Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Straight Back

I've never really liked Mirage, but I listened to it again recently, and loved Straight Back.

Does anyone else think it's one of Stevie's best Mac vocals? Powerful, tuneful, and the added bonus of Christine!

If only they played it on tour....
Old 04-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
I've never really liked Mirage, but I listened to it again recently, and loved Straight Back.

Does anyone else think it's one of Stevie's best Mac vocals? Powerful, tuneful, and the added bonus of Christine!

If only they played it on tour....
I think it is one of the most interesting Mac songs from Stevie. I think it's hard to put it in a category, considering the diversity of her other songs from Mirage. There also hasn't been a song like it since.. It's so atmospheric, like a dream almost.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:07 PM

It's my favourite song from Mirage, the only one from the album that's in my favourites' playlist.
There are a lot of interesting outtakes of the song on Ivory Keys, the studio demo, the vinyl mix, two alternate extended album outtake versions and even two live rehearsals: http://stevienicksivorykeys.blogspot...inning_42.html
Old 04-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Straight Back is classic Mac with lyrics, vocals, harmonies, backing vocals and the way that Lindsey and Christine play off each other.

The entire Mirage album is full of great vocals, lyrics and stuff like this. I don't get how people love Straight Back but hate Mirage. IMHO Straight Back is a highlight but definitely sounds like the entire album.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The entire Mirage album is full of great vocals, lyrics and stuff like this. I don't get how people love Straight Back but hate Mirage.
There are also a few of us who love Mirage but hate (or are apathetic toward) Straight Back.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOVE Straight Back and is probably in my top of 5 of Stevie penned FM songs. When I first bought Mirage a gazillion years ago I played Straight Back non stop. My roommate at the time thought they had released a new song because she kept hearing it come out of my bedroom. I love everything about this song: vocal, lyrics, production...major air of mystery, drama, anger, romance and love!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
There are also a few of us who love Mirage but hate (or are apathetic toward) Straight Back.
I like (not love) Mirage and feel Straight Back is one of the lesser songs on the album. To me, it's the song on Mirage that feels the most 80s, and I'm not an 80s fan.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love it too. (I also really love Mirage, with just a couple of exceptions)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's still another mix too, which is my favorite. The cassette version has more vocals up-front in the mix. I had the cassette first and thought it was weird how different the vinyl version was when I finally got the album. I don't have access to it right now or I would share it. Someone else on here probably has it though. Love how the synthesizers are recorded and mixed. They almost have the Tusk approach in how they are produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
It's my favourite song from Mirage, the only one from the album that's in my favourites' playlist.
There are a lot of interesting outtakes of the song on Ivory Keys, the studio demo, the vinyl mix, two alternate extended album outtake versions and even two live rehearsals: http://stevienicksivorykeys.blogspot...inning_42.html
Old 04-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
There's still another mix too, which is my favorite. The cassette version has more vocals up-front in the mix. I had the cassette first and thought it was weird how different the vinyl version was when I finally got the album. I don't have access to it right now or I would share it. Someone else on here probably has it though. Love how the synthesizers are recorded and mixed. They almost have the Tusk approach in how they are produced.
Yep. I had the cassette version first, and all the guitar licks at the end, aren't on it(like they are on the CD).
Old 04-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Love the Mirage album, but Straight Back is my least favorite song on it. In response to the original poster's question, yes, I think the song showcases a brilliant Nicks vocal, but, unfortunately, that vocal is paired with one of the most tuneless songs in the Buckingham/Nicks lineup.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Have always loved this track. I like it better than SOTM. Would love if they put it in the live shows.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:46 AM

Fantastic Stevie song. One of the best songs she's ever written.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:43 AM
Senior Ledgie

Straight Back has always been one of my favorite Stevie songs. I also happen to like the Mirage album as a whole as well. I like everyone's songs on that album. But last night I was listening to a bunch of different Straight Backs, and if you listen to her sing it on the Mirage rehersals, it's not great. She seemed to be struggling to sing parts of it. I think they made the right decision not to do it live, I don't think Stevie could have pulled it off night after night. And if they tried to do that song today, they would have to pull a Sisters of the moon and strip the fire from it in order for Stevie to be able to sing it. Sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeline View Post
Straight Back has always been one of my favorite Stevie songs. I also happen to like the Mirage album as a whole as well. I like everyone's songs on that album. But last night I was listening to a bunch of different Straight Backs, and if you listen to her sing it on the Mirage rehersals, it's not great. She seemed to be struggling to sing parts of it. I think they made the right decision not to do it live, I don't think Stevie could have pulled it off night after night. And if they tried to do that song today, they would have to pull a Sisters of the moon and strip the fire from it in order for Stevie to be able to sing it. Sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone.
Really?? I actually love the live rehearsals.

And obviously Stevie's voice is not in the shape it was then. It could still be amazing if they gave it an interesting rework and not just lowering the pitch/energy level.

I've always thought it strange that Mirage is kind of the "obscure" record of the classic lineup - in terms of people remembering an album and not just a couple songs. I have a few friends who always thought Gypsy and Hold Me were on Tango.

Last edited by pauls90; 04-28-2015 at 08:02 AM..