The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Looking at their set list objectively, the typical FM concert has about 24 songs. To break it down a bit, FM has 15 well-known hits:

Say You Love Me
Rhiannon
Over My Head
Go Your Own Way
You Make Loving Fun
Don't Stop
Tusk
Sara
Hold Me
Gypsy
Big Love
Seven Wonders
Little Lies
Everywhere

I didn't include Love in Store, Sisters of the Moon, or Family Man because they weren't big hits. Seven Wonders ranked about the same as Love in Store, but had a video that got a lot of airtime on MTV, which added more exposure.

They have at least 7 'standards,' or songs they sing virtually every tour:

The Chain
Songbird
Gold Dust Woman
Silver Springs
Landslide
Never Going Back Again
Second Hand News

Assuming they played all the hits and standards, that leaves two slots for deep cuts. We know they don't play every hit- Hold Me, Big Love, and Seven Wonders have been played the least, so if they left those out, that would open up 3 more slots. 12 hits +7 standards =19 songs, leaving room for 5 deep cuts. Not a lot of flexibility there

I would have to think Hold Me and Wish You Were Here might be added to the set list, since they were so well-received on the Buck/Vie tour. Angel is a good balance to Stevie's other songs. That would leave 2 songs for Lindsey. I'm sure he would pick 2 songs with long guitar solos, such as I'm So Afraid and/or Not That Funny, or two deep cuts like Tango in the Night and one other. Except for ISA and NTF, these songs would certainly qualify as deep cuts and would be a welcome addition.

My question to you guys is, are 5 deep cuts enough for us hardcore fans to pay big money to see them next year?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Looking at their set list objectively, the typical FM concert has about 24 songs. To break it down a bit, FM has 15 well-known hits:

Say You Love Me
Rhiannon
Over My Head
Go Your Own Way
You Make Loving Fun
Don't Stop
Tusk
Sara
Hold Me
Gypsy
Big Love
Seven Wonders
Little Lies
Everywhere

I didn't include Love in Store, Sisters of the Moon, or Family Man because they weren't big hits. Seven Wonders ranked about the same as Love in Store, but had a video that got a lot of airtime on MTV, which added more exposure.

The Chain
Songbird
Gold Dust Woman
Silver Springs
Landslide
Never Going Back Again
Second Hand News

Assuming they played all the hits and standards, that leaves two slots for deep cuts. We know they don't play every hit- Hold Me, Big Love, and Seven Wonders have been played the least, so if they left those out, that would open up 3 more slots. 12 hits +7 standards =19 songs, leaving room for 5 deep cuts. Not a lot of flexibility there

I would have to think Hold Me and Wish You Were Here might be added to the set list, since they were so well-received on the Buck/Vie tour. Angel is a good balance to Stevie's other songs. That would leave 2 songs for Lindsey. I'm sure he would pick 2 songs with long guitar solos, such as I'm So Afraid and/or Not That Funny, or two deep cuts like Tango in the Night and one other. Except for ISA and NTF, these songs would certainly qualify as deep cuts and would be a welcome addition.

My question to you guys is, are 5 deep cuts enough for us hardcore fans to pay big money to see them next year?

Big Love has been played at every possible opportunity since 1997.Its their 19th most played song ever. As much as I really don't want to hear it again I don't think you can count on it not being included. I just hope- like everyone else we finally get the full band treatment.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The new songs are usually considered 'bathroom breaks' no matter who is singing them. A Buck/Vie song would be a bathroom break at a FM concert, just like Running Through the Garden was during the Say You Will tour, and would be at the next FM tour.

I'm surprised people are sensitive about or surprised by this. I've seen it happen at just about every concert I've been to by artists past their peak.
I was the one that posted that about the bathroom break. The PP explains all I was saying about the new Buck/Vie songs (which I cherish). If people come to a FM concert expecting to hear FM, then that's what they want to hear.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Say You Love Me
Rhiannon

Over My Head
Go Your Own Way
You Make Loving Fun
Don't Stop
Tusk

Sara
Hold Me
Gypsy
Big Love

Seven Wonders
Little Lies
Everywhere

The Chain
Songbird
Gold Dust Woman

Silver Springs
Landslide
Never Going Back Again
Second Hand News

nice thinking!

i'd do some cuts in your "hits" list since they are not using some of them as staples live - so i bolded the ones that seems to be their "must play" - same as in your standards list.

