User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
As much as Lindsey is the genius behind FM's success, he was never meant for mass appeal, solo. Listen to Law and Order, and tell me he's not quirky AF. Quirky AF doesn't work for mass appeal, unless you're Weird Al.
Okay but even then I can't imagine going to see Weird Al at the Garden.

Totally agree about Lindsey. If he wanted to, he could have had more mass appeal. The man who wrote Go Your Own Way could have been more hit focused in his solo career for sure, if he wanted to. I don't think he ever really cared. Maybe with OOTC he tried to have more (even that one is debatable on the whole) but by that point he was already over 40 and the ship had sailed.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Stevie's tour with Rod Stewart was the biggest mistake in her career since klonopin. Both have loyal fan bases and there was no need for them to tour "together." I wonder if they really split things 50/50. They billed the tour as no opening acts and just dual concerts. However Rod's ego made Stevie open every night and have Stevie join him on his stage. He never came out on her stage.
I give Stevie credit when she toured with Don Henley. He opened yet she still came out on stage on his set to sing with him. Rod's giant ego would not give her that respect.
Rod did sing with her during her set but only on select dates. They did leather and lace during a performance in Houston Rod pissed Stevie off because he made a motion with his hands to suggest he was literally taking off a woman’s panties while performing the song.

Rod is my favourite male singer but I was kind of surprised he chose her to share the bill. They have two different styles. I know they both sing Rock and Roll music but they still have different types of music.

When I saw the tour in Montreal I was probably the only SN fan there. As I understand it he asked her to tour. I have a mixed opinion on whether or not it was a mistake. Getting her new music out there for casual fans or non fans who attended the shows isn’t a bad idea but at the same time she should have been headlining her own tour.

Since that tour he has done several others with another big name opening up.

2013 Live The Life with Steve Winwood
2015 Carlos Santana
2017-2018 Cyndi Lauper
2020- He was supposed to tour with Blondie but Chris Stein had surgery and so he had to replace them with Cheap Trick. COVID stopped the tour though.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rod actually sang Leather & Lace during his set. Waddy and Stevie were on the stage with him during his set to do L and L.
Rod did walk on stage and introduce Stevie at the shows I went to.
Your Rod Stewart knowledge is impressive!
I like Rod a lot too. Stevie said she was proud to open for him. Fun fact, she also opened for Aerosmith at a big show in Honolulu in 07.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Okay but even then I can't imagine going to see Weird Al at the Garden.

Totally agree about Lindsey. If he wanted to, he could have had more mass appeal. The man who wrote Go Your Own Way could have been more hit focused in his solo career for sure, if he wanted to. I don't think he ever really cared. Maybe with OOTC he tried to have more (even that one is debatable on the whole) but by that point he was already over 40 and the ship had sailed.
I agree moneywise and stardom. SN wins hands down. I do not even hate the messy lyrical turd of a new song she just put out.

But as a human being her actions followed by dishonesty have disgusted me. I'll take the other four playing a 2000-6000 seat arena any day of the week. BuckVie was truly a wonderful intimate experience for me. Christine coming back was to a record was such a beautiful surprise. I still listen to the album. It's a simple little gem. And then there was Mick's wonderful tribute to Peter Green concert. I loved that, too!

Musically, they don't need her. They don't even need her for money. The only thing they need her for is 20,000 seat filler. (ego) I'd also, argue she needs them or some other name to fill it. Money and ego can only go so far.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Musically, they don't need her. They don't even need her for money. The only thing they need her for is 20,000 seat filler. (ego) I'd also, argue she needs them or some other name to fill it. Money and ego can only go so far.
They bring up her induction into the Hall. But actually, what was she inducted for? What contributions to Rock or the struggle of equality for women artists did Stevie make or transcend as a solo artist before Tina, Diana, Cher, Pat Benatar, Kate Bush, Bonnie Raitt, Chaka did?
The induction featured a lot of talk about Fleetwood Mac and didn't pin down the solo music's enrichment of Rock music.
She's close with Irving. Somehow Irving's getting inducted this year.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree moneywise and stardom. SN wins hands down. I do not even hate the messy lyrical turd of a new song she just put out.

