The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Say You Will is a classic Fleetwood Mac album. I never saw at as two solo projects put together. This is how these albums come together. I'm so glad it's as long as it is and that an album was recorded after Christine left. It's what the Mac was from 1999-2014. The tour was fantastic featuring so many of the new songs. It fits in very well with the rest of their catalog of music.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:38 PM
Ledgie

Default Say You Will

Say You Will is my second favorite Fleetwood Mac album as well. Tusk is my favorite but I've heard it too much. Say You Will has stood the test of time. 14 years later it sounds incredible to me still with every listen, though I first heard it in 2003 it feels fresh compared to Tusk which has aged a bit..

It is a masterpiece and worthy send-off
Old 07-07-2017, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Say You Will. It's my second favourite album after Tusk. I find it to be a very creatively interesting album, that I never tire of hearing. Maybe it doesn't have the happiest vibe of FM albums, but that doesn't mean it isn't brilliant in it's own way.

Peacekeeper played on the radio on Sunday morning, it was great to hear it. It's a long time since I've hear anything from SYW on the radio over here.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
I love Say You Will. It's my second favourite album after Tusk. I find it to be a very creatively interesting album, that I never tire of hearing. Maybe it doesn't have the happiest vibe of FM albums, but that doesn't mean it isn't brilliant in it's own way.

Peacekeeper played on the radio on Sunday morning, it was great to hear it. It's a long time since I've hear anything from SYW on the radio over here.
That's a good point about not being a happy vibe. That was where Christine really would have made this album near perfection if you could take away 5 songs and add 5 of hers.
I think its probably one of the Macs more intricate albums musically. The music is so good. The songs are top notch even with lyrics. I know this album well because I used to jog with it every night. With headphones it really made me appreciate how good the music is. There has never been a more powerhouse music album from the Mac. There is some very good songs and arrangements. There was no pressure for a pop album so the cheezy stuff was left off. What was brought was some amazing songs.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just curious - for all of you that think SYW is so great....WHY is it that the band pretends that it never happened now, and play nothing from it?

Yeah, I guess they think it's great, too.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Just curious - for all of you that think SYW is so great....WHY is it that the band pretends that it never happened now, and play nothing from it?

Exhibit A: BTLH
Exhibit B: Say Goodbye

Lindsey plays stuff from it. He also plays Come on his solo tours. He should bring back Red Rover although RAB is an offshoot of it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Peacekeeper and Red Rover (maybe more?) are also a part of the acoustic set that's played over the PA while the crew readies the stage on the BuckMcVie tour. I think I've heard these versions used prior to Fleetwood Mac concerts, too.

Obviously not the same as playing those songs on stage, but also not completely forgotten.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:

That's not a fair comparison at all. If Christine was not back in the band I am sure they would play songs from it. The album was not a huge commercial success and today the Mac sticks to only their hits with maybe two deeper cuts from the bigger successful albums. Commercial success means NOTHING when you rate an album. The most successful albums of all time are slick bubble gum pop. Some of the best albums in rock did not sell that much. I think Christine McVie (1984) and In The Meantime are awesome albums but not really commercially successful. Those reasons why Christine is not playing songs from those albums which is a shame. By your standard we get Big Love every time
Imagine someone saying Mystery to Me and Heroes are hard to find are not good albums because the band does not play any material from them.
I would love to hear Running through the Garden or Everybody finds out over Rhiannon or Gypsy ANYDAY

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-07-2017 at 02:39 PM..
Old 07-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think they perceive, rightly or wrongly that fans want to hear Rumours and Tusk tracks....
Me I'd love to hear Running thro the Garden, Say you will or Steal your Heart away.....just for a change.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Ledgie

Say You Will is an outstanding masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. It includes so many songs that I count among my all-time favorite songs by either Buckingham or Nicks.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Ledgie

Quote:

I have read some misjudged and misinformed things in my years of being a huge Fleetwood Mac fan but this is one of the top ones.

For years they played nothing from TUSK except... TUSK.

