Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

“Christine and I made a pact …”

Christine never made that kind of pact with Stevie.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-07-2018, 04:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
I think what Stevie meant was that everyone in the band, regardless of gender, receives equal pay for equal work, not that everyone in the band is paid the same regardless of their individual roles. That is what the Times Up movement is about -- not that men and women are just paid equally, but that they are paid equally for equal work.

Therefore, Lindsey may make more money for producing albums, Stevie, Lindsey and Christine may make more money for writing songs, etc.

Weren't Stevie and Christine tied for third position on the 2015 Forbes list for Highest Paid Female Singers due to Fleetwood Mac's tour that year? I don't know where those numbers come from, but it would imply that no one received more money just for showing up on tour.
I am not being a devil's advocate but I am curious about your statement. What is equal pay vs equal work in Fleetwood Mac. For example, Lindsey plays guitar all night and sings the same amount of songs as Stevie. Why should he get paid less for touring? Mick founded the band and gave both Stevie and Lindsey their big break. He plays the hardest, banging on drums all night. Why should he get paid less than Stevie when touring.
What is considered equal work? To make it even clearer... Stevie would never go there to say her singing is not equal to the other band members. The band would never tell her that she does not play an instrument so she gets paid less. THAT would be and equal work example.
Time's up Stevie

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-07-2018 at 04:45 AM..
Old 02-07-2018, 05:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I am not being a devil's advocate but I am curious about your statement. What is equal pay vs equal work in Fleetwood Mac. For example, Lindsey plays guitar all night and sings the same amount of songs as Stevie. Why should he get paid less for touring? Mick founded the band and gave both Stevie and Lindsey their big break. He plays the hardest, banging on drums all night. Why should he get paid less than Stevie when touring.
What is considered equal work? To make it even clearer... Stevie would never go there to say her singing is not equal to the other band members. The band would never tell her that she does not play an instrument so she gets paid less. THAT would be and equal work example.
Time's up Stevie
Stevie was talking about touring. Lindsey made the most from Fleetwood Mac because he was a main producer plus writer. Christine and Stevie got songwriters royalties so they made a lot more than Mick or John. When it comes to touring they all make the same.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Stevie was talking about touring. Lindsey made the most from Fleetwood Mac because he was a main producer plus writer. Christine and Stevie got songwriters royalties so they made a lot more than Mick or John. When it comes to touring they all make the same.
No one was talking about royalties. There is NO proof what so ever they are paid the same for touring. When the Mac started to splinter do you really believe Stevie was paid the same as Rick and Billy? She knew and her management knew Stevie was a huge draw and she was paid more to tour with the Mac. Look at her interviews where she says her management told her to leave Fleetwood Mac after Lindsey left and don't record with them anymore. She felt obligated to stay in the band because she knew if she left the arenas would be empty. Its just a sad fact unfortunately. After Christine left there was another vacuum. You are kidding yourself if you really believe Stevie split everything equally during the Unleashed and Say You Will tours. Her solo tours yield almost the same numbers.
Back in the old days yes they were probably paid equally for touring but not after all the break ups. This is not unique to the Mac. Most bands that splinter and need to keep or bring back other key members have sweetheart touring deals. Even worse look at Lindsey and Christine's solo tour. It is so sad but reality to see 2/3 of songwriters of the Mac perform and could not fill a small theater while Stevie was selling out arenas. No way her management allows things to be split equally between the 5. However all band members are profiting from this equation so they are not complaining. I don't agree with it but I am not dumb to know what reality is.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-07-2018 at 06:20 AM..
Old 02-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^This.

As much as I hate it, it has to be true. OGB doesn't deserve it, but I'm sure she gets it. She's the one who puts the asses in the seats.

Of course there's no accounting for taste.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yes, and putting asses in seats or selling records/cds/downloads whatever *IS* the "work" in a big commercial band. Not all these tasks like who pushes the record button or who strums the guitar or whatever that people are going on about. The big picture is that the job is selling product. The product being sold is either a tour or an album or a book or a movie or whatever. Your job is to come up with the content (the songs in the case of an album, or the show if a tour) and then sell the hell out of it. You don't have to like this definition, but that is what show business is. (I hear you, Lindsey..'but what about the art, the art'.......though even he totally knows this is what 'the business' is all about ).

So 'equal pay for equal work' in this context would mean if any one of them could sell the same amount of seats/albums as the next, they'd all get paid the same. They don't. Doesn't mean they don't put in just as much effort and do just as many, or even more, daily tasks.....it comes down to who sells product. And she does, more than anyone else in the band. That said, Lindsey is in a very solid position to argue for more money because while she is more the public face of the band, and generates more publicity and sells more seats with her higher name recognition, he is the lynchpin of producing the content that they are trying to sell. Mac albums without him didn't do as well as Mac albums with him. He and his management can argue that he is the architect of the sound that made them so successful and why the songs recorded 40 years ago are still selling well and are respected. He's gotten better at marketing himself in this role and telling everyone how everyone else's songs wouldn't be what they are without him. That leverages him more money because he can show his efforts directly sell more product.

