Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much you guys! It really did help a lot!
I am thinkning of the patches.I'v heard those worked. I'll give it ago!
Thanks again
Jacob
Old 03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
It helped keep me from constantly thinking about smoking. Then when the habit of feeling like grabbing a cigarette was gone I stopped the patches.
I used the patch initially to help me adjust to the fact that I wasn't smoking. I couldn't have done it without the patch those first two weeks- I probably would have lost my mind. The best thing to do is to just get the **** out of your body as fast as possible, if you can. Again, it just depends on how addicted you are.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC
I used the patch initially to help me adjust to the fact that I wasn't smoking. I couldn't have done it without the patch those first two weeks- I probably would have lost my mind. The best thing to do is to just get the **** out of your body as fast as possible, if you can. Again, it just depends on how addicted you are.
I needed them too. I was highly addicted, especially emotionally. So I had to relearn how to deal with my emotions without smoking!

Here's some info from the American Cancer Society:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...ng_Smoking.asp
Old 03-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elie
I am probably not the right person to answer that, because I started smoking again after having successfully quit for 3-4 months. But when I did quit, I did it by just literally stopping smoking. And I mean, I just suddenly didn't smoke anymore. I know it is not the easiest way, but it certainly is the best one. It doesn't help if you say "I will just smoke less and less till I come down to none", because if you smoke, let's say just 5 per day, you can easily go back to 6, 10 or a pack. You have to stop it completely.
Anyway, it also helps to think that the "physical" addiction to nicotine (as proved scientifically), goes away completely after a couple of months. I know lots of people who have quit and don't miss it anymore, because they really wanted to quit. The addiction is only in your head, if you really want to quit, then it's easy.
I say that from personal experience, because when I quit, I felt very happy and proud of myself and didn't miss it.(I started again because I was studying hard and I got anxious and I got stupid... )
I 'd say that nicotine patches are not the best way, because they offer you, well, nicotine again, so that doesn't help so much with the physical thing. But they work when you just want to get used to not lighting up a cigarette.
GOOD LUCK! This post makes me want to quit myself!!

PS (sorry for the long post)
Some other tips that help
-Don't eat very spicy food (it makes you feel more like smoking after the meal)
-Whenever you feel like lighting a cigarette, wait for like 3 minutes before you do it. The urge to smoke goes away easily after a while. Do that every time, every day and it will eventually go away..
Agreed - I smoked since i was 16 and quit at 18 - I no its not a very long time, but i smoked at least a pack a week One day i just said to myself, this is so ridiculous, why the hell am I doing this? So i just stopped. That was around 2 years ago, and havn't touched one since. i really think you have to wan't to stop though. You really have to want it
Old 03-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I just want to pop in again with my advice to him to ask his doctor for wellbutrin. I quit once without it, but only for six weeks. It's awesome.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 03-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I tried Wellbutrin once and all I wanted to do was sleep. It did nothing to make me want to stop smoking. So trying it isn't a bad idea, but it's not for everybody. I truly believe the only people who are successful at quitting for the long haul are those who truly want to quit.

"Don't f*&k with anyone's dog and don't ever date a musician."
Old 03-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti
I tried Wellbutrin once and all I wanted to do was sleep. It did nothing to make me want to stop smoking. So trying it isn't a bad idea, but it's not for everybody. I truly believe the only people who are successful at quitting for the long haul are those who truly want to quit.
Is Wellbutrin an anti-depressant?
Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Yes, but just cause I took wellbutrin doesn't mean I didn't truly want to quit. Hopefully you were not connecting those two thoughts.
Yes, of course it's not for everybody. IT gave me extra energy.
I took it for about 3 months before I finally quit successfully. But I know from the last time I quit without it that the cravings are monumentally reduced. For me.
Yes, DavidMn, it's an antidepressant.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 03-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No Amber I didn't mean that at all, although I can see where you might think that upon rereading my post.

What I meant was, at the time I took Welbutrin it didn't help me at all because I wasn't truly ready to quit. Now that I am having health issues that are pretty much forcing me to quit, I find I don't need stop smoking aids because I want to quit before my health issues become more serious and possibly life-threatening.

It's funny how Welbutrin did nothing but make me lethargic and it gave you extra energy. I'm very susceptible to downers, though, so I'm not surprised what it did to me.

"Don't f*&k with anyone's dog and don't ever date a musician."
Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No Amber I didn't mean that at all, although I can see where you might think that upon rereading my post.

What I meant was, at the time I took Welbutrin it didn't help me at all because I wasn't truly ready to quit. Now that I am having health issues that are pretty much forcing me to quit, I find I don't need stop smoking aids because I want to quit before my health issues become more serious and possibly life-threatening.

It's funny how Welbutrin did nothing but make me lethargic and it gave you extra energy. I'm very susceptible to downers, though, so I'm not surprised what it did to me.
Ah, and I'm very susceptible to uppers. That is odd, though.

I hope your health improves.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
How did you, if you smoked, quit. I need help!
What did I do? I put out the cigarette in the ashtray on the coffee table next to me. The ashtray was a carnival glass ashtray -- I think a peach opalescent Leaf Rays made by Dugan. Not terrifically valuable, but a nice curio.

I have not lit up a cigarette since then. I now use the peach opal ashtray (really a nappy) to hold the kitchen sponge.

moviekinks.blogspot.com