User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodmod View Post
I'm reading through the book as well and am a little confused with Hernan keep mentioning that he started working with Fleetwood Mac when he remixed the singles from Rumours, I am not aware of any single mixes for the Rumours songs, or am I missing something?
Poor editing. He means the few single mixes for the white album, particularly Rhiannon.

I finished both the Tusk and the Rumours books, and I think they both have a lot of the same flaws (and perhaps strengths). I just wish the strengths (insight into the decisions governing tracking, band vibe in the studio, nonrecording activities such as touring and filming) were strengthier and the flaws were not so omnipresent. (Anyone notice, for example, how Ken and his girlfriend du jour are the only two characters in the book at any given time who aren’t described as neurotic, drugged out of one’s skull, prone to outbursts, overdiplomatic [I was going to say toadying], unengaged in the final product, party-hungry, and generally all-around childish? Both these books strike me as facile and largely phony—as if they were both attempting to convince today’s readers that silly things that happened 40 or 45 years ago were portentous or otherwise essential for an understanding of or appreciation for the music. The other error in judgment I’ve already mentioned elsewhere: the technology descriptions aren’t suitably tailored to mean anything of value to non-recording engineers, and the result is that paragraphs and paragraphs—maybe pages and pages—of text are soporific, as endless lists of equipment manufacturers and models are strung out beyond our capacity to endure. In these books, the mechanics of recording engineering aren’t made accessible to us readers, which is a bummer.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 01-16-2020 at 01:04 PM..
Old 01-16-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodmod View Post
I'm reading through the book as well and am a little confused with Hernan keep mentioning that he started working with Fleetwood Mac when he remixed the singles from Rumours, I am not aware of any single mixes for the Rumours songs, or am I missing something?
I'm pretty sure there were edits for radio. Maybe that's what he meant. I don't recall. I can't stand that his story is in italics print in the book. It drives me batty.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I can't stand that his story is in italics print in the book. It drives me batty.
Same, drives me mad

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine had a lot of keys pulled from Lindsey's songs because he wanted raw.
What does this mean? *Oh never mind I figured it out after I posted it. I am clueless how to delete a post these days LOL.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I love The Ledge. I feel a part of it. I don't even mind people that disagree with me. I love a few of you that I've gotten to know outside of the board.
What irritates me is when people tell you what you should or shouldn't express because they don't agree.

Back on Topic. I'm half way through the book. (I'm reading 3 damn things at one time. Which is usually the case when I get bored with one book.)
So far there's not a lot we already don't know. It's just from Ken and Hernan's POV. Let me sum it up.

Christine's songs are solid and everyone loved recording them. Especially, Brown Eyes and Never Forget. Dennis was around a lot. He let Ken drive his car. Dennis drank and drove fast cars a lot. Christine was in love. Christine had a lot of keys pulled from Lindsey's songs because he wanted raw.

Stevie was becoming a superstar, and LB and Mick weren't giving her the recognition she deserved. That lack of attention pushed her even harder. So she started writing on her own with Tom Moncrieff. Songs that ended up on Bella Donna were written. She slept with a lot of people. Including Hernan, Mick and Dennis.

Lindsey was taking over as musical director for the band which caused conflict with Ken and Mick. However, he didn't know how to communicate what he wanted from the band. And the band didn't know what he wanted. The result was rockabilly and punk sounds that didn't make sense to Ken. Lindsey's mood goes from 0-100 in 10 seconds. Lindsey fired Hernan and then hired him back.

Mick went along so he could collect a paycheck and eventually go bankrupt.
John did what he was told and left.

In the end it all worked out because it sold 4 million units.

THE END
Thanks for the cliff notes version of the book. Now I don't have to buy and read it

Now for your comments on the ledge. I was a lurker for a VERY long time before joining. I regret not being here for those early years. Each of us are drawn together from all over the world for one purpose - sharing our opinions about everything Mac related. We all have different opinions on what we like OR don't like about the Mac (and its members). I have engaged in some great debates here but always with respect. However there were a few times and a few members where its senseless to engage them because they cannot handle such a debate. Having said that, I will share my top 3 crazy moments from the ledge.

Had a lively debate with the former moderator from Italy (her screen name escapes me). I actually forget what we were debating about the Mac. I got threatened by 2 or 3 members here that I had "no right" to engage her in any such debate. They thought I was out of bounds to dare question her about something Mac related. Really? How crazy was that? Our debate was civil and not personal and no name calling, etc.

Once a member posted something in chit chat about the passing of their loved one. I responded and tried to comfort them. Another member then responded to me and cast me to hell with religious cursing quoting the Bible. Yeah, how crazy was that?

