Old 08-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered

Default Best McCain ad yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nVQaHpOnO8

I love it!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is this for real?

If so, McCain is sunk as this ad reeks of desparation.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

hmm could be that gramps is losing his bearings again!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You've got to be kidding me. This can't be serious, can it?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Registered

I think it's pretty funny and points out the lunacy of some of the people like Will.I.Am that chant his name, or Scarlett Johanssen that chant his speeches. How about that column in the LA Times that described when the writer (Olsen) "came to HIM", meaning Obama. There's also the groups that have started up how they describe how Obama has changed their lives. I mean, the guy has a Messiah complex and some of the people that follow him as a messianic figure are deluded and this shows that Obama is deliberately feeding into it. How about the fainting at every speech he gave for a while, until it was pointed out that the fainting happened every time and he said the same thing? The guy is a sideshow! I just think that a lot of people are so sick of Bush that they'll believe anything, including a snake oil salesmen like this guy.
Here's an article that describes a lot of the weirdness and Obama as a cult leader. http://townhall.com/Columnists/Micha...as_cult_leader

Last edited by ajmccarrell; 08-01-2008 at 05:30 PM..
Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

Then ehy not say this is what I want to do to help America. This is what my opponent wants to do. This is why I believe I am right and he is wrong. Then, soeak the truth.

Sadly, McCain is doing none of that. Again, it smacks of desparation because if the McCain camp had anything substantive to attack Obama with, they'd be doing it instead of pushing these ridiculous attacks, the former of which was flat out untrue.

Do you actually support this tactic?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
^^^

Then ehy not say this is what I want to do to help America. This is what my opponent wants to do. This is why I believe I am right and he is wrong. Then, soeak the truth.

Sadly, McCain is doing none of that. Again, it smacks of desparation because if the McCain camp had anything substantive to attack Obama with, they'd be doing it instead of pushing these ridiculous attacks, the former of which was flat out untrue.

Do you actually support this tactic?
McCain has made his positions clear as to what he wants to do. Did you miss the press coverage of the release of his economic plan two weeks ago? Probably because the press barely covered it. They've been too busy covering the bowel movements of The Obamessiah. McCain also challenged to debate Obama at ten townhall debates, which Obama rescinded after accepting, as he found out there would be no teleprompter. McCain also repeatedly challenged Obama to talk to the leaders in the middle east before he formed policy, which Obama eventually did after it made him look bad and repeated ads from troops that he refused to see. You'd see more substance if Obama would talk about it, but he does the same thing. He accused McCain of racism just yesterday and back in June. He has his surrogates attack McCain, like Wesley Clark, then disavows what they said, as if they had changed and Obama didn't know. Obama has been playing dirty for a while and I thought he was going to bury McCain in negativity because he's too nice to hit back, like when he wouldn't attack Romney. Yes, I do support this tactic and I'm damn glad McCain grew a set.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

So, you support lies and character assasinations by association to people the victim has nothing in common with.

I think you are better than that

Old 08-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^

So, you support lies and character assasinations by association to people the victim has nothing in common with.

I think you are better than that
You know I used to find McCain one of the most palatable of all Republicans but the fact that he is taking the low road here in light of the what the Rove smear machine did to him in 2000 is just despicable ..this anything to win is part of what cost Hillary the nomination I believe and I hope it has the same effect with McCain.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
. . . this anything to win is part of what cost Hillary the nomination I believe and I hope it has the same effect with McCain.
I am unsure. Remember, Hillary garnered millions of actual votes as opposed to caususes. There is a difference.

In the end though, it is this type of BS that I think leaves bad tastes in peoples' mouths.

McCain is smart if inappropriate in that these uncalled for and mostly false (the quotes in "The One" are all taken out of context ) are puting McCain in the public eye, which formerly had been undeviatingly on Obama. I think it will backfire on his though as it just solidifies McCain's image as same ole politics that people are sick of. I think that reason is the reason Hillary "lost."

Old 08-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Obama's response:

Obama campaign spokesman Hari Sevugan dismissed the ad as a juvenile stunt.

"It's downright sad that on a day when we learned that 51,000 Americans lost their jobs, a candidate for the presidency is spending all of his time and the powerful platform he has on these sorts of juvenile antics," he said in a statement. "Senator McCain can keep telling everyone how 'proud' he is of these political stunts which even his Republican friends and advisors have called'childish', but Barack Obama will continue talking about his plan to jumpstart our economy by giving working families $1,000 of immediate relief."

Somewhat smart to try to shift the focus. But, the focus will remain on this for awhile. Obama must find a way to counter that.