But as a human being her actions followed by dishonesty have disgusted me. I'll take the other four playing a 2000-6000 seat arena any day of the week. BuckVie was truly a wonderful intimate experience for me. Christine coming back was to a record was such a beautiful surprise. I still listen to the album. It's a simple little gem. And then there was Mick's wonderful tribute to Peter Green concert. I loved that, too!

Agreed 100%. I saw the five of them together in a big arena in 2014. It was great. If she wanted nothing to do with BuckVie and wanted to be away from Lindsey, she should have quit and wished them well. I would have loved to have seen a much smaller Fleetwood Mac show in an intimate venue with the foursome and the backing band. I like Stevie's Mac songs but a Fleetwood Mac set with a big selection from the new album plus Chris and Lindsey's hits and some unearthed gems would have been very cool. It would have been different, smaller, and without the stank in the air of someone being fired.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A new album and theater tour would be great for fans, I’d certainly be all over that, but the album wouldn’t be a blip on anyone’s radar outside of fans, especially without Stevie, and would be quickly forgotten. How would that help their legacy?

Mick, John, and Christine remember the days of 1970-1976, when even finishing a tour wasn’t guaranteed. They weren’t having commercial success while their contemporaries (Clapton, Winwood, Stewart, Deep Purple, etc.) were becoming legends. Hell, even Santana had a hit with a Fleetwood Mac song, but not Fleetwood Mac. And, I’m sure Mick and John remember the sting of having to tour with REO and Benatar when they were considered irrelevant washed up has beens while The Eagles, Page/Plant, and Pink Floyd packed arenas.

Mick, John, and Christine want Fleetwood Mac to go out as an arena rock band and all the trappings that go with it. They’ve earned that privilege.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-21-2020, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
Rod did sing with her during her set but only on select dates. They did leather and lace during a performance in Houston Rod pissed Stevie off because he made a motion with his hands to suggest he was literally taking off a woman’s panties while performing the song.

Rod is my favourite male singer but I was kind of surprised he chose her to share the bill. They have two different styles. I know they both sing Rock and Roll music but they still have different types of music.

When I saw the tour in Montreal I was probably the only SN fan there. As I understand it he asked her to tour. I have a mixed opinion on whether or not it was a mistake. Getting her new music out there for casual fans or non fans who attended the shows isn’t a bad idea but at the same time she should have been headlining her own tour.

Since that tour he has done several others with another big name opening up.

2013 Live The Life with Steve Winwood
2015 Carlos Santana
2017-2018 Cyndi Lauper
2020- He was supposed to tour with Blondie but Chris Stein had surgery and so he had to replace them with Cheap Trick. COVID stopped the tour though.
That's not what I said. YES, they both sang together but it was on Rod's stage. When they did the interview breaking the news about the tour, they both said they would be singing on each other's stage (like Stevie did with Don). That NEVER happened. Rod never came out on Stevie's stage. She came out on his stage but that dwindled as the tour went on. Clearly Rod is a bigger egomaniac than Stevie. If it really was a shared tour as they stated in the beginning (no opening acts) then you dont introduce someone. Rod should have sang Stevie's Leather and Lace in Stevie's set. He could not even sing it without reading the lyrics from the monitor word by word. It was pathetic. Seriously. They practiced for months and the lyrics to Leather and Lace are not that tough. IMHO being that they isolated from performing together in the later dates says a lot. Stevie was probably tired of his B.S. She was tricked into becoming an opening act for his ego.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-21-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Old 10-21-2020, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
They bring up her induction into the Hall. But actually, what was she inducted for? What contributions to Rock or the struggle of equality for women artists did Stevie make or transcend as a solo artist before Tina, Diana, Cher, Pat Benatar, Kate Bush, Bonnie Raitt, Chaka did?
The induction featured a lot of talk about Fleetwood Mac and didn't pin down the solo music's enrichment of Rock music.
She's close with Irving. Somehow Irving's getting inducted this year.
Why isn’t Randy Bachman in the Hall? Between the Guess Who and BTO, he’s written some of the most legendary songs in rock’s history.

