The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After reading some of the Stevie Nicks "unpopular opinions" thread, it makes perfect sense to me that in order to satisfy Stevie in the wake of cutting "Silver Springs" from Rumours, they agreed to give her writing credit on the song that replaced it ("I Don't Want To Know").
Old 11-10-2018, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I guess I am the dissenter here in that I love his tricky production and complexity. I like my music complex and unusual. It is artistic and creative and inspires repeated listens to catch new sounds. If only it is not his voice or his songs, sorry. He made miracles out of some of Chris and Stevie's songs. Stevie is a complete idiot not to work with him as producer. SYW was her best ever solo album by far, nine jewels of songs with intoxicating production. Unlike her often anodyne or WTF production on solo albums.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE his studio wizardry. One of the reasons I became a fan. I do wish he would not do those whisper vocals as much.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I guess I am the dissenter here in that I love his tricky production and complexity. I like my music complex and unusual. It is artistic and creative and inspires repeated listens to catch new sounds. If only it is not his voice or his songs, sorry. He made miracles out of some of Chris and Stevie's songs. Stevie is a complete idiot not to work with him as producer. SYW was her best ever solo album by far, nine jewels of songs with intoxicating production. Unlike her often anodyne or WTF production on solo albums.
agree with all of this; but there are times when he takes the wizardry too far, like it's more about showing off the wizardry rather than in service of the song.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
He played slide on the studio version of “Monday Morning.”

ETA: He also did it live early on

https://youtu.be/bj5eG19fjg0
https://youtu.be/P-_Q-in1H3g
Evidently by 1977 he had abandoned the slide on "Monday Morning" (and probably overall):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpB2knD5UNc
Old 11-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think there are too many layers of backing vocals on the Buckingham/McVie album, and not enough use of Christine's voice on Lindsey's songs. I wish that the choruses on every song on that whole album consisted of one clear Lindsey voice and one clear Christine voice singing lovely harmonies together.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I think there are too many layers of backing vocals on the Buckingham/McVie album, and not enough use of Christine's voice on Lindsey's songs. I wish that the choruses on every song on that whole album consisted of one clear Lindsey voice and one clear Christine voice singing lovely harmonies together.
YES!!! this exactly... ever since SAY YOU WILL (Or maybe even as far back as EVERYWHERE) Linds stoped making backing vocals for the Mac sound like the THREE DISTINCT vocalists, and instead went for that homogenized multiple- Lindsey-vocal sound. I dont like it. I love how on Tusk, Rumours, and Mirage you can obviously pick out who sang what. It felt organic and beautiful. Now --- esp on Bucky McVie -- you cant descern anyone in the backing vocals It's a like a wash of autotuned, effected martians.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I do wish he would not do those whisper vocals as much.
The whispering on "Say Goodbye" really stands out in a negative light when you compare it to live performances. True of many other songs as well (like "Shut Us Down"). It's like he's using his "inside voice."
Old 11-24-2018, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Unpopular Opinion?

I think the Go Insane album is awful. I can't believe he put so many songs from it on the new anthology.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
He played slide on the studio version of “Monday Morning.”

ETA: He also did it live early on

https://youtu.be/bj5eG19fjg0
https://youtu.be/P-_Q-in1H3g
Sounds like someone is playing slide on "Stephanie" from Buckingham Nicks (it's almost a pedal steel sound that comes in at the end of the song). It's either Lindsey or Waddy Wachtel, who seems to be playing slide at the end of "Lola My Love"). There's also slide at the end of the single mix of "Crying In The Night," but that again sounds like Waddy.

"Stephanie" is three instruments (acoustic guitar, keyboard, electric guitar) and sounds more like a Lindsey solo project.

Does anyone know?

Last edited by cbBen; 12-08-2018 at 05:45 PM..