Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Milwaukee (Bradley Center) 2/12/2015

Journal Sentinel Online by Piet Levy, 2/13/2015

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainmen...291800811.html

Moments of strength, and flatness, for Fleetwood Mac at BMO Harris Bradley Center

With Christine McVie back in Fleetwood Mac after more than 16 years, singer and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham told a near-capacity BMO Harris Bradley Center on Thursday "we begin a profound, poetic and I think a prolific new chapter."

Can't say Thursday's show was always profound, and it's highly doubtful Mac — which dropped its self-titled album, the first with game-changing additions Buckingham and singer Stevie Nicks, four decades ago this year — is going to be all that prolific going forward.

But it did seem that Buckingham and most of the band believed the words he was saying. And that conviction, coupled with enduring talent and classic rock songs, was enough to make Thursday's 21/2-hour show, the 54th on its current tour, a nice little footnote for Milwaukee fans.

McVie, however, seemed to live by very different words she uttered: "I'm not as strong as I used to be," as sung during "Say You Love Me." Her appearance was welcome for sentimental reasons, evident by the warm response when she took lead vocals for the first time in the night, for "You Make Loving Fun."

But there were moments of vocal flatness — most obvious at concert's end for her signature "Songbird," alone on piano with Buckingham on electric guitar — and McVie lacked the charisma of her now more-seasoned singing bandmates. Even drummer Mick Fleetwood — perched behind his decked-out kit with chimes and gong — had more pizzazz, albeit perhaps too much when he disguised a lengthy and ultimately none too impressive drum solo during "World Turning" with hollow, hype-fanning pseudo scat-speak.

There were other moments of self-indulgence. "Go Your Own Way," one of several enduring singles from the band's mega-blockbuster "Rumours," ends on the album with a sudden, anti-climactic fade, but Thursday's drawn-out, jam-session finale wasn't much of an improvement.

And Buckingham, like Fleetwood, was a ham, yelping like a cowboy between some songs, cackling like a pirate at the start of a still-rollicking "Tusk," and stomping about like a toddler throwing a tantrum once the song was over. His voice, while emotionally charged, also was a touch raw compared with the heavenly harmonies of Mac's '70s heyday. But his guitar playing, from the bluesy build on concert-opener "The Chain" to the bittersweet beauty of his acoustic guitar on "Landslide," was consistently exquisite.

Nicks acknowledged before "Landslide" — performed with just Buckingham by her side — that the pair had performed the song hundreds of times. But in dedicating it to her late father — it was his favorite song, she said — she still conveyed the same quiet majesty she brought to the first recording 40 years ago.

Nicks' alluring voice and mystical charisma led the band through anthemic yet intimate soft rock charmers like "Dreams," "Rhiannon" and "Gold Dust Woman" — a set list of hits so great that the band can be excused if that "prolific new chapter" never comes. After all, Fleetwood Mac already created a story for the ages.

Facebook: fb.me/piet.levy.18
Old 02-14-2015, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Premium Fleetwood

Did you buy a premium ticket for Fleetwood Mac at the BMO Harris Bradley Center? Music writer Piet Levy is working on a feature story on VIP concert experiences. Email him at plevy@journalsentinel.com by Wednesday.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Journal Sentinel Online by Piet Levy, 2/13/2015

Moments of strength, and flatness, for Fleetwood Mac at BMO Harris Bradley Center

With Christine McVie back in Fleetwood Mac after more than 16 years, singer and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham told a near-capacity BMO Harris Bradley Center on Thursday "we begin a profound, poetic and I think a prolific new chapter."

Can't say Thursday's show was always profound, and it's highly doubtful Mac — which dropped its self-titled album, the first with game-changing additions Buckingham and singer Stevie Nicks, four decades ago this year — is going to be all that prolific going forward.

But it did seem that Buckingham and most of the band believed the words he was saying. And that conviction, coupled with enduring talent and classic rock songs, was enough to make Thursday's 21/2-hour show, the 54th on its current tour, a nice little footnote for Milwaukee fans.