Imagine if Obama ran an ad with skin cancer patients dying of chemo, horrible images of radical skin cancer disfiguting people, families at funerals, etc. -- and then placing this text on the screen - "Sen. McCain has this disease in his veins and it's only a matter of time for the 71 year old man." "Does he have the medical time to lead this country?" Clearly McCain's skin cancer is a legitimate campaign issue. I think, though, that the McCain campaign would be horrified by such an ad. Yet, they run the same kind of tripe.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 08-01-2008 at 06:11 PM..
Old 08-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course, McCain learned from the best

Bush Waged Nasty Smear Campaign Against McCain in 2000

Bush Supporters Called McCain “The Fag Candidate.” In South Carolina, Bush supporters circulated church fliers that labeled McCain “the fag candidate.” Columnist Frank Rich noted that the fliers were distributed “even as Bush subtly reinforced that message by indicating he wouldn’t hire openly gay people for his administration.”

McCain Slurs Included Illegitimate Children, Homosexuality And A Drug-Addict Wife.

Among the rumors circulated against McCain in 2000 in South Carolina was that his adopted Bangladeshi daughter was actually black, that McCain was both gay and cheated on his wife, and that his wife Cindy was a drug addict.”

Bush Campaign Used Code Words to Question McCain’s Temper.

“A smear campaign of the ugliest sort is now coursing through the contest for the presidency in 2000. Using the code word "temper," a group of Senate Republicans, and at least some outriders of the George W. Bush campaign, are spreading the word that John McCain is unstable. The subtext, also suggested in this whispering campaign, is that he returned from 5 1/2 years as a POW in North Vietnam with a loose screw. And it is bruited about that he shouldn't be entrusted with nuclear weapons.”

Bush Supporters Questioned McCain’s Sanity.

“Some of George W. Bush's supporters have questioned Republican presidential candidate John McCain's fitness for the White House, suggesting that his five years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam drove him insane at the time.”

Bush Supporters Spread Racist Rumors About McCain’s Daughter.

Bush supporters in South Carolina made race-baiting phone calls saying that McCain had a “black child.” The McCains’ daughter, Bridget, was adopted from Mother Teresa’s orphanage in Bangladesh. In August 2000, columnist Maureen Dowd wrote that the McCains “are still seething about Bush supporters in South Carolina spreading word of their dark-skinned adopted daughter.”

Rove Suggests Former POW McCain Committed Treason and Fathered Child With Black Prostitute.

In 2000, McCain operatives in SC accused Rove of spreading rumors against McCain, such as “suggestions that McCain had committed treason while a prisoner of war, and had fathered a child by a black prostitute,” according to the New Yorker.

After Rove Denied Role In McCain Whisper Campaign, Reporters Concluded He Was Behind It.

A December 1999 Dallas Morning News linked Rove to a series of campaign dirty tricks, including his College Republican efforts, allegedly starting a whisper campaign about Ann Richard being too gay-friendly, spreading stories about Jim Hightower’s involvement in a kickback scheme and leaking the educational history of Lena Guerrero. The article also outlined current dirty tricks and whisper campaigns against McCain in South Carolina, including that “McCain may be unstable as a result of being tortured while a prisoner of war in North Vietnam.” (DMN, 12/2/99) After the article was published, Rove blasted Slater in the Manchester, NH airport, “nose to nose” according to one witness, with Rove claiming Slater had “harmed his reputation,” Slater later noted. But according to one witness, “What was interesting then is that everyone on the campaign charter concluded that Rove was responsible for rumors about McCain.”

Rove Was In Close Touch With McConnell, McCain-Feingold’s Chief Opponent.

Senior White House adviser Karl Rove was in close contact with Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) during McConnell’s effort to fight the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Bill in the U.S. Senate. According to Newsweek, though Rove and Bush have publicly kept their distance from McConnell on the issue, “sources tell Newsweek that Rove is, in fact, in close touch with McConnell as GOP experts study the bill for hidden land mines.”

Bush Campaign Accused of Using Push Polls Against McCain.

College of Charleston student Suzette Latsko said she received a telephone call from a woman who identified herself as an employee of Voter/Consumer Research, and that the caller misrepresented McCain’s positions and asked if Latsko knew McCain had been reprimanded for interfering with federal regulators in the savings and loan scandal. Voter/Consumer Research is listed as a polling contractor on Bush’s Federal Election Commission filings; the Bush campaign has paid Voter/Consumer Research $93,000 through December 31, 1999. Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer denied the call was a push poll, but said it was important that the Republican Party remember McCain’s role in the S&L crisis.

Bush Campaign Acknowledged Making Phone Calls.

Tucker Eskew, Bush’s South Carolina spokesman, acknowledged the Bush campaign made such calls, but claimed they were not “push polls.” Eskew added, “Show me a baseless comment in those questions.”

