Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Danny Kirwan Discussion

Ok so this forum is pretty dead at the best of times. You can get 50 threads a day started over at the twirling gypsy forum (oh sorry Rumours Forum) but anything pre or post Rumours seems to be pretty quiet.

So, bored as I am and with a couple of glasses of wine (or so) inside of me I thought I'd start listening to some Danny Kirwan stuff and then logically followed that through with a starting a thread on here. I apologise in advance if I don't make enough sense!

We all know that Danny was a brilliant, under-rated guitarist who sadly has been overshadowed by Peter.

Four FM albums (more if you include Pious Bird of Good Omen or English Rose), two Tramp albums and three solo albums were all we got from Danny. Oh, well that and a few contributions to solo albums by Jeremy, Christine and bits and pieces of miscellaneous stuff.

For one so young and brilliant we have so little to look back on of his work. We have had comebacks by Peter, Jeremy, Dave W and Bob Weston yet we will probably never see a comeback by Danny, we will never again hear a new song from him.

What, therefore, is your favourite Danny song, what do you consider his best period, etc.

For me, it will always be the early stuff that I like the best, Purple Dancer, Dragonfly, Coming Your Way and Although The Sun Is Shining and Trinity being my favourites.

I know so many people like his Bare Trees/Future Games work, but for me, nothing has surpassed his earlier work.

What about the rest of you?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I also like Trinity and Jewel Eyed Judy, but I guess I'm one of those who prefer his work on Future Games/Bare Trees.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Future Games/Bare Trees, for me, is the peak. I think his later solo work runs from interesting to gorgeous, but Future Games/Bare Trees is all sublime.

My absolute favorite Kirwan track is "Dust" -- rhythmically pulls you in like a slipstream, sonically transporting and lush, thematically moving. And his voice. wow. It's also my favorite non-Stevie, -Lindsey, or -Christine Mac track.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

[QUOTE=TrueFaith77;847676]Future Games/Bare Trees, for me, is the peak. I think his later solo work runs from interesting to gorgeous, but Future Games/Bare Trees is all sublime. My absolute favorite Kirwan track is "Dust" -- rhythmically pulls you in like a slipstream, sonically transporting and lush, thematically moving.

I agree! I went back to listen to some of Danny's songs and I think "Dust" is the best. "Sands of Time" from Future Games is also a great one! I can't say much about solo albums. I only have Second Chapter.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I can't say much about solo albums. I only have Second Chapter.
Correct me if I'm wrong but these are generally considered out of print?

http://rapidshare.com/files/15087912...re_Big_Boy.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/15087912...n_San_Juan.rar
Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One of Kirwan's best songs was done early in Fleetwood Mac, "Without You". It used to be on the U.K. release of "Then Play On". In the states it was released on "English Rose", and later on "The Original Fleetwood Mac" remastered CD.

That song may contain Kirwan's most passionate guitar solo. He was doing an excellent "Love That Burns" imitation of Peter Green. I like all the ones chiliD mentioned, but this song deserves a mention.

I'm also a fly to flypaper when it comes to "Sunny Side of Heaven". You can't teach that talent, and it's why Green, and Kirwan would've been extremely proficient, and successful together had it not been for outside distractions, and problems. Only a handful of bands ever had that top notch quality songwriting talent from two members.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post

Thanks for the links. Yes, I do think both are considered out of print. I bought Second Chapter in the '90s at a used record store.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post

Nice...........i'll download those this evening.

I got the reissue of Second Chapter last year. Not spectacular and I dont expect these two to be classics, but as a fan of Danny's work i'd really like to hear them to get a fuller picture of his whole career.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked his contributions to the Blues Jam At Chess album..."Like It This Way", "World In A Tangle", etc.

Other than "When You Say", he didn't have any "stinkers". He may have had some limitations lyrically at times, but overall, I really liked his stuff.

Ones that "rise to the top" that I like most (in no order):

Jigsaw Puzzle Blues
One Sunny Day
My Dream
World In Harmony
Something Inside Of Me
Dragonfly
Purple Dancer
Station Man
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Sands Of Time
Woman Of 1000 Years
Child Of Mine
Sunny Side Of Heaven

Not too thrilled with the (over)use of the synth on his Midnight In San Juan album, those parts could've/should've been played on electric guitar by Danny, IMHO...would've made the songs a whole lot more listenable. From my first listen back when it came out (in the AGE of "synths") to now, that synth sound just grates on my nerves and ruins the great songs. That said, that album is actually my favorite of his three "solo" albums.