Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Live in Boston

I'm a little slow, but I just bought the Live in Boston DVD/CD set last week.

The CD left something to be desired...

Eyes of the World rocks. I'm glad they chose it to kick off the CD, and I thought they would've done well to drop The Chain (or just have it come later in the set) and just open the concert with this.

Dreams, I could've done without. It's basically the same as the version that's on The Dance, plus I think Stevie's voice is starting to show some wear on this one. They should've included the song Say You Will. It's a fun little song to hear live.

Rhiannon and Come both kick @#$$ (can you curse here?). I prefer Stevie's latter-day performances of Rhiannon...it's hard to say which version I like better...the one on LIB or the one on The Dance. As for Come, I never realized how much this song rocks live. The sound quality on the bootlegs are never that great.

Big Love and Landslide are both pretty much rehashes of what's on The Dance. They could've stuck something else in there, like Never Going Back Again or Beautiful Child.

Silver Springs...is it me, or does Stevie's voice sound shaky on this? I don't know why they decided to put this on the CD if she can't outdo The Dance version. Again, I would rather have Beautiful Child in place of this.

I'm So Afraid...another Dance rehash, although watching it on the DVD...it totally kicks @#$$. Way better than The Dance version. Maybe if they'd put some non-Dance LB songs on the CD in place of Big Love and GYOW, they could keep this one and I wouldn't complain.

Stand Back is the only other song except for Rhiannon (on the CD) where Stevie really lets loose. Sooo glad they put this one on the CD.

Go Your Own Way...bleh...I would rather have had World Turning, sans Mick's drum solo.

As for the DVD...I really like this. Overall, it's better than The Dance, simply because they put the whole concert on here. And without Christine, LB and SN really get to play up their whole "lost lovers" thing. One of the highlights was during "Landslide" when Stevie is rubbing Lindsey's shoulders during his guitar solo, and nearly doesn't make it back to the mic in time to pick up on the next verse.

I thought Stevie was so beautiful during the performance of "Gypsy." This song was kind of vapid on The Dance, and in the bootlegs I heard from the SYW tour. But on the Live in Boston DVD, she just shines, with the beige shawl and boots, and the low-cut black dress. Really sexy.

She also seems to be having a lot of fun on "Say You Will," and I have to say that this is a fun little song to watch her do. With the rodeo dance, and everything. Umm, let's see...

Watching Lindsey do Never Going Back Again was great...he's lost some of his vocal range, unfortunately, so this isn't quite as good as the version on the Live 1980 album, but it comes close. This has always been one of my favorite songs of his. "Say Goodbye" is also great. It's really touching to watch the two of them sing this facing each other like that.

World Turning was interesting. I've heard everyone talk about Mick's drum solo, but I'd never actually seen it before. It wasn't *that* bad. Kind of interesting.

I didn't really like all the Stevie close-ups. They got too far up in her face a little too often, and I thought she had on too much make-up. I did notice Lindsey's shirt riding up during "Tusk" (I think it was Tusk). I got a little excited by that...hehe.

Anyway...it's a great concert, I think. Especially since I think I paid less than $30 for it at Best Buy. Great deal.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas
I prefer Stevie's latter-day performances of Rhiannon.
Well, there ya go! The "great big world" thing again!

Quote:
I didn't really like all the Stevie close-ups. They got too far up in her face a little too often, and I thought she had on too much make-up.
I got a little tired looking at that zit or excrescence on the right side of her nose.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Dreams, I could've done without. It's basically the same as the version that's on The Dance, plus I think Stevie's voice is starting to show some wear on this one. They should've included the song Say You Will. It's a fun little song to hear live.
I prefer this version of Dreams over The Dance version, it just sounds better for some reason. I'm glad they didn't put SYW on the CD, that song bores me to tears. I'm sorry, but it's incredibly dull live and her EXTREMELY low vocals on that song make me wanna hurl. It's the only song I skip on the DVD.

Quote:
Rhiannon and Come both kick @#$$ (can you curse here?). I prefer Stevie's latter-day performances of Rhiannon...it's hard to say which version I like better...the one on LIB or the one on The Dance. As for Come, I never realized how much this song rocks live. The sound quality on the bootlegs are never that great.
While I passionately dislike the latter-day Rhiannons, this one kicks ass. I love it! And Come is perfection. I love those high notes he sings before he launches into the solo.

Quote:
Silver Springs...is it me, or does Stevie's voice sound shaky on this? I don't know why they decided to put this on the CD if she can't outdo The Dance version. Again, I would rather have Beautiful Child in place of this.
Trust me, it's not you. When they played this on the FM marathon a few weeks back, I literally *cringed*. She does not sound good on this song at all; she's REALLY straining to hit those notes, it's no wonder they dropped it. However, I must say, she really kicks it into gear for the ending...it's fab.

Quote:
Stand Back is the only other song except for Rhiannon (on the CD) where Stevie really lets loose. Sooo glad they put this one on the CD.
I LOVE Stand Back on this tour, it's probably the best it's ever been. I wish they would've canned the cloying solo that runs for way too long in the beginning, it's so blah.

Quote:
I thought Stevie was so beautiful during the performance of "Gypsy." This song was kind of vapid on The Dance, and in the bootlegs I heard from the SYW tour. But on the Live in Boston DVD, she just shines, with the beige shawl and boots, and the low-cut black dress. Really sexy.
I think it was John Run who said that this version of Gypsy makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, and it does. She looks gorgeous, she sounds gorgeous, and I love the "bright eyes." I was never a fan of Gypsy live, but this one rocks.

Quote:
Watching Lindsey do Never Going Back Again was great...he's lost some of his vocal range, unfortunately, so this isn't quite as good as the version on the Live 1980 album, but it comes close.
A Mac singer who lost their range?! Nevah!

Quote:
World Turning was interesting. I've heard everyone talk about Mick's drum solo, but I'd never actually seen it before. It wasn't *that* bad. Kind of interesting.
Yeah, the world is turning in his head. Too bad it hasn't knocked him out yet.

Quote:
I didn't really like all the Stevie close-ups. They got too far up in her face a little too often, and I thought she had on too much make-up. I did notice Lindsey's shirt riding up during "Tusk" (I think it was Tusk). I got a little excited by that...hehe.
I agree. As beautiful as Stevie is, that zit was obnoxious.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, the CD is pretty stupid since it is the same as the Dance with one or two new songs!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 07-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

RE: Dreams.

I do kind of like the LIB one slightly better, but it doesn't sound so good on the CD for some reason.

I know a lot of people don't like her current renditions of Rhiannon, but I suppose I just have a thing for husky female vocals. It's like with Joni Mitchell. She used to have a really high, clear voice, but because of her smoking, her voice began to deepen to the point that she has now completely lost her ability to hit those high notes, and her voice is very husky and smoky. A lot of people can't stand it, but I prefer it. I find her late '60s/early '70s vocals unlistenable a lot of the times, because I can't tolerate those high notes very much.

Stevie used to be able to get her voice way up there (you can especially hear it on some of the old B/N demos), but I find it irritating. I'd much rather hear her now.