Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default $100 a barrel oil by 2007?

So I'm watching CNBC this morning and this fellow was on there blabbering how oil will be over $100 by 2007 saying it's the end, Armageddon, Blah Blah Blah. I've read more intelligent people than myself (there are alot of those ) say it's bad in that the economy will go in the toilet and some others say it's good because people will have to change their habits. I guess I tend to fall in the latter camp. But what the hell do I know?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard that the supposed 'oil shortage' is just a big conspiracy for oil companies to hike up the prices of their oil
Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
I heard that the supposed 'oil shortage' is just a big conspiracy for oil companies to hike up the prices of their oil
I wouldnt be surprised if you're right.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yeah, I don't know what to think. My house uses oil for heat and I'm trying to decide if I should lock in a price now, wait a month until things (hopefully) settle down, or what.

Sure it would be a good thing if the high prices get people with disposible income to change their habits, but we don't really fall into the "disposible income" camp right now. So we just keep stocking up on firewood and blankets.

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar
Yeah, I don't know what to think. My house uses oil for heat and I'm trying to decide if I should lock in a price now, wait a month until things (hopefully) settle down, or what.

Sure it would be a good thing if the high prices get people with disposible income to change their habits, but we don't really fall into the "disposible income" camp right now. So we just keep stocking up on firewood and blankets.
Well, I've mentioned this before, but living here in Minneapolis we have an axcellent transportation system, with buses, light rail and the like. City living with no car has definitely been on my mind lately, though not seriously yet.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Well, I've mentioned this before, but living here in Minneapolis we have an axcellent transportation system, with buses, light rail and the like. City living with no car has definitely been on my mind lately, though not seriously yet.
Well, I'm a suburban girl so I need my car. Fortunately, both my husband and I work less than a half hour from home so our gas use, while still painful on fill-up days, is still pretty minimal...and getting more minimal all the time. I decided today that something I sold on Ebay on Sunday is going to have to wait until tomorrow to mail because I don't want to make a trip out just to go to the post office when I will pass a post office on the way to work tomorrow.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I'm a suburban girl so I need my car. Fortunately, both my husband and I work less than a half hour from home so our gas use, while still painful on fill-up days, is still pretty minimal...and getting more minimal all the time. I decided today that something I sold on Ebay on Sunday is going to have to wait until tomorrow to mail because I don't want to make a trip out just to go to the post office when I will pass a post office on the way to work tomorrow.
You live near Kansas City right?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You live near Kansas City right?
Philadelphia

Old 07-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Philadelphia
I'm sorry. I dont know what gave me that idea. I mustve been thinking of Janet. My apologies. But anyway, it's something to think about for sure. Here it's 2.98 now. what is it there?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm sorry. I dont know what gave me that idea. I mustve been thinking of Janet. My apologies. But anyway, it's something to think about for sure. Here it's 2.98 now. what is it there?
No big.

Heating oil or gas? Heating oil I last checked was about $2.89/gal. Unleaded gas is over somewhere around $3.05 I think, with the higher grades, of course, being more. I'm starting to consider getting a little motorcycle and saving the car for group outings on weekends!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No big.

Heating oil or gas? Heating oil I last checked was about $2.89/gal. Unleaded gas is over somewhere around $3.05 I think, with the higher grades, of course, being more. I'm starting to consider getting a little motorcycle and saving the car for group outings on weekends!
I've taken the subway there in Philly, and as I recall, it wasnt too bad. not alot of graffiti and stuff.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it's $2.89 here too...it sucks...I'm carpooling for the first time in like 10 years (since high school) to save money
Old 07-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
it's $2.89 here too...it sucks...I'm carpooling for the first time in like 10 years (since high school) to save money
That's too bad. You are near Jackson, right?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's too bad. You are near Jackson, right?
right. Jackson doesn't really have suburbs, I live just across the Jackson line to save on taxes.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
right. Jackson doesn't really have suburbs, I live just across the Jackson line to save on taxes.
I'm guessing their public transport system isnt the best. See that's the rub here. For someone like me that lives in a major metropolitan area, I could make the choice to give up my car and I could adapt pretty easily. But for others that's not the case.