Big Love acoustic while not played (shockingly and refreshingly!) on BuckVie tour has been a staple of live Mac shows so i don't see it going away (or making it a full-band version which would defeat it's purpose, so that's not gonna happen, and unlike most here who are [astonishingly] wishing for a full band version, i think it should be either acoustic version or not in the set).

you are missing Dreams from the hits/staples list.

that 17 staples - 6 Christine , 5 Stevie, 5 Lindsey, and the Chain. since Christine had the most hits that makes sense that she would have more "must include" songs.

so now we have 6-7 spaces - 2 each Stevie and Lindsey, and 1 Christine and if you include World Turning that has been a staple, you are done.

if we are including Hold Me which has not been performed with FM in this century but it's performed on BuckVie tour, and possibly adding World Turning which is a staple, than Christine will have 7 songs. maybe Thuink ABout Me instead of Hold Me, but they've been doing that at the last leg of the FM tour. if Christine decides not to do Everywhere or Songbird, maybe Carnival Begin can be added?

i will leave to Stevie fans to pick 2 of her deeper cuts she can do - my picks would be Angel and Sisters. if i had my way i would also drop Rhiannon and Dreams, and replace these with something more interesting of SN fans' choosing.

for Lindsey, there are many choices, imo and from what i've seen on wishlists thrown around, most FM fans are either unfamiliar or tend to overlook his FM (not to even mention solo!) work. i wish he would do What Makes You Think You're The One and Walk A Thin Line. alternatively the Ledge and Save Me A Place. or Bleed To Love Her and Murrow. Red Rover. Peacekeeper together with Christine would be nice. or Steal Your Heart Away might be interesting (although i didn't like Soundstage version). so basically real deep cuts that were performed maybe on a single FM tour. no bs like Blue Letter which used to be performed all the time or IKINW and NTF that was performed as a "seep cut" at many FM tours. or if Christine adds Carnival Begins maybe Lindsey can add On With the Show?

btw Not That Funny at 2013 was 2-3 minutes short and punky - nothing like 10 minute versions from Mirage era. it was pretty incredible, but it has been drudged out at many tours now and it's time for another Tusk LB deep cut.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
I was the one that posted that about the bathroom break. The PP explains all I was saying about the new Buck/Vie songs (which I cherish). If people come to a FM concert expecting to hear FM, then that's what they want to hear.
isn't that somewhat artificial line in the sand though? the Eagles play Joe Walsh solo songs. i'm assuming if Sting tours with the Police, that they play some of his solo songs too. when solo songs from band members are popular casual fans don't tend to distinguish band from solo that much. and majority of FM arena audience will be casual concert goers, as you and others have been saying. they won't care, as long as it's something familiar or rocking. BuckVie songs may not be that familiar but many of them sound familiar since they are so reminiscent of FM hits of the past. if they played Too Far Gone, probably more casual audience members would enjoy it than if they play World Turning which is FM staple.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 09-10-2017 at 03:24 PM..
Old 09-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Except for ISA and NTF, these songs would certainly qualify as deep cuts and would be a welcome addition.

argh forgot ISA. so yeah then just one deep cut for Lindsey, since he doesn't want to drop that awful slow NGBA , and audiences seems to have good reaction to it.

so i guess either What Makes You Think or Walk a Thin Line would be my choice.

my first choice? Lindsey solo tour at the beginning of next year! and all those deeper cuts i meantione somewhere above to be included, plus 6 new songs from his Jan 2018 upcoming album.

it's a great question about whether basically a couple of deep cuts would be worth shelling tons of money to see FM tour in 2018/19. i would see a single show, when they come to my area. but i would not follow their tour like i've been following the last 2, or LB solo or BuckVie.

if none of what i would consider deep cuts are there, i would skip the tour all together, like i skipped the Classic show in which i had no interest whatsoever.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If they opened with The Chain and then went into something like On With The Show it'd be too early for a bathroom break. As Elle says, it sounds familiar so casual fans would enjoy it as much (if not more than) a deep cut FM song.
In fact, damn... On With The Show would be such a great song to open with, though I'm sure Stevie would never allow it.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
In fact, damn... On With The Show would be such a great song to open with, though I'm sure Stevie would never allow it.

