User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Why do you dislike Red Rover?

I'm sitting here listening to my fave SYW song and I'm wondering why people don't like it. Also, what would you change, the music? The lyrics?

I'll tell you why I do love it so much. First of all, it reminds me of my grandfather, who died in 1994. Also, the second I heard it online, I was like WOW, at the music, the urgency of the song. There are certain guitar parts that give me chills and his voice soars on the song. IMO, the song just flows well with the dark lyrics and wierd music.

I'm not trying to start a feud (LOL). I realize that we all love different songs, and this one seems to be polarized....ya either love it or hate it. Just curious.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up

this is my 2nd favorite song on the album (after miranda). i like everything about it--the guitar, lyrics, and especially LB's singin'
Old 03-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I used to despise it and even burned a copy of SYW without it. Blasphemy, I know.

But then, I lost that copy and had to listen to the actual CD and I started to really like it. Now I love it. Whenever, I pop SYW in, it's one of the first songs I listen to.

Now they just need to play it live, dammit.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:55 PM

I didn't quite know what to make of it at first. But then one day it was like, Pop! Hey, that is tremendous! I think I understand what's going on now.

What I don't like about it is that I can't play it.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also liked it instantly. The only thing I could probably mention was that muttering- I mean you don`t understand what he is singing. On the other hand doesn't that really matter too much to me.
I guess my favourite part is during the chorus where the altered voice sounds very cool and the guitar has something from the Sara-sound. But as the thread name is- why do you dislike Red rover I state that I missed the topic somehow
Old 03-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It instantly appealed to me. There was the elaborate guitar, which I loved, but also there were some really great lyrical and melodic lines. I like the jazzy way he sings "in Heaven on Hell" and the power of "Anyone at all could see what was missing; could see you were dying, but no one was crying." The only things that bothered me at first were the odd syllabic stresses and the creepiness of the "Red Rover Red Rover" part, but in the first case, I looked past the linguistics to the music (did I just say that? lol) and soon forgot all about it. In the second case, I just focused on the mood it created rather than its creepiness and therefore stopped being bothered by it.

It's my favorite Lindsey song on the album. I adore it, and don't understand the hostility people have toward it at all. When LB played it at Soundstage, I about passed out, I thought it was so cool! Lindsey is DA MAN! lol

Last edited by sodascouts; 03-25-2004 at 05:19 PM..
Old 03-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Who doesn't like it?

I love it. It's aces. Love that guitar...go Lindsey, go!
Old 03-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

One of the best written songs on the album.

I think most of the people who dislike it are the "play it safe" Mac fans.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
It's my favorite Lindsey song on the album. I adore it, and don't understand the hostility people have toward it at all. When LB played it at Soundstage, I about passed out, I thought it was so cool! Lindsey is DA MAN! lol
i don't dislike it either

Please sodascouts tell us more about that performance. As a whole. did he freak out a lot singin'? screaming his head off and stuff? Did he play burning heavy sologuitar on murrow? was is it more folky or more rock?

I'm so damn curious since september...........

Old 03-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like it. I think the non-chorus parts are brilliant. The chorus on the other hand I think it satire at its best if that was his intent, which he has sort of stated it was. If not, he should be shot for rhyming "red rover red rover" with "we've come, we've come, we've come to take you over"

Again, I really like the song if its satire.

Interestingly, I think this song and Murrow have such nusically powerful choruses that bring order to the sort of whispered or fleetingly said lyrics. Sort of like the "Ode to Joy" brings order in Beetovan's 9th. LB likes this theme and so do I. This is one more example of LB's brilliance IMO

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by shackin'up
i don't dislike it either

Please sodascouts tell us more about that performance. As a whole. did he freak out a lot singin'? screaming his head off and stuff? Did he play burning heavy sologuitar on murrow? was is it more folky or more rock?

It and Murrow were the best amongst greatness.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by shackin'up

It's been a while, but I went back and read my review and tried to re-live it that way, lol.

Vocally, Lindsey didn't do much screaming, and there were more acoustic pieces than big electric guitar bits. Red Rover he sang mostly softly, and you could tell he was really concentrating on the notes, but he pulled it off FLAWLESSLY.

Murrow was interesting. I thought "How will he do the overlapping vocals? Have Neale and Brett doing vocals?" Now - he just sang it like "Murrow turning over in his grave, Murrow turning over in his grave, Ed Murrow had a child - in his grave - the damn thing went wild - in his grave." Of course I'm thinking "Um, that doesn't really work - sound like he's talking about Murrow giving birth in his coffin!"

The first time he played the solo, it started coming out as ISA! lol! He stopped and muttered, "I'm stealing from myself!" They did it again, and he did the Murrow solo. It DID rock.

SO many great moments, from the opening of "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" to the ending "Save Me a Place." Every song was special. The whole night was special. If I could only see one show, that would be it.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation LMAO!!!

Quote:
The first time he played the solo, it started coming out as ISA! lol! He stopped and muttered, "I'm stealing from myself!"
He'd better watch out. John Fogerty was "sued" for that.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red Rover is my favorite song on SYW. I love it! I guess I can see why people wouldn't like it, especially with some of the vocals he does and some aspects of it can drive a person insane, but I think it's amazing. I love the vocals, I love the guitar, I love the whole sound of it. Though I swear everytime I hear it, I think someone is sending me in instant message through AIM because that noise is definitely in there!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like this song too. It's cool and different. It's not like most songs you hear.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:13 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.