McVie, however, seemed to live by very different words she uttered: "I'm not as strong as I used to be," as sung during "Say You Love Me." Her appearance was welcome for sentimental reasons, evident by the warm response when she took lead vocals for the first time in the night, for "You Make Loving Fun."

But there were moments of vocal flatness — most obvious at concert's end for her signature "Songbird," alone on piano with Buckingham on electric guitar — and McVie lacked the charisma of her now more-seasoned singing bandmates. Even drummer Mick Fleetwood — perched behind his decked-out kit with chimes and gong — had more pizzazz, albeit perhaps too much when he disguised a lengthy and ultimately none too impressive drum solo during "World Turning" with hollow, hype-fanning pseudo scat-speak.

There were other moments of self-indulgence. "Go Your Own Way," one of several enduring singles from the band's mega-blockbuster "Rumours," ends on the album with a sudden, anti-climactic fade, but Thursday's drawn-out, jam-session finale wasn't much of an improvement.

And Buckingham, like Fleetwood, was a ham, yelping like a cowboy between some songs, cackling like a pirate at the start of a still-rollicking "Tusk," and stomping about like a toddler throwing a tantrum once the song was over. His voice, while emotionally charged, also was a touch raw compared with the heavenly harmonies of Mac's '70s heyday. But his guitar playing, from the bluesy build on concert-opener "The Chain" to the bittersweet beauty of his acoustic guitar on "Landslide," was consistently exquisite.

Nicks acknowledged before "Landslide" — performed with just Buckingham by her side — that the pair had performed the song hundreds of times. But in dedicating it to her late father — it was his favorite song, she said — she still conveyed the same quiet majesty she brought to the first recording 40 years ago.

Nicks' alluring voice and mystical charisma led the band through anthemic yet intimate soft rock charmers like "Dreams," "Rhiannon" and "Gold Dust Woman" — a set list of hits so great that the band can be excused if that "prolific new chapter" never comes. After all, Fleetwood Mac already created a story for the ages.

Facebook: fb.me/piet.levy.18
What an annoying review. It's not that I disagree with some of the writer's observations (that's Piet's prerogative) but that he seems passive aggressive in places.

And why would he care about people's experiences when he clearly has at best a mixed reaction about the show?

Last edited by aleuzzi; 02-14-2015 at 09:55 PM..
Old 02-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Buckingham was a ham." hahaha He totally is. He's not trying to be "cool" or anything. It is good that the reviewer added that he was "consistently exquisite."

Interesting he is criticizing Go Your Own Way of all songs. That one rarely gets criticism...and Lindsey's rougher, more emotional vocals have been the norm for many many years. His voice was only high for a short time.

Christine vocally flat on Songbird? Maybe. She just isn't a showman when it comes to performing. She could really milk Songbird and draw out her vocals. But what is so endearing is it stays like a little lullaby, so short, intimate and genuine. For me, these qualities make Christine stand out among other female rock vocalists; she is one of a kind, and 100% essential.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
What an annoying review. It's not that I disagree with some of the writer's observations (that's Piet's prerogative) but that he seems passive aggressiveness in places.

And why would he care about people's experiences when he clearly has at best a mixed reaction about the show?
I agree... The "not as strong as I used to be" is so petty and such stupid pun. Yes Chris is 71 but she is rocking with the best of them.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Interesting he is criticizing Go Your Own Way of all songs. That one rarely gets criticism...
I was surprised to see this and really wasn't sure what he wanted. A "drawn-out jam session?" WTH is he talking about? I wouldn't really call the solo and ending of GYOW a jam session.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I was surprised to see this and really wasn't sure what he wanted. A "drawn-out jam session?" WTH is he talking about? I wouldn't really call the solo and ending of GYOW a jam session.
Yeah, he went into the review prepared to spout a thesis: Stevie's great, Lindsey's great when he's sticking to the record, and the rest are their backing band. He and I saw very different bands. Maybe he's only used to the band from the last 15 years, post "The Dance"? It appears he doesn't understand how Christine functions on stage and contributes to the overall chemistry without ever trying to hog or take center stage. She has always been this way. It's part of her unique appeal.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Interesting he is criticizing Go Your Own Way of all songs. That one rarely gets criticism...and Lindsey's rougher, more emotional vocals have been the norm for many many years. His voice was only high for a short time.
As for Lindsey cackling like a pirate at the beginning of Tusk, since the studio version begins with cackling, I'd think one would expect that.

