User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
What's the "background" story of the song? Is there a special, private meaning that Lindsey attaches to that Donovan track? (Again: "Try for the Sun" is wonderful, but "Hurdy Gurdy Man" is the greatest song of all time. . .)
Just how the song, with a few minor lyric changes, does a beautiful job of describing their life before making it big with Fleetwood Mac. Stevie almost always talks about this, but I just think it would be good with Lindsey talking about it in context of the song
Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Lindsey sounded like Donovan wasn't happy that he was doing a cover, but that didn't deter Lindsey.
Is that in an interview or article? I'd like to see the quote!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yeah, she said it was spooky, so they used to lock themselves up in the one room with all their things. Ooh My Love reminds me of that too: the chamber where they spent all their time.

Lindsey sounded like Donovan wasn't happy that he was doing a cover, but that didn't deter Lindsey.

As for Juniper, when I heard that it was a street where he grew up, I guess I thought a little differently about it. But before that, I just had this impression of dead children flying. It struck me as both saccharine and creepy. Now, I do perceive it in a more Citizen Kane way. Ruthless, rich old man dies and the last words from his lips are not about his publishing empire, wealth or power, but about a happy childhood memory of sliding down a snowbank on a beloved sled. In that sense, I can kind of get into all of the innocence and carefree things that the word Juniper conjures up for LB. But aside from the words, I don't like the music either.

Michele
Strange. I never got that AT all. I was thinking...children flying as in, riding bikes...skateboards...a sled, anything. Dead children? Hmm.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Is that in an interview or article? I'd like to see the quote!
It was something about Lindsey saying he wanted to cover it but thought Donovan would "wonder why I'm doing that one and would probably say 'What the Hell's he want to cover that one for?! [in mock angry Scottish accent]'" (paraphrasing to the best of my memory. There was definitely something about the Scottish accent)

I don't remember reading that Donovan himself didn't want him to cover it. I think it was more that Lindsey imagined he wouldn't and said so in an interview or two
Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The article is on the official website, lindseybuckingham.com at

http://www.lindseybuckingham.com/pre...oc=2006-12.asp

Guitar World Acoustic:Your arrangement of it is very different from the original, the most obvious change being that it's in 6/8 time instead 4/4.

BUCKINGHAM: That was to suit my own petty guitar needs. It's funny-one of the guys I work with was also working with Donovan at the time I was cutting it, and he mentioned to Donovan that I was doing one of his songs. When he heard which one it was, he said [imitating an angry Scotsman], "'Try for the Sun'? What's he doing that one for?" So if he ever hears my version, he'll probably go, "He ****ed it up!" I don't know how well I succeeded in putting it together.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Strange. I never got that AT all. I was thinking...children flying as in, riding bikes...skateboards...a sled, anything. Dead children? Hmm.
Well, you know he talks about brothers and sisters, dead and gone, and then the children flying down Juniper. I didn't know what Juniper was, but it didn't sound like that happy a place to me. But I admit to being warped. I am an X-Files fan and it kind of reminded me of the Closure episode of the show, where Mulder finally learns what happened to his sister (whom he thought had been abducted by aliens). She disappeared into a place where all abused children go. He went there and saw her and there were all of these "happy," missing dead children playing and I don't know . . .

Yes, when I learned that Juniper's a street in his neighborhood, I imagine bike-riding too, just like my brother and I used to ride around the block. But when I first heard the song, I didn't know what Juniper was. I thought it was a fairry land for kids who aren't with us anymore and it just didn't sound that good.

But even if it is a song about happy, nostalgia and unburdened youth, I don't like it that way either. It is too sweet and sugary for me.

Michele
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My 2 cents worth

I never knew what Flying Down Juniper was...I first heard the phrase on GOS on Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind...

When I saw it was a song by itself on UTS, it didn't make any sense. It had to be autobiographical. Then someone on the Ledge posted a comment from Lindsey...how it was a street near his house and they rode their bikes down that street.

After reading that, the song made more sense and it reminded me of my childhood and friends long long gone.

(I like the phrase better on the SGCYM song...)

I like the Ledge because it educates (and entertains) me, and I love to read the differing viewpoints. Thanks guys!