These Eyes
Undone
Laughing
No Time
American Woman
No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature
Takin’ Care of Business
Let It Ride
Roll On Down the Highway
You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-21-2020, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes! I attended the opening night for Buck/Mcvie and had front row in front of Chris. Before that I have seen her on the Dance but I was on the lawn so major different to be so close. To not only be so close but to get to hear 8 new songs and rarities was amazing (sorry Stevie too many new songs is NOT a bad thing) As far as the album, it did take me several plays to start to get it. There are so many intricate parts that it take several plays to hear. That's why I like it so much. If someone only listened to it a time or two I can see why they didn't care for it and so many people had attitude that Stevie wasn't on it so they couldn't be bothered. Lay Down For Free is my favorite Lindsey song and Love Is Here To Stay is really beautiful.

One thing that bothered me is most people on here butchered it. This is not a duet album, Stevie is not on it, only 10 songs, Stevie is not on it, the cover is bad, Stevie is not on it, too many effects and overdubs, Stevie is not on it, and many more complaints. Those same people are the ones that praise it today. It would be nice to be able to listen too something and have your own opinion and not be overwhelmed by so much negativity.

I do admit the cover is awful and could have been so much better.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Why isn’t Randy Bachman in the Hall? Between the Guess Who and BTO, he’s written some of the most legendary songs in rock’s history.

These Eyes
Undone
Laughing
No Time
American Woman
Takin’ Care of Business
Let It Ride
Roll On Down the Highway
Why aren't Culture Club and Cyndi Lauper in?

I think it was right for Madonna to be inducted in her first year of eligibility.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:59 PM

Lindsey brought Christine back to us. Not Stevie. And yet, who bragged about bringing Christine back with a spirit catcher, told her to get in shape, and then lectured her how hard it was to be on tour?
Old 10-21-2020, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I want to see him play MSG.
Bah, you. The incommensurate spectacle of a One Man Show performance in a sports arena is like something out of a Christopher Guest movie. Imagine the noise of a mob of fifteen-thousand, the stench of beer on the plastic retractable seats, the foul obnoxiousness, and the dirt while Lindsey performs “She Smiled Sweetly” on solo guitar.

Quote:
Furthermore, as mortified as I was when he opened for Tina Turner, I think I'd have to kill myself if he opened for Rod Stewart.
I only saw that on YouTube. Ghastly. It should have sparked a second- or third-wave punk revolution against dinosaur rock and corporatism.

Quote:
I don't spend a lot of time wishing he had Stevie's record or ticket sales.
Well, my point. Actually, my point is that Lindsey’s particular gifts as an artist — like those of some his heroes, from Laurie Anderson to Brian Wilson — don’t fit right in the mob milieu of Fleetwood Mac or Stevie Nicks. They aren’t seen or heard in their best light at Madison Square Garden. So who needs that kind of head count? It would mute his brilliance.

Quote:
I do wish he had the power, but not the immorality, to get Stevie fired, however. I envy her that.
Fleetwood Mac was definitely better when the five of them could all yell and scream at each other without risking being fired.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-21-2020, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

These Eyes
Undone
Laughing
No Time
American Woman
Takin’ Care of Business
Let It Ride
Roll On Down the Highway
I didn’t even know that Randy Bachman was ever in the Guess Who. By the way, “These Eyes” famously features the Hohner Pianet N (Christine’s electric piano of choice in those years).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-21-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I didn’t even know that Randy Bachman was ever in the Guess Who. By the way, “These Eyes” famously features the Hohner Pianet N (Christine’s electric piano of choice in those years).
I recognize it in the beginning. I really love that sound.