Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The best music from Chriistine

Do you think the best Christine songs were written during her "Quintela" era? Some times I do.
I don't underrate songs like Songbird or Hold me, in fact they are among my faves; but listening Everywhere, Skies the limit, As long as you follow.. I think she was well inspired for good music.

But then during the Dance I guess she was already separated. And Temporary One wasn't one of her best gems.
I don't own ITM, but have listened some songs, and still found something is missing.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not quite sure when Christine wrote her best songs. I suppose like everyone in Fleetwood Mac they were at their peak during the 1970's. So I guess I'd have to say that era. However, she's been incredibly consistent for 35 years now, far more than any other writer in Fleetwood Mac, in my opinion. I think her best songs of the 1990's were her 2 songs on the Chain Box Set & the Behind The Mask title track. I think many of her In The Meantime songs were her best since the 1980's & some compared very favorably with her best from the 1970's.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine has been incredibly consistent in terms of quality, so it's hard for me to say. For every Homeward Bound, there's a Nights In Estoril. For every Oh Daddy, there's a Behind the Mask, etc.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't really say for Christine. It's harder for me to pin her down than it is for the others. I think she is more consistent. There are some songs I like more than others from every era but I can't pick one time where she was much better than others and I also really can't think of a time when she was subpar. I think some people would say Mirage was a weak time for her but I would disagree.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Christine has been incredibly consistent in terms of quality, so it's hard for me to say. For every Homeward Bound, there's a Nights In Estoril. For every Oh Daddy, there's a Behind the Mask, etc.
IMO, the only thing that's wrong with "Homeward Bound" is the vocals, which are just not her best to me at all. Love the lyrics and music, though. I'm not going to argue with your criticism of "Oh Daddy," though, since I still haven't gotten into that one.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
IMO, the only thing that's wrong with "Homeward Bound" is the vocals, which are just not her best to me at all. Love the lyrics and music, though. I'm not going to argue with your criticism of "Oh Daddy," though, since I still haven't gotten into that one.
I think you misunderstood me. I love all of those songs that I mentioned and they're amongst my favorites.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I think you misunderstood me. I love all of those songs that I mentioned and they're amongst my favorites.
Oh!

Old 06-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I can't really say for Christine. It's harder for me to pin her down than it is for the others. I think she is more consistent. There are some songs I like more than others from every era but I can't pick one time where she was much better than others and I also really can't think of a time when she was subpar. I think some people would say Mirage was a weak time for her but I would disagree.
I tried to post in this thread twice this morning, but got an error message both times. Anyway, I think the reason Christine has been so consistent is because she's never been very prolific. If she didn't like a song, she discarded it & started on something else. Anything that she did record, she REALLY, REALLY liked alot. That's why there aren't any "When I See You Again, "The Second Time" or "Empire State" among her songs.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Christine's strengths have always been her consistency and her ear for a fine pop/rock song.

As Mac Fan says she only keeps what she considers to be the best. I'd love to hear the ones that have "stayed on the shelf".

Personally I think that her songs on Tango in the Night are her strongest which is probably why that is one of my favourite FM albums - Everywhere, Little Lies and (my favourite) Isn't it Midnight (who could ask for more?)

But she's proved she's still got what it takes in terms of songwriting and she's not afraid to collaborate either.

We don't appear to have heard much from Mr Quintela in the way of songwriting since their split do we? I wonder why that is?

Gail
Old 06-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
I think Christine's strengths have always been her consistency and her ear for a fine pop/rock song.

As Mac Fan says she only keeps what she considers to be the best. I'd love to hear the ones that have "stayed on the shelf".

Personally I think that her songs on Tango in the Night are her strongest which is probably why that is one of my favourite FM albums - Everywhere, Little Lies and (my favourite) Isn't it Midnight (who could ask for more?)
I love "Isn't it Midnight" too!

I miss Christine. She's always been my "tranquilizer" in the midst of the frenzy that is Stevie & Lindsey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
We don't appear to have heard much from Mr Quintela in the way of songwriting since their split do we? I wonder why that is?

Gail
I've wondered what he's doing now. Hmmmm.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaymornin1
I've wondered what he's doing now. Hmmmm.
Hopefully crying in his soup.

-Lis
Old 06-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nope...mainly because he got the "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" from the Soup Nazi.

No Christine, no soup.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Nope...mainly because he got the "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" from the Soup Nazi.

hehehe that was such a great episode. I now have a terrific image of Chris snatching stuff from under his nose LOL.

-Lis
Old 06-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would say that is hard to pin down. I love everything from "I'd Rather Go Blind" to "Friend"...

I will say that In The Meantime is a step down from her previous work. It is a tad bland in some areas. Something just seems missing to me. There are a few songs on that album which I love, but a most of the songs are just such filler material. Her voice is in great shape, but the music leaves a little to be desired and most of the lyrics don't have that signature "Christine hook".

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I tried to post in this thread twice this morning, but got an error message both times. Anyway, I think the reason Christine has been so consistent is because she's never been very prolific. If she didn't like a song, she discarded it & started on something else. Anything that she did record, she REALLY, REALLY liked alot. That's why there aren't any "When I See You Again, "The Second Time" or "Empire State" among her songs.
That does help! I'm that's how I would be if I were a famous singer/songwriter. My "When I See You Again"s would stay at my house. They would be for my eyes and ears only. Of course unless someone wanted to go and steal them and put them all over the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
I will say that In The Meantime is a step down from her previous work. It is a tad bland in some areas. Something just seems missing to me. There are a few songs on that album which I love, but a most of the songs are just such filler material. Her voice is in great shape, but the music leaves a little to be desired and most of the lyrics don't have that signature "Christine hook".
I wish that album was more piano-driven. (Cue for David to come in and talk about what piano-driven means) Actually, I'm not sure, since "The Way I Feel" is not a piano-driven song and I like it more than a few of the tracks on In The Meantime. Maybe it's not necessary to be piano-driven but just to have a more prominent piano than in most of the songs on ITM do.