Michele
Old 02-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What is he talking about? In the 2 shows I saw in this tour, I could not believe how good Chris sounded......like the years between had never happened. Maybe he is not a FM fan, and was forced to cover the show????
Old 02-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not like Christine has changed. It's not like she was hamming it up in a drum vest for the Mirage tour, but is old and worn out now.

The only thing I would say is different is like that Youtube clip we saw when Mick got sick. In the old days I think Christine would have addressed the audience about it. In fact, it would have been more like Stevie to whisper to Christine as she was talking to the audience, rather than to address the audience directly herself. I'm not saying that Stevie was shy, because she wasn't. She'd talk but wouldn't necessarily take the mic on matters like that.

Performance wise, Christine's energy is the same, if not heightened, actually.

Michele
Old 02-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This reviewer has probably been reading other reviews of earlier shows. Those reviews have, for the most part, been very positive, and especially positive toward Chris and the effect her return has had on the band as a whole.

So this guy decides he's going to write something different from what all the other reviewers are writing. He writes a bad review just to make it seem like he has some insight to offer. That's real quality journalism. (<-- sarcasm>)
Old 02-14-2015, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://expressmilwaukee.com/article-...ey-center.html

Saturday, Feb. 14, 2015 Fleetwood Mac @ BMO Harris Bradley Center

By Michael Muckian, Express Milwaukee

Fleetwood Mac, the irrepressible pop-rock engine, rolled into Milwaukee Thursday with a huff and puff and as much energy as its aging members could muster. All things considered, that energy proved to be considerable.

Guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, who turns 66 on Oct. 3, is the band’s youngest member, and the numbers only go up from there. But none of that mattered to a mixed-age audience of the faithful, who all but filled the BMO Harris Bradley Center. Given that the band’s lineup also included stalwarts Mick Fleetwood on drums, John McVie on bass, vocalist Stevie Nicks on ribbon-bedecked tambourine, and for the first time in a long, long time, vocalist Christine McVie on keyboards, Fleetwood Mac’s most successful combination was back together again.

Given the age of its members, the band fairly well rocked the walls with a running list of favorite hits on the 54th concert of its current tour. The group played against a fairly engaging backdrop of downright inventive visual imagery that helped drive some the audience’s elder members to gyrate and throb as if on some virulent form of Ecstasy (or perhaps Metamucil).

You name the hit, Fleetwood Mac played it, with a sometimes manic-looking Fleetwood mallet-thumping the skins with almost youthful abandon. Cancer survivor John McVie literally hid in the shadow of Fleetwood’s massive drum kit, while his ex-wife, Christine, Nicks and Buckingham formed the band’s frontline.

The nearly three-hour concert opened with “The Chain,” “You Make Loving Fun” and “Dreams” before the band even engaged its visuals. The concert’s pace was measured and the between-song banter bright enough to keep the musicians familiar and endearing, although Buckingham’s yelps and squawks made him sound like an overage rocker bad-boy long gone to seed.

Years on the road no doubt offered some insights to the aging arena rockers, who were supported by a much younger seven-piece squad of musicians, including three female backup singers, performing in shadow behind the band. The youngsters helped round out the sound and fill the cavernous hall, but Buckingham’s impressive guitar work still fronted the performance, reminding all what an accomplished musician he really is.

Familiar hits filled the show, including “Rhiannon,” a trippy “Tusk,” “Gypsy,” a touching “Landslide” performed by Nicks and Buckingham, “Go Your Own Way” and others for a 24-song lineup.

Early on Buckingham welcomed Christine McVie back, saying the band was on its way to a “profound, poetic and I think a prolific new chapter.” Despite that, Christine McVie’s anthem “Don’t Stop” was not on the evenings’ playlist.