Chris could as well. I really hope she's getting her fair share. She seems like she doesn't like fighting and discord but I hope her managers go in and fight because she wrote more hits and her presence on the last tours increased ticket sales.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 02-07-2018 at 01:10 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This has been debated here before. I think Stevie was trying to relate to the current "me Too" movement in claiming "we all get paid the same."
I think many of us speculated that Stevie gets paid more than other band members when touring. We may never know the truth. But if it is true perhaps Mick, John, and Lindsey can start their own non-twirling "Me Too" movement.
I've never believed that. Stevie's money is primarily earned outside the Mac with songwriting royalties & private (i.e. corporate) concerts or private parties. She knows what she has and is a smart cookie for that. Chris as well. Without her (Stevie), the Mac is really NOT the Mac.......
Old 02-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Isn't she managed by Irving Azoff? That sawed off POS would wrestle a nickel out of his dying grandma's hands.

She gets more than 20%. I guaranf*ckingtee you that she does.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Isn't she managed by Irving Azoff? That sawed off POS would wrestle a nickel out of his dying grandma's hands.

Have you seen her contract??

Didn't think so.....

Happy Ledgeday to me!! 16 years on this great forum (at least under this name)
Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
Have you seen her contract??

Didn't think so.....
I know how leverage works.

When the Eagles reunited, Frey and Henley refused, unless they got a double cut of the pie.

I'll bet... your life... that she gets more than 20%. I'm positive she does. And I can't stand her, so why TF would I be "standing up" for her?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Edit
Old 02-07-2018, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've never believed that. Stevie's money is primarily earned outside the Mac with songwriting royalties & private (i.e. corporate) concerts or private parties. She knows what she has and is a smart cookie for that. Chris as well. Without her (Stevie), the Mac is really NOT the Mac.......
That's not really true.
The Mac toured the world for 2 years in one of the highest grossing tours of 2013/2014. The year before Christine came back she toured the world again with the Mac to packed arenas. She makes a fortune solo too but touring with the Mac and the song royalties she makes a fortune with the Mac.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's not really true.
The Mac toured the world for 2 years in one of the highest grossing tours of 2013/2014. The year before Christine came back she toured the world again with the Mac to packed arenas. She makes a fortune solo too but touring with the Mac and the song royalties she makes a fortune with the Mac.
Having worked for a promoter, I've seen many contracts over the years. I can tell you this: The cost of a tour is tremendous, sponsored or not. Lets say you're Band X and have an agreement with Bud Light for a summer tour. Bud Light pays the "tour" the rights to advertise and/or sell their product at venues etc. (assuming venue doesn't have their own deal). Then you gotta look at the gross that you refer to and then start subtracting............the subtracting will make your head spin between union roadies, set-up, buses, catering, fees, fuel etc. The bills are endless. Everyone has their hand in your pocket. Sure , many artists have a guarantee in their contract, but they as well have management fees and commissions and taxes etc. I learned in the music biz that nothing is free..................

that's the beauty of publishing. the overhead is a LOT less than what a tour costs and it can pay for a looong time.............Why do you think that Lindzers sold his catalog a few years back? That's where the money was for him!! Now, someone owns the rights to his songs. Sadly, I think of Stevie and having no heirs. Mom and dad are gone and she ONLY has Chris, so who gets it when she's gone?? Her estate, BUT that does no one any good. Some company will buy the rights to her music and in 20 years you'll be seeing another cover of Landslide by the new Dixiecrat Chixx or an ad for Bud on the Superbowl 75.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 02-07-2018 at 03:16 PM..
Old 02-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

She was until she wasn't, then she went with Howard Kaufman. Lindsey very pointedly remarked when prepping for either one of the last tours or albums "Howard will always look out for Stevie" so......she's getting more somehow. If for some reason there is in fact a contract where everyone gets the same, she's making up the difference somewhere else. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when Chris returned and they had to re-split the pie.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Having worked for a promoter, I've seen many contracts over the years. I can tell you this: The cost of a tour is tremendous, sponsored or not. Lets say you're Band X and have an agreement with Bud Light for a summer tour. Bud Light pays the "tour" the rights to advertise and/or sell their product at venues etc. (assuming venue doesn't have their own deal). Then you gotta look at the gross that you refer to and then start subtracting............the subtracting will make your head spin between union roadies, set-up, buses, catering, fees, fuel etc. The bills are endless. Everyone has their hand in your pocket. Sure , many artists have a guarantee in their contract, but they as well have management fees and commissions and taxes etc. I learned in the music biz that nothing is free..................

that's the beauty of publishing. the overhead is a LOT less than what a tour costs and it can pay for a looong time.............Why do you think that Lindzers sold his catalog a few years back? That's where the money was for him!! Now, someone owns the rights to his songs. Sadly, I think of Stevie and having no heirs. Mom and dad are gone and she ONLY has Chris, so who gets it when she's gone?? Her estate, BUT that does no one any good. Some company will buy the rights to her music and in 20 years you'll be seeing another cover of Landslide by the new Dixiecrat Chixx or an ad for Bud on the Superbowl 75.
I think her main heir in reality will be her niece, who also just had a baby who will, if things go well, will be the next generation heir. If Stevie is smart she'll have some sort of trust or other organization through which her money will continue to be managed by business people with others (family, goddaughters, friends, etc) being the recipients of income the trust generates. I hope the hell she's not just handing everything over lock stock and barrel to one person. Kiss it all goodbye in that case.