When Lindsey was fired, it set off a firestorm on this site (deservingly so). When the tour was announced many were skeptical about the success of the tour. I responded with my opinion that it was obvious it was going to be very commercially successful. Stevie just came off her most successful solo tour with sold out arenas, etc. Well, that just set some members off. One member was so upset that I predicted a successful tour that he openly posted he was leaving the board because of me and my post predicting a successful tour. And he was a long time member. The tour ended up being one of their most successful world tours ever.

Now those are my top 3 least favorite moments of the ledge.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I have engaged in some great debates here but always with respect. However there were a few times and a few members where its senseless to engage them because they cannot handle such a debate. Having said that, I will share my top 3 crazy moments from the ledge.
you are extremely lucky!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-17-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Thanks for the cliff notes version of the book. Now I don't have to buy and read it

Now for your comments on the ledge. I was a lurker for a VERY long time before joining. I regret not being here for those early years. Each of us are drawn together from all over the world for one purpose - sharing our opinions about everything Mac related. We all have different opinions on what we like OR don't like about the Mac (and its members). I have engaged in some great debates here but always with respect. However there were a few times and a few members where its senseless to engage them because they cannot handle such a debate. Having said that, I will share my top 3 crazy moments from the ledge.

Had a lively debate with the former moderator from Italy (her screen name escapes me). I actually forget what we were debating about the Mac. I got threatened by 2 or 3 members here that I had "no right" to engage her in any such debate. They thought I was out of bounds to dare question her about something Mac related. Really? How crazy was that? Our debate was civil and not personal and no name calling, etc.

Once a member posted something in chit chat about the passing of their loved one. I responded and tried to comfort them. Another member then responded to me and cast me to hell with religious cursing quoting the Bible. Yeah, how crazy was that?

When Lindsey was fired, it set off a firestorm on this site (deservingly so). When the tour was announced many were skeptical about the success of the tour. I responded with my opinion that it was obvious it was going to be very commercially successful. Stevie just came off her most successful solo tour with sold out arenas, etc. Well, that just set some members off. One member was so upset that I predicted a successful tour that he openly posted he was leaving the board because of me and my post predicting a successful tour. And he was a long time member. The tour ended up being one of their most successful world tours ever.

Now those are my top 3 least favorite moments of the ledge.
That's mild!! haha...Glad you made it through all of that.

I was hated by the shippers in the past. How dare I conclude that $tevie and Lindsey don't love each other. He was on Soldier's Angel!! They both hugged and had tears after Landslide!!! They smiled at each other during Say Goodbye!! He doesn't really love Kristen!!! Christine is ruining everything!! Nobody in the band likes Christine, especially not Lindsey or $tevie. Bob Welch, Danny Kirwan, and that Peter guy aren't important!! Just you watch, they will have a Buckingham Nicks II album!! You'll see.

That sounds exaggerated but that was sort of the meat of it. Oh, I almost forgot; every $tevie lyric is about Lindsey and every Lindsey lyric is about $tevie.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 01-17-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Old 01-17-2020, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just you watch, they will have a Buckingham Nicks II album!! You'll see.
For all practical purposes, Say You Will was BN II (and III due to it’s length). It just happened to include one of the best rhythm sections in rock history.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
For all practical purposes, Say You Will was BN II (and III due to it’s length). It just happened to include one of the best rhythm sections in rock history.
Is it bad that I can barely tolerate SYW, but LOVE BuckVie?

SYW is depressing, but BuckVie is fun and uplifting!
Old 01-17-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Is it bad that I can barely tolerate SYW, but LOVE BuckVie?

SYW is depressing, but BuckVie is fun and uplifting!
I never thought of it that way. I watch the two different documentaries and I can see why the output is more bright and positive on BuckVie.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find somewhere to put these spirit catchers that I bought for Bob Dylan.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
I think Christine stated nearly the same thing. something like "The album without me is basically a B/N album backed by John and Mick."
Old 01-17-2020, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never thought of it that way. I watch the two different documentaries and I can see why the output is more bright and positive on BuckVie.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find somewhere to put these spirit catchers that I bought for Bob Dylan.
I'd like to suggest a place...a witchy's dark place.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of SYW. We are now to a point where the gap between SYW and today is greater than the gap between SYW and Tango.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Christine stated nearly the same thing. something like "The album without me is basically a B/N album backed by John and Mick."

Yes..I must have said that a million times in 2003. It’s all about the “Branding” It’s just like calling the 2017 album Buckingham McVie instead of Fleetwood Mac
Old 01-17-2020, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote: