gasp... their parents listened to.
of course this is true & you are the only one to peg the problem. the band was not a cool band in 1990 so it didn't matter what the album was like. That's why I laugh when people say "oh if they only released this song instead of that song, THIS song would have been a hit"--which is poshposh ridiculous screwyrabbit. I don't care if they released GO YOUR OWN ****ING WAY in 1990, it would NOT have been a hit by any stretch of the imagination. The same is doubly or triply true for today, or for that last beached whale of an album back in 2003.
Quote:
Fleetwood Mac was a dinosaur band, and I really doubt there's anything they could have done about it. Even if they hadn't released the 'Tango' video and 'Greatest Hits,' and even if Stevie hadn't released 'Red Rocks' and 'TOSOTM,' whatever album they did release would have still been viewed by the younger generation as just another album by "that band my Mom & Dad likes."
true true absolutely true. I was working for a newspaper at the time in sacratomato & I hung out with the pop music critic & there's no ****ing way in hell that fleetwood mac would have got major airplay or had a big hit with ANYTHING they did. Get off the crack, people.
Quote:
It still amazes me that the 'Tango' album and most of its singles did so well, because there was nary a soul in my school that would even admit to remotely liking Fleetwood Mac... and I graduated in 1990. I remember a few of the girls liked "Little Lies," but that was it.
yes that was amazing to me too stew. I think what drove that album was little lies & everywhere being so popular on adult-contemporary. remember back then adult-contemporary was a lot different from what adult-contemporary grew into in the early '90s with guys like dave matthews & sarah maclaghlin when it grew some balls. But back in the '80s, adult-contemporary was dreck unfortunately & those fleetwood mac songs were VERY popular on those stations & those people bought the album. You could walk into ANY hairdresser or haircut shop in 1987 & you would hear everywhere or little lies on the radio station. It was ridiculous.

but yes you are absolutely right that by 1987 even, fleetwood mac (despite its hit album) was definitely slipping out of coolsville. a few things helped prop it up: the aforementioned popularity of the adult-contemporary side of things, also the continued airplay & support on mtv, which was still showing fleetwood mac videos (or just plain videos) in 1987 & still covering the band's doings on MTV IN THE NEWS.

but I'll tell ya, stew cause you may not know this being quite a bit younger: fleetwood mac's luster in the public eye----that growing sense in the public that they were old farts----began even well before 1987....I began to notice such a phenomenon even by the time they headlined the us festival in 1982. LOTS of kids questioned just who the hell they were even then, & bitched about why the hell stupid fleetwood mac was headlining. the band had nothing in common with missing persons & other progressives in 1982, which was the stuff played at teenager parties & school dances--NOT fleetwood mac.

from there it was just a pretty steady decline. Concert attendance tells you nothing because even though it seems like a lot of people, it ain't---not compared with all the people buying albums or listening to radio. The concert audience is an extremely miniscule part of that. besides most of the people who filled up the forum when stevie or whoever came to play were just out for a party----you probably wouldn't have caught them dead with a stevie nicks cassette of Wild heart in their car, paradoxically enough.

that's the fleetwood mac story according to david o.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Partially why I said it should have been released in 1989 is that there was still SOME hope for chart success. I mean, you guys are totally discounting that a number of Fleetwood Mac's contemporaries had BIG hits, some of the biggest of their careers, in 1989. Clapton had "Journeyman," Henley had "End Of The Innocence," and Petty had perhaps the album of his career with "Full Moon Fever." So, why Fleetwood Mac couldn't have had a hit in 1989? It was still possible in 1990. Now, within two years, it wouldn't have been possible. "Surrender The Rain" vs. "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Hmmmm...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Partially why I said it should have been released in 1989 is that there was still SOME hope for chart success. I mean, you guys are totally discounting that a number of Fleetwood Mac's contemporaries had BIG hits, some of the biggest of their careers, in 1989. Clapton had "Journeyman," Henley had "End Of The Innocence," and Petty had perhaps the album of his career with "Full Moon Fever."
What do those three have to do with the price of tea in China. I like the disingenuous way you phrased it, too--"Fleetwood Mac's contemporaries"--thereby trying to make us group all four bands together in terms of public profile in 1989. The fact of the matter--the fact YOU have discounted, not I--is that neither Eric Clapton nor Don Henley & CERTAINLY not Tom Petty was regarded in 1989 the way Fleetwood Mac was: that is, as a blanded out, milquetoast group of cooers well past their heyday, regarded as such by both audiences & critics.

And THAT, pal, is the reason that Fleetwood would not have struck a new vein of gold in 1989.
Quote:
So, why Fleetwood Mac couldn't have had a hit in 1989? It was still possible in 1990.
I would never say it was impossible--only painfully unlikely.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
If one can't take a little ribbing, perhaps one shouldn't play with others.
Funny, I seem to remember a tongue-in-cheek post from Curtis about Christine that ruffled someone's feathers.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
do you not see the illogicality of what you just said? you're confused & upset when someone says he hates your favorite, but then you say you hate MY favorite..... what's the diff in principle? (of course, I don't get upset but that's not the point)

the moral of the story is: one man's meat is another man's poison
I never said that I hate SA, I happen to quite like it - I just said it is worse than OSOTM, just my opinion.

I was never "upset" at you not liking OSOTM - I just wondered what was so bad about it that it made you lose you "onetime huge fandom"

And I find that what I said about SA was a fair opinion - what you said about OSOTM was almost an attack, an attack I never was "confused or upset" about:

"No kidding. OSOTM is an absolute piece of sh*t. My onetime HUGE Stevie fandom ground down to zero upon hearing this dreck."

And just for the record I never once said that OSOTM is my favourite
Old 05-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I, personally, love this song and Stevie's vocals on it...especially the "or loved in such a powerful way" part. I love the guitar on the intro, love Rick's vocal as well. just a great, sweet song.

but then, I'm sure none of that surprises anyone.

Last edited by JazmenFlowers; 05-05-2006 at 11:38 PM..
Old 05-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Funny, I seem to remember a tongue-in-cheek post from Curtis
Who? Is he still around here?
Old 05-06-2006, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
so, homie, just why DO you hate osotm?
I hate it too but why do YOU hate it?
Honestly David, I don't remember. And NO, I'm not going to put it on, to give it a listen. Akin to Chili, I remember semi-liking Rooms on Fire, but I remember the rest left me FLAT. I'm now amazed that I've never used it for target practice. I guess I'm still hoping that someday, Stevie will give me my money back for this Edsel of a clunker!

btw- I have the single DJ mix of Whole Lotta Trouble. I'll entertain all ridiculous offers!
Old 05-06-2006, 02:09 AM
takenbythesky
This message has been deleted by takenbythesky.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Honestly David, I don't remember. And NO, I'm not going to put it on, to give it a listen. Akin to Chili, I remember semi-liking Rooms on Fire, but I remember the rest left me FLAT. I'm now amazed that I've never used it for target practice. I guess I'm still hoping that someday, Stevie will give me my money back for this Edsel of a clunker!
When it comes to stevie, I use what I call the Mae West Inverse Ratio, whereby the closer stevie gets to mae west in appearance, the less I like her music. I find that this ratio is almost perfectly accurate, & the inverse proportionate a reliable index for me.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenbythesky
Post it on YouSendIt!
All good little Chiffonheads already have the single mix on 'Timespace' and 'Enchanted'... so Homie's stuck with it.