The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Who's your favorite celebrity chef?
Jean-Georges Vongerichten 1 4.55%
Mario Batali 2 9.09%
Bobby Flay 4 18.18%
Emeril Lagasse 1 4.55%
other 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2010, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Who's your favorite celebrity chef?

The food network is probably my favorite channel on tv to watch. Shows like Iron Chef, Diners, Drive-in's, and Dives, and others to me make for absolutely fascinating tv watching. I know some of you out there are fans as well so I thought I'd do this fun poll!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i watch this station all the time~

paula deen is my fav, my kitchen is filled w/ her items, such as her pan set, knives...~ when i make her fried chicken, my family gobbles it up, it's delish~

i also like giada, bobby flay, the neeley's, the guy from bigdaddy's house, anything guy fieri does, ooooowwww & sandra lee~

i used to be a huge rachel ray fan, but as of late not so much~

i love iron chef, diners, drive ins..., the challenge shows~ i also like man v food from the travel channel, & that bizarre foods show where that andrew guy will eat ANYTHING, & i mean anything~ i don't think i have seen him turn down any anatomy part of an animal~ he was also drinking that coffee that is mad from cat poop~

i love to cook, i cook every night but friday~ plus i cook for my daycare kids~ i adore making something so mouth wateringly fabulous, especially for my family~ they get good home cooking always~ i have learned alot form watching food network over the years~ i really love when it's near thanksgiving & christmas & they show all the fine foods that people fix from all over~
Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm crushing pretty hard on Jamie Oliver, especially since watching Food Revolution the other night!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
i watch this station all the time~

paula deen is my fav, my kitchen is filled w/ her items, such as her pan set, knives...~ when i make her fried chicken, my family gobbles it up, it's delish~

i also like giada, bobby flay, the neeley's, the guy from bigdaddy's house, anything guy fieri does, ooooowwww & sandra lee~

i used to be a huge rachel ray fan, but as of late not so much~

i love iron chef, diners, drive ins..., the challenge shows~ i also like man v food from the travel channel, & that bizarre foods show where that andrew guy will eat ANYTHING, & i mean anything~ i don't think i have seen him turn down any anatomy part of an animal~ he was also drinking that coffee that is mad from cat poop~

i love to cook, i cook every night but friday~ plus i cook for my daycare kids~ i adore making something so mouth wateringly fabulous, especially for my family~ they get good home cooking always~ i have learned alot form watching food network over the years~ i really love when it's near thanksgiving & christmas & they show all the fine foods that people fix from all over~
I'm not sure if people like Paula Deen, Rachel Ray or Giada would technically fall under the term "chef." They are certainly "cooks," but I think "chef" takes on the connotation of having mastered a certain level of training at accredited institutions or under the tutelage of certain Michelin-rated eateries. Not sure though... any thoughts about the cook/chef boundary? I happen to really admire Nigella Lawson, who is definitely not a chef. Her dishes are way too rich and gluttonous, so the food is just an afterthought for me. But she has incredible presence, charm, spunk and poise. She keeps it real... but fabulous too.

Personally I love the concept of haute cuisine and mastering the technical craft of food preparation... but as a vegetarian I am appalled by the emphasis on meat. I would love to see some haute innovation within the realm of vegan/vegetarian cuisine; it is a severely unmet market segment. I just cannot fathom why so little effort has been expended towards innovating non-meat dishes- the possibilities are virtually limitless relative to the much shorter list of animals that are considered edible.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My fav is Mario Batali

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
I'm crushing pretty hard on Jamie Oliver, especially since watching Food Revolution the other night!
i have a funny story about him, when they called him 'the naked chef'~ i was sitting w/ my granny eating thanksgiving dinner (may she RIP) & she was telling me that she loves watching food network, but said she hadn't seen jamie's show yet & wondered why the call him 'the naked chef'~ i told her, i have no idea, but whenever i have seen him, he is fully clothed, except he cooks behind a counter, so who knows if he is wearing pants, yeah i was trying to be funny~ my granny looks at me all seriously & says, well if that's the case, i hope he wears a hairnet~ i about choked on my turkey from laughter, i couldn't believe my sweet little granny would come up w/ sucha naughty funny~ now every time i see ole jamie, i can't help but chuckle a little & wonder....is he wearing a hair net?~

also i left barefoot contessa off of my list~ i like her too & i love when they showing her food shopping around the hamptons where she lives~
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Without a doubt it's Ina Garten, from Barefoot Contessa. She.is.amaziiiinggggg.

oh, and i guess also anybody who goes on the Food Network Cake Challenge....i love that show!!!!

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
Without a doubt it's Ina Garten, from Barefoot Contessa. She.is.amaziiiinggggg.

oh, and i guess also anybody who goes on the Food Network Cake Challenge....i love that show!!!!
i love the challenges too~ there is one girl who almost always competes in the cake challenges, her name escapes me tho~ i always root for her to lose~ i don't know if you saw the episode, but she damaged someone else's cake that was in the fridge, they filmed her doing so & she lied & denied that it happened even when they showed her the footage~ she is real snotty~
Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
i love the challenges too~ there is one girl who almost always competes in the cake challenges, her name escapes me tho~ i always root for her to lose~ i don't know if you saw the episode, but she damaged someone else's cake that was in the fridge, they filmed her doing so & she lied & denied that it happened even when they showed her the footage~ she is real snotty~
yes! If it was the one on last night - Miley Cyrus's Sweet Sixteen, i did see it! What a snob!

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Anthony Bourdain.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
I felt so bad for him. Those lunch ladies gave him such a hard time.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Anthony Bourdain.
!

I voted for Bobby Flay as my fave because AB should have been on the poll list...but Tony Bourdain is it (with B. Flay a close second)!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Anthony Bourdain.
Yeah, I love him and Andrew Zimmern!

but I gotta go w/ Ina Garten! Sara and I got to meet her and she is amazing. I just want her to move in and cook everything for me around the clock...
Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I'm not sure if people like Paula Deen, Rachel Ray or Giada would technically fall under the term "chef." They are certainly "cooks," but I think "chef" takes on the connotation of having mastered a certain level of training at accredited institutions or under the tutelage of certain Michelin-rated eateries. Not sure though... any thoughts about the cook/chef boundary?
Excellent distinction. Those folks are good cooks with a solid knowledge of the essentials of their craft, but they aren't artists. They're pop artists at best. We can love their recipes & their personalities, but they aren't chefs.

A cook is an E.R. doc. A chef is an eye surgeon.

I voted for Mario V., who is a chef, & a damned good one.

But my favorite chef on TV is José Andrés, who hosts a Spanish cooking show on PBS (not on the food channel). Please check him out if you haven't heard of him or seen his show. His culinary ideas & presentation are delectable.

If I were a multimillionaire, I'd hire José as my household chef, & instruct him to prepare whatever he wants day to day.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I'm not sure if people like Paula Deen, Rachel Ray or Giada would technically fall under the term "chef." They are certainly "cooks," but I think "chef" takes on the connotation of having mastered a certain level of training at accredited institutions or under the tutelage of certain Michelin-rated eateries.
As much as I don't think it shows through her lack of creativity, Giada IS a "chef"