For years, Stevie refused to even play "Sara" which is one of the gold standard hits/classics/masterpieces in her entire repertoire. But it was from a tough episode in her life and a period she doesn't remember as very positive or great.

And you made this comment, HomerMcVie, with such arrogance and flippancy ... I take it you're a HUGE Stevie fan ... you do realize that Stevie completely ignores the following albums from her catalogue:

Rock a Little (an album that in recent years has been reappraised as a masterpiece or at the very least an album with moments of brilliance. It had a couple hit singles - they are GONE from her set it seems FOREVER).

The Other Side of the Mirror (an album I think is overall pretty weak but some consider it her finest and I've often heard fans call it her best set of songs since her TUSK songs. It had a couple hit singles - they are GONE from her set it seems FOREVER).

Street Angel (another album I think is overall a little weak but a lot of songs I personally love including the mild hits Blue Denim and Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind. I love Greta, Listen to the Rain, Destiny, Kick It. It had a couple of minor hit singles - they are GONE from her set it seems FOREVER).

Trouble in Shangri-La (the album I consider her absolute solo masterpiece in terms of the number of songs I adore. TISL, Sorcerer, Planets, It's Only Love, Love Changes, Bombay, Fall from Grace, Love Is. It had a couple of hit singles but more importantly has career important songs as in they are milestone songs - they are GONE from her set it seems FOREVER. Even the couple of times she brought back "Love Is" she was doing it in the arrangement of the demo from way back when.)

That's four albums that - IF you're a Stevie fan - you probably LOVE and think are great so let me ask you something ... if you've made it this far into my comment because you don't really seem like someone that has much interest in other people's views, opinions and feelings ...

WHY is it that Stevie Nicks pretends that it never happened now, and plays nothing from it?
Old 07-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dear Carnival you are obviously very new here if you never scanned any of Homers posts. I'm guessing he's getting a good laugh about your assumption that he loves SN.

Now that he's flippant and arrogant - oh yeah... but I think he's got about 5 to 10 posts to completely dispute his flippant claim.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Dear Carnival you are obviously very new here if you never scanned any of Homers posts. I'm guessing he's getting a good laugh about your assumption that he loves SN.
Thought that, because he has a Stevie photo as his avatar he was indeed a Stevie fan.

Same thing could be said about every single member of the band and their solo careers.

Christine never, ever plays ANYTHING from her 3 solo albums.
Lindsey barely plays ANYTHING from any of his solo albums except for:

1 song from Law & Order
1 song from Go Insane
NO songs from his masterpiece Out of the Cradle (sometimes All My Sorrows and Turn it On but ... next to NEVER)
1 song from UNDER THE SKIN
NOTHING from GIFT OF SCREWS
And it remains to be seen if he'll do ANYTHING from SWS his other absolute masterpiece when his next solo tour comes along.

I think HomerMcVie is probably having a good laugh knowing full well that what he said about SYW and the band ignoring it the way they "ignore" most of their own career save for RUMOURS has about as much validity as a Donald Trump tweet.

Cheers!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have that Stevie avatar... because she looks ridiculous! And if you'd see it full size, there's a piece of black crap stuck to her tongue!

You're correct, I love her!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
That's not a fair comparison at all. If Christine was not back in the band I am sure they would play songs from it. The album was not a huge commercial success and today the Mac sticks to only their hits with maybe two deeper cuts from the bigger successful albums. Commercial success means NOTHING when you rate an album. The most successful albums of all time are slick bubble gum pop. Some of the best albums in rock did not sell that much. I think Christine McVie (1984) and In The Meantime are awesome albums but not really commercially successful. Those reasons why Christine is not playing songs from those albums which is a shame. By your standard we get Big Love every time
Imagine someone saying Mystery to Me and Heroes are hard to find are not good albums because the band does not play any material from them.
I would love to hear Running through the Garden or Everybody finds out over Rhiannon or Gypsy ANYDAY
But Peacekeeper and the song SYW both got airplay! So why would they just throw them under the bus, like Bob Welch at the RRHOF?