Bush Used Fringe Veterans Group to Attack McCain as “Manchurian Candidate.”

“In the case of Ted Sampley, the same guy who did Bush's dirty work in going after Sen. John McCain in the 2000 Republican primaries is doing the job against Kerry this year. Sampley dared compare McCain, who spent five years as a Vietnam POW, with ‘the Manchurian Candidate.’”

Sampley Called McCain a “Coward” and a Traitor.

“Sampley… accused McCain of being a weak-minded coward who had escaped death by collaborating with the enemy. Sampley claimed that McCain had first been compromised by the Vietnamese, then recruited by the Soviets.”

And all this a decorated POW. Then again, Bush was MIA for years during Vietnam and Cheney "had better things to do" than go to Vietnam. And they clearly devalue hinorable service as they did the same thing to Max Cleland and John Kerry. If I had been Kerry and W started the Swift Boat crap with me, I would have walked over to his podium during a debate and said "listen, at least I voluntered to go you fukcing pu$$y." Then again, they value human life and the brave American soldiers so much that they lied to get us into a war and refused to provide enough soldiers to win that war or enough money at home to take care of the wounded. They make me sick. Now, McCain is continuing the path.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 08-01-2008 at 06:21 PM..
Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

Quote:
Obama's response:

Obama campaign spokesman Hari Sevugan dismissed the ad as a juvenile stunt.

"It's downright sad that on a day when we learned that 51,000 Americans lost their jobs, a candidate for the presidency is spending all of his time and the powerful platform he has on these sorts of juvenile antics," he said in a statement. "Senator McCain can keep telling everyone how 'proud' he is of these political stunts which even his Republican friends and advisors have called'childish', but Barack Obama will continue talking about his plan to jumpstart our economy by giving working families $1,000 of immediate relief."

Somewhat smart to try to shift the focus. But, the focus will remain on this for awhile. Obama must find a way to counter that.

Imagine if Obama ran an ad with skin cancer patients dying of chemo, horrible images of radical skin cancer disfiguting people, families at funerals, etc. -- and then placing this text on the screen - "Sen. McCain has this disease in his veins and it's only a matter of time for the 71 year old man." "Does he have the medical time to lead this country?" Clearly McCain's skin cancer is a legitimate campaign issue. I think, though, that the McCain campaign would be horrified by such an ad. Yet, they run the same kind of tripe.
So, it isn't wasteful or distracting to spend donors money on trips to countries where they can't vote in the election? McCain's doctors disagree with you, so what makes you smarter than they are? Just crack any economics textbook, even those by Paul Krugman, and even he admits these rebates are totally inefficient and do not work. Last time it was tried was back in the Carter era and it didn't work then either. What Obama won't tell you is that if he taxes the oil companies at the rate he wants to and gives us all $1,000.00, it won't outweigh the price increases we will have to suffer as a result of his misguided policy, or the effects from the rising deficit by using the government to do what the market can do more efficiently. Someone open a damn textbook, will ya?! I would actually suggest Paul Krugman's texts, because he uses specific examples of the failures of these types of rehashed 70's energy policies that result in shortages and higher prices. Doesn't anyone remember this? Good lord.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

Quote:
Of course, McCain learned from the best

Bush Waged Nasty Smear Campaign Against McCain in 2000

Bush Supporters Called McCain “The Fag Candidate.” In South Carolina, Bush supporters circulated church fliers that labeled McCain “the fag candidate.” Columnist Frank Rich noted that the fliers were distributed “even as Bush subtly reinforced that message by indicating he wouldn’t hire openly gay people for his administration.”

McCain Slurs Included Illegitimate Children, Homosexuality And A Drug-Addict Wife.

Among the rumors circulated against McCain in 2000 in South Carolina was that his adopted Bangladeshi daughter was actually black, that McCain was both gay and cheated on his wife, and that his wife Cindy was a drug addict.”

Bush Campaign Used Code Words to Question McCain’s Temper.

“A smear campaign of the ugliest sort is now coursing through the contest for the presidency in 2000. Using the code word "temper," a group of Senate Republicans, and at least some outriders of the George W. Bush campaign, are spreading the word that John McCain is unstable. The subtext, also suggested in this whispering campaign, is that he returned from 5 1/2 years as a POW in North Vietnam with a loose screw. And it is bruited about that he shouldn't be entrusted with nuclear weapons.”

Bush Supporters Questioned McCain’s Sanity.

“Some of George W. Bush's supporters have questioned Republican presidential candidate John McCain's fitness for the White House, suggesting that his five years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam drove him insane at the time.”

