Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default a "crystal" related question...

Having recently bought the White album and listening to Linds singing Crysal ( his voice is beautiful!), it got me wondering...it's a Stevie written song..... with him on lead vocals, how unusual is that??? Are there anymore (on the BN album perhaps?) I can't ever imagine Stevie singing lead on any of his written songs, so for her, to let him do that on Crysal must have been something pretty special.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only other song that I can think of where the lyric was written by one and the song was sung, not as a duet, but as a totally solo vocal by another is Mystified. Course that was between Lindsey and Christine.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
The only other song that I can think of where the lyric was written by one and the song was sung, not as a duet, but as a totally solo vocal by another is Mystified. Course that was between Lindsey and Christine.
Lindsey originally sang that anyway, and I prefer the original (which would remain "demo") version of that song with him on vocals....but the Christine/album version is nice aswell.

Old 08-05-2002, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: a "crystal" related question...

Quote:
Originally posted by tuigirl
it's a Stevie written song..... with him on lead vocals, how unusual is that??? Are there anymore (on the BN album perhaps?) I can't ever imagine Stevie singing lead on any of his written songs, so for her, to let him do that on Crysal must have been something pretty special.
I think that technically, on The Chain, Lindsey sings lyrics which are mostly Stevie's - although I heard he came up with the line "Running in the shadows."

It IS interesting that Lindsey sang Crystal, as Stevie has said that Lindsey wasn't exactly into all those "crystal visions" lyrics she had. He probably thought they were too airy-fairy or something lol. Yet he sang this, and quite well, too - like he means it. I think his voice sounds better on the BN version - deeper, more masculine. He sang higher for the white album in general, it seems, at least on that song and I'm So Afraid.

If I were to guess how that came about (and of course I'm just guessing!) I would think that while Lindsey was working on the song in the studio, he probably sang along as he figured out the chording or whatever. Perhaps he, Stevie, and Keith liked how he sounded on it and decided when it was time to record that they would do it with him on the vocal.

Plus, there's the ladykiller aspect of the song, where we all go "aahhhh" when he sings lines like "the love that had finally, finally found me, then I knew in the crystalline knowledge of you..." They probably figured that angle couldn't hurt sales amongst the female members of the record-buying public! lol!

All guessing! But one thing's for sure: Lindsey and Stevie weren't as hostile towards each other at that point and more open to sharing. The BN period is also the only time they are credited as having written a song together, just the two of them (Frozen Love). Ah, but then the faces of love have changed! ;-)

Old 08-06-2002, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I s'pose that's true about The Chain. I tend to always overlook that one because I guess don't really think of it as a Lindsey solo vocal since there is so much group vocalizing throughout.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:06 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca

Lindsey originally sang that anyway, and I prefer the original (which would remain "demo") version of that song with him on vocals....but the Christine/album version is nice aswell.

Of course, the demo was probably going to be more polished in it's final state, but I like the TITN version better. And by the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Christine got writing credit as well - in the demo, there's a lyrical hole for "The light that shines..." bridge part.

Another one, I don't know who's heard You And I Part II sung by Christine, but I believe she actually wrote that one as well. It sounds as if it was changed to be part II because where the "you you you you you and I" part is, Chris sings "if you will love me today". It's a really nice rendition.
-Brian
Old 08-07-2002, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine said she'd written an instrumental piece called "the Dolphin song" or something like that, and Lindsey took that home and added lyrics -- becoming Mystified.

You and I, part 2 was the opposite with Lindsey writing an instrumental and Christine adding words.

They've got co-writing credits on both of those.

Last edited by Les; 08-07-2002 at 12:18 PM..
Old 08-07-2002, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
Christine said she'd written an instrumental piece called "the Dolphin song" or something like that, and Lindsey took that home and added lyrics -- becoming Mystified....
What a cool name! for an instrumental version of the song it's perfect !