User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Lindsey's Lack???

Hello all,
I have always wondered which songs/albums Stevie was referring to when she said that Lindsey made her songs beautiful when "he felt like it." Any insight would be great!
I have my own theories. One is that after Stevie's solo success, Lindsey may have held resentment, this would be Mirage era. Yet, Gypsy is considered to be one song that highlights his abilities. Another is that Stevie and Lindsey were so musically united that Stevie just knew when Lindsey had really given his all, and although he managed to render beautiful songs Stevie just knew it wasn't his best.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My opinion is that he was most upset with her during the Tusk era- based on his music, demeanor with her and then everything they've both talked about since then. And I have read reviews that say he wasn't careful with her Tusk songs- but I can't tell, I actually love her songs on Tusk most. I can see why he wouldn't have wanted to help her on Tango at all- he's repeatedly said how she was never there, he made comments indicating he was resentful she went to Australia with Petty, he had said she also made herself hard to get a hold of in general, etc. Idk, there's been resentment ever since Rumours, so it's really hard to say. I think Lindsey has pretty much admitted that the personal did bleed into the professional at times though and he has regrets about it.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Ledgie

For the most part, I don't see how his work on her songs from Rumours to Tango In The Night could have been much better given what he had to work with. I think he was more willing to work with her on Say You Will but the results don't come close to matching his work from those earlier albums.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Ledgie

If I faulted Lindsey for anything, it would be for how he produced some of his own songs (rarely including backing vocals by Stevie or Christine). Tusk would have sounded much more like a cohesive group effort if he'd taken greater advantage of the band's other singers. This applies to later albums as well.

I love Stevie's songs on Tusk and Mirage. I don't hear a dip in quality until her Tango tunes. "Seven Wonders" is fine (obviously chosen because the album needed a Stevie single, even if it had to come from an outside writer).

"Welcome to the Room, Sara" is an alright song. I can see why she might have wanted it on there because it was so personal (related to her then recent rehab experience). But she hits some bum notes that can't be blamed on anybody else.

I have wondered if choosing "When I See You Again" over the vast other options in her song catalog might have been a little sabotage.

But there's compelling evidence that Stevie was pretty much a wreck in 1986. If her caterwauling demo of "Juliet" is any indicator, I'm not sure Stevie could have benefited Tango with a greater presence at that time. As much as I sometimes wish the album had one more Stevie song.