Bush Supporters Spread Racist Rumors About McCain’s Daughter.

Bush supporters in South Carolina made race-baiting phone calls saying that McCain had a “black child.” The McCains’ daughter, Bridget, was adopted from Mother Teresa’s orphanage in Bangladesh. In August 2000, columnist Maureen Dowd wrote that the McCains “are still seething about Bush supporters in South Carolina spreading word of their dark-skinned adopted daughter.”

Rove Suggests Former POW McCain Committed Treason and Fathered Child With Black Prostitute.

In 2000, McCain operatives in SC accused Rove of spreading rumors against McCain, such as “suggestions that McCain had committed treason while a prisoner of war, and had fathered a child by a black prostitute,” according to the New Yorker.

After Rove Denied Role In McCain Whisper Campaign, Reporters Concluded He Was Behind It.

A December 1999 Dallas Morning News linked Rove to a series of campaign dirty tricks, including his College Republican efforts, allegedly starting a whisper campaign about Ann Richard being too gay-friendly, spreading stories about Jim Hightower’s involvement in a kickback scheme and leaking the educational history of Lena Guerrero. The article also outlined current dirty tricks and whisper campaigns against McCain in South Carolina, including that “McCain may be unstable as a result of being tortured while a prisoner of war in North Vietnam.” (DMN, 12/2/99) After the article was published, Rove blasted Slater in the Manchester, NH airport, “nose to nose” according to one witness, with Rove claiming Slater had “harmed his reputation,” Slater later noted. But according to one witness, “What was interesting then is that everyone on the campaign charter concluded that Rove was responsible for rumors about McCain.”

Rove Was In Close Touch With McConnell, McCain-Feingold’s Chief Opponent.

Senior White House adviser Karl Rove was in close contact with Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) during McConnell’s effort to fight the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Bill in the U.S. Senate. According to Newsweek, though Rove and Bush have publicly kept their distance from McConnell on the issue, “sources tell Newsweek that Rove is, in fact, in close touch with McConnell as GOP experts study the bill for hidden land mines.”

Bush Campaign Accused of Using Push Polls Against McCain.

College of Charleston student Suzette Latsko said she received a telephone call from a woman who identified herself as an employee of Voter/Consumer Research, and that the caller misrepresented McCain’s positions and asked if Latsko knew McCain had been reprimanded for interfering with federal regulators in the savings and loan scandal. Voter/Consumer Research is listed as a polling contractor on Bush’s Federal Election Commission filings; the Bush campaign has paid Voter/Consumer Research $93,000 through December 31, 1999. Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer denied the call was a push poll, but said it was important that the Republican Party remember McCain’s role in the S&L crisis.

Bush Campaign Acknowledged Making Phone Calls.

Tucker Eskew, Bush’s South Carolina spokesman, acknowledged the Bush campaign made such calls, but claimed they were not “push polls.” Eskew added, “Show me a baseless comment in those questions.”

Bush Used Fringe Veterans Group to Attack McCain as “Manchurian Candidate.”

“In the case of Ted Sampley, the same guy who did Bush's dirty work in going after Sen. John McCain in the 2000 Republican primaries is doing the job against Kerry this year. Sampley dared compare McCain, who spent five years as a Vietnam POW, with ‘the Manchurian Candidate.’”

Sampley Called McCain a “Coward” and a Traitor.

“Sampley… accused McCain of being a weak-minded coward who had escaped death by collaborating with the enemy. Sampley claimed that McCain had first been compromised by the Vietnamese, then recruited by the Soviets.”

And all this a decorated POW. Then again, Bush was MIA for years during Vietnam and Cheney "had better things to do" than go to Vietnam. And they clearly devalue hinorable service as they did the same thing to Max Cleland and John Kerry. If I had been Kerry and W started the Swift Boat crap with me, I would have walked over to his podium during a debate and said "listen, at least I voluntered to go you fukcing pu$$y." Then again, they value human life and the brave American soldiers so much that they lied to get us into a war and refused to provide enough soldiers to win that war or enough money at home to take care of the wounded. They make me sick. Now, McCain is continuing the path.
So glad you brought this up! It certainly counters the notion of "McBush" as you would like to portray. Thanks for doing my job for me! I always had a problem with Bush for the way he went after McCain. It was sleazy.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
So glad you brought this up! It certainly counters the notion of "McBush" as you would like to portray. Thanks for doing my job for me! I always had a problem with Bush for the way he went after McCain. It was sleazy.
And equating Obama to a mentally unbalanced blond girl and convicted felon and porn star blond girl is Not to mention the conclusions asserted in that ad a patently false, i.e. McCain lied in the ad. Same shiitte - different day