User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Tango in the Night really was a huge part of people's lives here in the UK from 1987-88. It was massive. The reissue has already reached as high as #6 on the Amazon UK main album chart which shows how people still remember it and have such a high regard for it.

All of the singles, bar Isn't it Midnight, are played on the radio frequently. And even though some singles didn't reach that high, because the album sold so many copies, everyone knew the songs already. Just like Rumours. (The highest charting single off that was Dreams which only reached a measly #24 and look how popular it is). I can remember a few weeks back Seven Wonders was played and just as it started she said "Ah, I recognise those few bars. It's Seven Wonders by Fleetwood Mac." Would she say that about a regular single that only reached #56 in the chart. No. It's because everyone knew Seven Wonders because everyone had the album!
My Dad said he had 3 versions. LP, Cassette (which he wore out due to overplaying), and CD.

I completely relate to this. In fact, I was thinking the current cost might be so high just due to the fact the original album was such a big deal (so much more of a big deal in the UK than Mirage). If I'm not mistaken it go to number 1 in the UK on 3 separate occasions.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It really is Fantastic. It's probably the most "different" from the original than Rumours, Tusk of Mirage. I was really hoping one for Tango. I'm hoping that the DVD version will be decent. I sure hope the " Fleetwood Mac" album is the next release.
I've been begging for that one.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsGGeWnlk74
Old 01-29-2017, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

the idea of no surround mix has me more than a little upset....so much so I'm probably going to skip this as I have the 12 inch singles and vinyl and don't care about outtakes so surround was my main interest with this set.
so disappointed.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:48 PM
Ledgie

The Tango in the Night demo is on Spotify, definitely interesting and quite different from the released version. I think I prefer the album version though.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It really is Fantastic. It's probably the most "different" from the original than Rumours, Tusk of Mirage. I was really hoping one for Tango. I'm hoping that the DVD version will be decent. I sure hope the " Fleetwood Mac" album is the next release.
So I got the 5.1 mix of SYW yesterday and it's everything it was said to be. How is Rumours? I read reviews that it said the hybrid SACD-DSD and DVD-Audio were pretty much the same. I guess I'll be the judge of that soon enough.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

No 5.1 remix for this one? Seems it's just high resolution stereo on the DVD audio tracks.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
No 5.1 remix for this one? Seems it's just high resolution stereo on the DVD audio tracks.
Yeah, we are all pretty disappointed with that.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
So then isn't it just kind of redundant to put the same audio tracks from the CD onto the DVD if they aren't in 5.1?

I love my Rumours DVD Audio, and the SYW was excellent also, but the TUSK audio DVD was plagued with distortion and a static noise on a lot of the tracks (some worse than others). I had the same issue with some of the DVD audio on Mirage, but not to the same extent.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBielski View Post
So I got the 5.1 mix of SYW yesterday and it's everything it was said to be..
Aren't "Murrow" and "Illume" just outstanding in 5.1? The whole album is just BETTER in this version.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post
So then isn't it just kind of redundant to put the same audio tracks from the CD onto the DVD if they aren't in 5.1?

I love my Rumours DVD Audio, and the SYW was excellent also, but the TUSK audio DVD was plagued with distortion and a static noise on a lot of the tracks (some worse than others). I had the same issue with some of the DVD audio on Mirage, but not to the same extent.
Not exactly. Audio DVD produces audio up to 24bit/96kHz playback, but CD only produces 16bit/44.1kHz playback, so the music on the DVD-Audio is supposed to sound superior to that on the CD.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post

Not exactly. Audio DVD produces audio up to 24bit/96kHz playback, but CD only produces 16bit/44.1kHz playback, so the music on the DVD-Audio is supposed to sound superior to that on the CD.

The stereo track on both the Rumours and Say You Will DVD-Audios are also 24bit/96kHz.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Hmmm
This demo on youtube has the 1986/87 Stevie voice and the music of Tango in the Night. It sounds like a sped Mystified with a little Welcome to the Room Sara. I don't think this demo is from TOSOTM. It sounds very much from the Tango in the night era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHy6vo7jnhw
OMG Stevie's voice was so over the top during that era. Awful!!!!! She got totally carried away with herself. The tango video close ups! UGH! Same thing on Rock a little. Cringeworthy. I bet she looks back and thinks the same thing.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=AnthonyMI;1200618]I imagine that there is no 5.1 mix because the many layers and overproduction of the record i think that is just how Lindsey works on records. Layers and layers and then downmixing and adding more.

The individual instruments would all have to have their own track. This is how Rumours and White Album and most of Tusk and Mirage were done. I also think that most of the prep work for the 5.1 mixes we do have were initially prepared many years ago. If I recall the 5.1 dvd of Rumours was initially started back in 1996/97. This is where the Stems for those songs come from. Tango might be very lush but I think loses coherency as it splits the instruments into dofferent channels. Think of how strange Pet Sounds would be is just the individual instruments played. By themselves the parts seem strange but together they make magic. I think Tango is like this. I bet if they had the ability to do it they would have done it.

no way at that time they had 48 track recording. Even enough for Lindsey. He would NEVER mix down instruments together with other instruments and lose the ability to manipulate them separately. Not at that stage in techonology.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalBegin View Post
An embarrassingly BAD, BAD, BAD video ... those repeated excerpts of Stevie spinning in front of her mic stand are painful.
They just took the Seven Wonders video and used that footage. That's why it doesn't fit.