Oh Stevie's ass!!!

I wonder if she has any regrets over not joining them on BV?
Old 09-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

elle, I can't believe I left off Dreams- although I'm sick of it, that would definitely be a staple of the set, unfortunately. You're right, Lindsey has several songs that could qualify as deep cuts that would be awesome to hear live, which was why I didn't really delve into which ones he could add to the set list. Steve's FM catalog is easier because she has less songs than Lindsey or Christine.

That's why I really, REALLY wish the band would consider alternating even just a handful of songs. Like I said before, all of them have some songs that are a little similar to each other, so Stevie singing Gold Dust Woman one night and Rhiannon the next would really open the set list up for more deep cuts. The acoustic versions of Big Love and Never Going Back Again could be alternated, leaving room for a deep cut by Lindsey.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Say You Love Me OR Think About Me
Rhiannon OR Gold Dust Woman
Over My Head OR Everywhere
Go Your Own Way
Dreams
You Make Loving Fun
Don't Stop
Tusk
Sara
Hold Me
Gypsy OR Angel
Big Love OR Never Going Back Again
Seven Wonders OR a Stevie deep cut
Little Lies

The Chain
Songbird
Second Hand News OR I know I'm Not Wrong
Silver Springs
I'm So Afraid OR a Lindsey deep cut
Landslide
Storms OR Beautiful Child

These songs haven't been performed live before, as far as I know:

Crystal
Warm Ways
I Don't Want to Know
Never Forget
You'll Never Make Me Cry
Honey Hi
I am not sure which songs Lindsey has sang live from Tusk, but I know he performed several at least once, so I didn't even try to list them.
Straight Back
Only Over You
Empire State
Oh Diane
That's Alright
Can't Go Back
Book of Love
Tango in the Night
Caroline
When I See You Again
Welcome to the Room Sara
Mystified
You and I part II
Family Man
Fireflies
One More Night

Obviously, I didn't include songs from Behind the Mask, Say You Will, Time, the EP, or Buck/Vie.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

(These are in no particular order)

Lindsey:
Monday Morning
Eyes of The World
Tusk
Not That Funny
Save Me a Place
Go Your Own Way
Oh Well

Stevie:
Dreams
Gold Dust Woman
Rhiannon or Landslide
Sara
Storms or Angel
Gypsy
Stand Back

Christine:
You Make Loving Fun
Say You Love Me
Everywhere
Little Lies
Over & Over
Hold Me
Songbird

Band songs:
The Chain
Don't Stop
Blue Letter (as an encore)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really hope they never, ever do Not That Funny again. I will happily listen to the slow Big Love twice if they leave Not That Funny out.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I really hope they never, ever do Not That Funny again. I will happily listen to the slow Big Love twice if they leave Not That Funny out.
I agree completely... a really polarizing song! Lindsey's performed it enough that it I'd rather hear ANY other song from Tusk.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
Quote:
I agree completely... a really polarizing song! Lindsey's performed it enough that it I'd rather hear ANY other song from Tusk.
while i agree that he needs to pull out his other Tusk songs instead of NTF that he played very diverse versions on enough tours, from both your comments i have to assume that neither one of you went to see any shows at 2013 Fleetwood Mac tour?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
while i agree that he needs to pull out his other Tusk songs instead of NTF that he played very diverse versions on enough tours, from both your comments i have to assume that neither one of you went to see any shows at 2013 Fleetwood Mac tour?
I didn't see that tour, but considering how much I hate the song, I can't imagine I would like it live no matter how long or short or diverse it was. The recorded version is one of the few FM songs I hate and skip whenever I listen to Tusk. But I hate Gold Dust Woman, too, and a lot of folks like that one.