The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default BN...who wears the pants in that relationship?

Yes ok...I admit I'm a bit slow, but I finally got to see a real version of DR, last night and came out of it having giggled all the way thru .What really struck me though is how much Stevie came across as the one wearing the pants in that dynamic!
Oh yes, LB throws a wobbly or two, rolls his eyes a bit and comes across as all aggressive, but at the end of the day it's Stevie who seems to be the voice of reason , albeit very subtley...(ie the Mark Needem/Chris L-A mix thing and a number of heart to hearts with LB...those fuzzy camera moments and all)
LB even admits it's her final word that counts (the mixing thing again) and on a couple of occasions admits defeat with his look..(the mixup with the managers contract thingy).I'm really glad she's the boss, coz of all the long lasting realationships I know of,the ones that succeed the most, are where the gals wear the pants.. Interesting huh?

Last edited by tuigirl; 08-13-2004 at 08:00 AM..
Old 08-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the DR documentary is definitely a hard tool to use to judge the dynamics of Stevie and Lindsey's current working relationship-- at the time, even in the documentary you could see how fragile things were as a unit. Perhaps Lindsey was a little more willing to just bite his tongue on certain things and squash arguements between them before they got into full-blown fights (only one of those was actually shown.) I'm sure there were MANY fights/disagreements that didn't make it on to the documentary, but overall, I think that Lindsey's passiveness on the documentary, and his desire to make things work this time around as a band (and do things differently) he might have just kept his mouth shut at times when he reallllllly wanted to say his piece.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hard to say. I think that during BN Lindsey was the dominant one, then that became a power struggle once they entered Fleetwood Mac, when Stevie tried to take over that role. I beleive she was successful in becoming a dominant presence, although certainly Lindsey did not cater to her. Has that changed now? Is Lindsey once again the boss? I think he is the boss musically but in other areas, Stevie is still dominant.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My opinion is it's an uneasy partnership. After all the junk they've been through with each other, I think it boils down to who feels the most strongly about a particular issue and then hoping the other will back down. In the DR doc, Lindsey did seem to be a bit of a whiner and Stevie seemed much more down-to-earth. But as Merf said, there was surely so much more to the story that we didn't see, that it is difficult to make judgments based on the little bit that we were allowed to see.

So I'd say they both wear one leg of the same pair of pants.

"Don't f*&k with anyone's dog and don't ever date a musician."
Old 08-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

One facet that jumps out in DR is the change in Stevie since the "Tusk" documentary. What a difference 25 years makes! In "Tusk," Stevie seemed to be the meek little wallflower of the group- when she wasn't sitting around on the couch working on her drawings and poetry, she was making coffee for the band or taking ballet lessons. And she obeyed Lindsey's vocal/arrangement direction without a lot of additional input. Fast-forward 25 years and here we have Stevie and her spiritcatcher barreling in like a force of nature. When she played her new demos for the boys, it wasn't a matter of asking them whether they liked them, it was a matter of "you like these songs, end of story." And this time she was a lot more in control of her vocal contributions, as evidenced by Lindsey's laissez-faire approach to adding Stevie's vocals to his songs. And she totally went medieval on Lindsey when he suggested the lyric change to "Thrown Down!" That would never have happened 25 years ago.

Certainly the power dynamic has shifted because Stevie has become synonymous with Fleetwood Mac. In all reality, there is no FM without her, as evidenced by the fact that FM carried on moderately successfully after Lindsey, but completely dissipated when Stevie finally left before "Time." And the fact that she has a string of platinum solo albums to her credit might have a tendency to boost her credibility as well. Don't get me wrong- she's definitely a team player, but, at the same time, she has the insight to know that she wields the ultimate power within the group, which, arguably used to be Lindsey's domain. Today Lindsey is still the creative force behind the band, but he does not have absolute control like he did back in the day. To compensate, he has become a lot more politically savvy and has learned (the hard way) about the art of compromise. Unfortunately, at the same time, Stevie has learned the art of sticking to her guns! ;-)
Old 08-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuigirl
LB even admits it's her final word that counts (the mixing thing again)

Well he left that up to Stevie because it was HER songs they were discussing who should mix...most of his songs were basically done, and she has the say in her own songs...but yes even though would not have happen in say 1976..

