The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, from everything I've read/heard, Fleetwood Mac had submitted a completed album entitled Another Link In The Chain and it was rejected. Mick then contacted Christine...the rest is history.

I guess I'm one of the handful of folks who DIDN'T cringe at seeing the band in 1994...I thought they were great. Granted, it was a bit weird seeing them with new folks...but, then back in 75 it was weird for the first few shows not seeing Bob Welch, too. I just figured I was going to have to get used to new people in the band again. No biggie, no comparisons...just another incarnation to learn to love.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

OK!!! I found it: she said in a 1997 Mojo article--

Also appearing on Time was one Christine McVie, who politely notes that her appearance, "was something that I had not volunteered to do; it was contractual. I don't like to harp on it much, but I thought the music was starting to get a little strange, the choices a little funny. I wasn't really enjoying that particular incarnation of the band, and I left." At that point, the former Miss Perfect's plans included moving back to England-- she's had a home in Kent for five years-- and pursuing the hobbies one would expect of a former member of Chicken Shack: "Painting, illustration, I'd like to write a book, I'd like to go to cooking school. I know it sounds utterly absurd, but I really love cooking and I take it very seriously." Plus a solo album "sometime beofre the next millenium."

-Lis
Old 05-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, in reading the quote above, I assume Christine's absence was WB's #1 reason for rejecting the Another Link In The Chain album.

In reading some of the litigation things with the Beach Boys and who had rights to use the name, the "three member rule" was brought up. So, when Mike Love, Bruce Johnston got David Marks to join back up with them, they had three "official" Beach Boys members and won their litigation against Alan Jardine for using the "Beach Boys" name...even though Alan had the traditional Beach Boys' touring session players backing him. After Mike Love won the case, David Marks left the band, so NOW, the Beach Boys only real existing members are Mike Love & Bruce Johnston...and Bruce wasn't even an original member (granted, 2 of the Wilson brothers are now gone).

So, I wonder, if WB's either told Mick & John that they'd have to at least get Christine back in the fold or else they couldn't use the name "Fleetwood Mac".
Old 05-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
OK!!! I found it: she said in a 1997 Mojo article--

Also appearing on Time was one Christine McVie, who politely notes that her appearance, "was something that I had not volunteered to do; it was contractual. I don't like to harp on it much, but I thought the music was starting to get a little strange, the choices a little funny. I wasn't really enjoying that particular incarnation of the band, and I left."
Wow, that's news to me. Thanks for digging that out Lis.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, that's news to me. Thanks for digging that out
No problem. I knew she said that, but thought I'd be looking for the article for hours. Since age 11 I've had an obsessive memory when it comes to FM quotes LOL. The problem is finding the actual source!

-Lis
Old 05-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, thanks. That's something I never knew. I just always thought she contributed those songs as a favor to Mick. Now, I know she likes to cook, but I never knew she was thinking of writing a book.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A cook book?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
A cook book?
A book about how Lindsey leaving was bull****!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
FM took the stage after REO Speedwagon, which, say whatever you want about them, had torn up the place with their energy and a fun-loving show.
As I recall, REO closed the show I saw. I'm fairly certain about this. The lineup was Pat Benatar, then FM, then REO. I remember overhearing several people around me bitching about the lineup. Then, Bekka did "Dreaming the Dream", and won me over.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'd also like to thank you, Lis, for finding Christine's quote on the subject.
That was totally news to me, too... I always thought she did it entirely out of loyalty, and as a "favor" in many ways.

Wow.
That adds even more meaning to the themes in Christine's 'Time' songs.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
As I recall, REO closed the show I saw. I'm fairly certain about this. The lineup was Pat Benatar, then FM, then REO. I remember overhearing several people around me bitching about the lineup. Then, Bekka did "Dreaming the Dream", and won me over.
REO and FM alternated on the headlining slot. This is something REO also has been doing with Styx, Foreigner, and whatever other lame band they happen to be touring with at any given time.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Also appearing on Time was one Christine McVie, who politely notes that her appearance, "was something that I had not volunteered to do; it was contractual."
Interesting, Lis. Thanks for sharing that.

So if you're contractually obligated to contribute songs but don't want to tour, that's OK. However, if you agree to bail Mick out of bankruptcy by canning your solo record, giving the songs to FM instead, and then decide that you really can't tour with this band anymore, well... that's a huge betrayal?

Help me out here, folks, because I think there's some kind of double standard going on.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the difference is that Lindsey at one point agreed to the tour and then changed his mind. Christine did what she said she would and then stopped.

However I don't think anyone should critisize Lindsey for not touring at that point - he just couldn't do it anymore. Just like Christine couldn't face any more tours and so didn't take part in SYW. Lindsey eventually came back into the fold - when the time was right. Maybe the time will be right for Christine one day (I normally wake up about this point)

They should be allowed to make decisions based on what is right for them at a point in their lives without people having a go at them.

I would prefer all five in the band recording and touring - but only if it's really what they want and they're not being forced into it.

Gail
Old 05-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

>>>>Interesting, Lis. Thanks for sharing that.>>>>

You're welcome!

>>>>So if you're contractually obligated to contribute songs but don't want to tour, that's OK. However, if you agree to bail Mick out of bankruptcy by canning your solo record, giving the songs to FM instead, and then decide that you really can't tour with this band anymore, well... that's a huge betrayal?Help me out here, folks, because I think there's some kind of double standard going on.>>>>

I'm not sure it's a double standaard as much as it was just very different circumstances. think it seemed more of a 'betrayal' because LB was the 1st to leave that magical Mick/John/Chris/Lindsey/Stevie line-up. Once Chris left, LB and Stevie were already gone....so I guess it just wasn't quite as traumatic.

-Lis
Old 05-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the main difference is their ages. Lindsey was how old in 1987? 38?
Christine is 60! That's a BIG difference in putting up with being on the road. I think Lindsey was being selfish(not that that's necessarily wrong), whereas Chris has just decided it's time to bow out gracefully. I'd give anything for her to change her mind, but I respect her decision. What if you were 60, and had 25 million in the bank. What would you do?