Maybe the future won’t be quite as progressive as Buckingham thinks, but in the minds and hearts of the faithful, the only “tomorrow” they’re concerned about is one in which Fleetwood Mac comes back real soon.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^You name the hit, Fleetwood Mac played it. Hmm. So that means they did Hold Me. Yay!

Michele
Old 02-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Despite that, Christine McVie’s anthem “Don’t Stop” was not on the evenings’ playlist.
I'm sure Don't Stop was on the bands playlist but this writer was in such a rush to join Elvis and leave the building as quickly as he can. He didn't stick around for the encores.If he had I'm sure he would have trashed World Turning, as many reporters do.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Examiner, February 14, 2015

http://www.examiner.com/review/fleet...time-milwaukee

5 Stars *****

Fleetwood Mac perform live at the BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee during 'On with the Show' tour

On the road since August 2014, Fleetwood Mac pulled into Milwaukee’s BMO Harris Bradley Center on Feb. 12 for their “On with the Show” tour. Performing without an opening act, it was the 54th show on this extensive trek and featured the five core members who took the band to multiplatinum success with the chart-topping “Rumours” in 1977.

Christine McVie rejoined Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks on this tour for the first time since her retirement in 1998. Opening with “The Chain” seemed an appropriate start to the show and quickly brought fans to their feet. “You Make Loving Fun” followed as a de facto tribute to Christine’s return to the band.

Major vocal highlights of the show included Buckingham’s acoustic and cathartic “Big Love,” McVie’s beautifully harmonic “You Make Loving Fun,” and Nicks’ haunting breakup anthem “Silver Springs,” arguably her best performance of the night next to “Gold Dust Woman.”

McVie, Nicks and Buckingham indulged the audience by sharing their memories and inspiration for certain songs during the show. Nicks shared a particularly poignant story when she introduced early '80s hit “Gypsy.” She spoke to the audience about her first trip to San Francisco’s famed Velvet Underground clothing store in the ‘60s that's referenced in the song. This store was frequented by Janis Joplin and Nicks’ memory of being there offered a sweet, deeply personal look into her starstruck thoughts of Janis Joplin before eventually achieving rock stardom herself.

Musically the show was without flaw. The rhythm tandem of John McVie and Fleetwood on bass and drums, respectively, served as a solid backbone. However, it was Buckingham on guitar who provided the heart and musical fabric that set the tone for the entire production. Buckingham pumped vitality into the show—bouncing around the stage and remaining at the forefront for most of the evening. His technical chops and unique guitar play continue to be a perfect complement to Mick and John. “I’m So Afraid” best showcased that intricate relationship given the constant battle between guitar and rhythm throughout the song.

Fleetwood Mac finished their set proper more than two hours after it began with crowd-favorite, “Go Your Own Way.” They returned for an encore that began with “World Turning,” featuring Mick Fleetwood’s percussive prowess. Fleetwood clearly relished his drum solo during the song that included an eccentric call and response between him and the audience. Christine then led them through “Don’t Stop” before Nicks finished with “Silver Springs.” They returned for a second encore to perform “Songbird” that reaffirmed Christine’s triumphant return to the band, and offered a perfect bookend to the show. Mick sat proudly in Christine’s shadow, listening and dramatically tipping his red top hat to her as she played the final song of the night.

Their setlist has remained fixed for the duration of the tour, and was chosen to highlight each member’s talents while also reflecting upon their bevy of hit singles. With a band of Fleetwood Mac’s caliber, fan base and massive catalog they’re not going to hit on everybody’s personal favorite song. However, it would be nice if they left room for a few songs that rotate each night for a surprise deep cut or other favorite hitnin lieu of performing the identical show each night. That said, they’ve cultivated the concert into a finely tuned machine.

This band has been touring and playing together for more than 35 years and it shows. They have a unique and remarkable chemistry and sound. And, despite Buckingham’s numerous references to being an old man, he and the Mac still delivered a commanding two-and-a-half hour performance