Chris
Old 08-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think we're all missing the bigger picture here.

If you watch 'Destiny Rules' VERY closely, you'll see that it's neither Stevie nor Lindsey wearing the pants in their relationship. And that it is, in fact........

spoiler ahead

consider yourself warned

Ray Lindsey & Karen Johnston!!!
Both of them sit quietly on the side-lines... master puppeteers. Calling the shots stealthily. Slowly taking over control.

Very clever on their parts.

Stevie & Lindsey better sneak out together and rent a copy of 'All About Eve'... ASAP.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merf
I think the DR documentary is definitely a hard tool to use to judge the dynamics of Stevie and Lindsey's current working relationship-- at the time, even in the documentary you could see how fragile things were as a unit. Perhaps Lindsey was a little more willing to just bite his tongue on certain things and squash arguements between them before they got into full-blown fights (only one of those was actually shown.) I'm sure there were MANY fights/disagreements that didn't make it on to the documentary, but overall, I think that Lindsey's passiveness on the documentary, and his desire to make things work this time around as a band (and do things differently) he might have just kept his mouth shut at times when he reallllllly wanted to say his piece.
From what i saw, that was my impression, too. Like he was all, "oh, Stevie could throw a hissy about whatever, and i'll just quiet down..."
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew

If you watch 'Destiny Rules' VERY closely, you'll see that it's neither Stevie nor Lindsey wearing the pants in their relationship. And that it is, in fact........

spoiler ahead

consider yourself warned

Both of them sit quietly on the side-lines... master puppeteers. Calling the shots stealthily. Slowly taking over control.

Stevie & Lindsey better sneak out together and rent a copy of 'All About Eve'... ASAP.

Of course, I think everyone should
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-14-2004, 07:00 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew

spoiler ahead

consider yourself warned

Who knows, maybe soon we're gonna see Karen starting to twist during Stand Back and Ray Lindsey jumping onstage to play for a lucky Come girl...

Romy
Old 08-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Senior Ledgie

You know, this is an interesting dynamic.

Theoretically, in BN---as someone said earlier, Lindsey was probably the dominant presence. He was the one at home creating the music and in the studio, etc. But being uber talented obviously doesn't get you very far--so when they joined FM, Stevie's sex appeal made her more powerful than they probably could have imagined.

Insert 25 years, and you've got Stevie--not only one of rock music's classic icons, but by far, the most infamous member of FM; but she can't really do it all without Lindsey, at least...not anymore. And this is what I mean: Stevie Nicks could not have done as successful a tour as FM has just done, as evident in the TiSL tour. That said, FM could not have done as successful a tour if Stevie were not on board.

In the end it's probably the greatest story of all, right? Can't live with you, can't live without? In the end, that's probably the greatest struggle--who gets what half of the pants.
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 08-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Did you say Stevie is the voice of reason? I'm quite sure you've mistaken 'reason' for 'irrational, whimsical illogicality'.

you're killin' me!
AMber

Old 08-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti

So I'd say they both wear one leg of the same pair of pants.
That's been the problem since day one!
Old 08-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfirefly
And this is what I mean: Stevie Nicks could not have done as successful a tour as FM has just done, as evident in the TiSL tour. That said, FM could not have done as successful a tour if Stevie were not on board.
That's true, I just think it's interesting that Stevie made about the same amount of money playing a Say You Will show as she did per show with TISL, she can just tour more extensively when she's part of a Mac tour.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well except for rare occasions Lindsey is the only one wearing pants, Stevie favors dresses Sorry i just had to say this

He Will Burn You Down