Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "All Over Again"

So, do y'all think this song is about leaving FM? Especially with the part about finally breaking the chain and all?

On that note, I have to give Steve some credit for making me play my Time CD a lot today. What he said about it in the "Which ones do you still have to get?" thread made me realize that I needed to listen to it more. I've had a tendency to only listen to "I Do," "Talkin' to my Heart," "Winds of Change," and "Nothing Without You" but I made a point of listening to the rest of it today and I think it will be one of my summer CDs. I love "All Over Again," "Nights in Estoril," and "Dreamin' the Dream" and I'm wondering why I didn't like "Hollywood (Some Other Kind of Town)" when I first heard it. It's a pretty cool tune. Consider me a big Time fan at this point, though I don't know about Dave Mason's offerings on it.

Last edited by GateandGarden; 05-14-2005 at 10:34 PM..
Old 05-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I assumed 'All Over Again' was about Chris leaving Mac - it seems obvious but I might be guilty of not looking deeply enough... it seems like a definitive parting shot.

'Time' was the last Mac album I bought. Coming through the catalogue starting as a Green/Kirwan blues-era Mac fan, I prejudged 'Time' as a load of kak, but I eventually decided to give it a chance. I really enjoyed it to be honest and now I play it quite a lot. I like Bekka's voice and I think Dave Mason's songs are just fine, Billy is a really solid act and Chris's songs are her usual strong stuff. I even quite like 'These Strange Times'... Despite the fact that the album doesn't flow very well and it seems a bit disjointed, I have a lot of uh... time for it
Old 05-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Coming through the catalogue starting as a Green/Kirwan blues-era Mac fan, I prejudged 'Time' as a load of kak, but I eventually decided to give it a chance.
For the longest time it seems I heard (well, read) nothing but bad comments about the album, so that was discouraging. But when I started reading threads on the Legboard often enough I ran across fans who actually preferred it to some other CDs, including Matt. So I then realized I was probably missing out by not buying it "because it didn't have Stevie and Lindsey on it." It only took a few seconds for me to change my mind, though. I listened to a snippet of "Talkin' to my Heart" and fell in love with that one, and that meant I needed the whole package. I am so glad I gave it a chance.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
So, do y'all think this song is about leaving FM? Especially with the part about finally breaking the chain and all?

On that note, I have to give Steven some credit for making me play my Time CD a lot today. What he said about it in the "Which ones do you still have to get?" thread made me realize that I needed to listen to it more. I've had a tendency to only listen to "I Do," "Talkin' to my Heart," "Winds of Change," and "Nothing Without You" but I made a point of listening to the rest of it today and I think it will be one of my summer CDs. I love "All Over Again," "Nights in Estoril," and "Dreamin' the Dream" and I'm wondering why I didn't like "Hollywood (Some Other Kind of Town)" when I first heard it. It's a pretty cool tune. Consider me a big Time fan at this point, though I don't know about Dave Mason's offerings on it.
I've always thought it was sort of her goodbye to them...the words certainly are appropriate. Luckily she got sucked back in to do the Dance.

I actually haven't heard that album in awhile; maybe I'll pop it in tomorrow. I love all Chris's stuff, and msot of the Bekka/Billy stuff as well. 'Talkin' to My Heart' is a really energizing song IMO, I always liked it. but i agree w/ you in that dave's stuff doesn't really grab me.

-Lis
Old 05-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not to sound snide, but of course it was about her leaving the band. What else COULD it have been about?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Not to sound snide, but of course it was about her leaving the band. What else COULD it have been about?
I considered that maybe it was about leaving a romantic relationship, but that seemed less likely than it being about the band (to me).
Old 05-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Despite the fact that the album doesn't flow very well...
Again, when this topic comes up, I somehow feel compelled to repost my alternate running order for Time...after months & months of trial & error after the album's release, this one finally seemed to pull out SOME sort of even flow to the album:

I Do
Talkin' To My Heart
I Wonder Why
Winds Of Change
Sooner Or Later
Dreaming The Dream
Nights In Estoril
Nothing Without You
I Got It In For You
Hollywood (Some Other Kind Of Town)
Blow By Blow
These Strange Times
All Over Again
Old 05-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I love.... "Nights in Estoril"
Anyone who's been posting on the Ledge for a while, knows that anytime 'Time' is mentioned, I can't resist re-professing my love for "Nights In Estoril."

My second favorite Christine song ever ("As Long As You Follow" is #1), and I always tell people that 'Time' is worth owning for that song alone (though I personally feel it's worth owning, period).

By the way... am I the only person who likes Dave Mason's contributions? Especially "I Wonder Why" (with those killer Bekka backing vocals).
Old 05-15-2005, 05:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Especially "I Wonder Why" (with those killer Bekka backing vocals).
I do like that one, but "Blow By Blow" is pretty questionable to these ears.

Chris' songs make this album worth owning, definitely.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 05-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Again, when this topic comes up, I somehow feel compelled to repost my alternate running order for Time...after months & months of trial & error after the album's release, this one finally seemed to pull out SOME sort of even flow to the album:

I Do
Talkin' To My Heart
I Wonder Why
Winds Of Change
Sooner Or Later
Dreaming The Dream
Nights In Estoril
Nothing Without You
I Got It In For You
Hollywood (Some Other Kind Of Town)
Blow By Blow
These Strange Times
All Over Again
I love your alternate tracklist. Much better than what they came up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyStew
By the way... am I the only person who likes Dave Mason's contributions? Especially "I Wonder Why" (with those killer Bekka backing vocals).
I'll have to listen to "I Wonder Why" again. It was "Blow by Blow" that bothered me, really. I just didn't like it.

I thought about you when I was playing "Nights in Estoril" in the car yesterday. I remembered how much you love it and I was thinking you're right about it.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I pretty much like the whole album EXCEPT for Dave's songs. They just don't suit FM.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All Over Again is one of my top ten favorite Christine songs.Temporary One which was done for the Dance is a nice song too but All Over Again has those great lyrics of farewell. All her work and Bekka's work on Time are good and I will say I like Mason's I Wonder Why probably because of Bekka's backing vocals at the near end of the song. Time is an album that often gets ignored or ripped apart but it is one that I find myself popping in from time to time! IMO I favor time over Behind the Mask.

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 05-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I pretty much like the whole album EXCEPT for Dave's songs. They just don't suit FM.
What's funny is that they don't really suit Dave Mason, either. As a lot of folks know, I have all of his solo albums and his albums with Traffic. I'm sure Mick was hoping that Dave would have done something along the lines of "Alone Together" for this album. I will say that I actually liked the version of "Blow By Blow" that appeared on the 1994 album "Soccer Rocks The Globe." Dave wasn't trying to come off like a rock god, and the song worked.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Junior Ledgie

This is making me want to go listen to "Time". Thanks for the suggestion. I have neglected this (like others have said they've done).

I'm new here, by the way. (Well, I'm a lurker who finally registered. Mac fan since 1973.)
Old 05-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGames
This is making me want to go listen to "Time". Thanks for the suggestion. I have neglected this (like others have said they've done).

I'm new here, by the way. (Well, I'm a lurker who finally registered. Mac fan since 1973.)
Welcome to The Ledge, Future Games! You've been a fan since 9 years before I was born! (That doesn't make you old, by the way, it just makes me painfully young! ) Anyway, make yourself at home here!