User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
This song really has to be one of my all time favorite Mac compositions. It's just... perfect. Definitely the most sensuous and seductive song in the band's entire history.

The uber-simple 3-note electric guitar progression which was layered behind the "sha la la la sha la la la's" of the chorus. It was a complete mirrored counter melody to Christine's smokey vocal. It totally added the extra layer I felt the song was missing... and it had been there the whole time!

One of the things I think is so great about this song is it's simplicity. It's almost bare bones...

I know I've rambled a lot, but let's talk about this song... anybody else love it the way I do?
I totally agree. Brown Eyes is one of the sexiest songs ever. I love it. It certainly has its own ambience and I love all of the things you mentioned as well. All the parts - from the lyric to the music to the harmonies and background truly do come together in such a subtle, pure way. It's like standing in a rain forest of jazz fusion.

It is ... just perfect.

By the way, found this on youtube...pretty cool:
Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Brown Eyes is by far my favourite Christine song of all time. I think it's one of the few Christine songs that are "sexy", as oppose to pretty and upbeat. I love the dark and atmospheric tones of it, and I think it's probably one of the most adventurous pieces on Tusk, in a weird way.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, love Brown Eyes. It's hot. I also like Christine's vocal of it on the Tusk Tour Rehearsals. I don't think it works as well live as some of her other songs, but as someone said earlier, the Mirage live versions are very good.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually don't care for Brown Eyes. It's my second least favorite christine song on Tusk next to NEver Make Me Cry. Think About Me, Honey Hi and Over and Over are all far superior.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
Brown Eyes is by far my favourite Christine song of all time. I think it's one of the few Christine songs that are "sexy", as oppose to pretty and upbeat.
See, I think very few of Christine's songs are upbeat. Pretty yes, but with a sad, deceptive undercurrent most of the time, which makes the prettiness ironic and the sadness more painful, for me. I think this is true of SYLM, for sure, but I even hear a song like Love in Store in that fashion, because you know the love is really great, but they seem to focus on that love being taken away an awful lot!

There just seems to be a yearning and fear, behind most of the lilting melodies and I find it quite poignant. Michele
Old 12-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really love the "shalalala's" too... you NEVER hear anything like that in current day music. I love the fact that's all the chorus contains. It's so simple... and by saying absolutely nothing, it says even more than words could express. In a weird way, it kind of reminds me of old horror movies... where you never see an actual murder, or see the actual perpetrator... what your mind comes up with is SO much better, so much scarier. It's kind of the same thing for me with the chorus of Brown Eyes being the "shalalala's"... it lets your mind drift and wander into the steamy lust that is the subject matter of this song.
Well, that was exactly what I wanted to say, but couldn't in English haha (great post, by the way). The "shalalala's" are just perfect in this song, because it's a simple one, it gives a much deeper feeling. The whole arrangement is perfect, in fact.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sexiest Fleetwood Mac song ever

Gail
Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 PM

I love the way she arranges the key parts... it's pretty cool...
Old 12-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Ledgie

Hi everyone. I'm new here.

I saw this thread before my account was approved and wanted to comment on it.

I too think it's one of Christine's best on any album. It was one of the first songs I learned on the piano after Songbird.

Very ethereal and soft but sultry at the same time. The vocal and arrangement are top notch.

Merry Christmas everyone. Glad to be here.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new here.

I saw this thread before my account was approved and wanted to comment on it.

I too think it's one of Christine's best on any album. It was one of the first songs I learned on the piano after Songbird.

Very ethereal and soft but sultry at the same time. The vocal and arrangement are top notch.

Merry Christmas everyone. Glad to be here.
Welcome to the party!

And your first post is about Brown Eyes... I like you already! I definitely agree with everything you said about the song too!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Ledgie

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, a big fan of Brown Eyes. I could listen to it all day.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hands down my favorite Christine song ever. I think its not only gorgeous, but sensual and a little haunting. It's the type of track that I adore both if I'm listening to it intently or letting it kinda drift through the back of my mind.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this song by Christine McVie they did this song live on the Tango In The Night Tour in 1987.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In 1981 I was working as a waiter at Denny's on the late night shift. One night it was around 3:00am and no one was in the restaurant. I sat on top of the woodden counter and sang Brown Eyes to myself in my head but with my hand I would open and close the cabinet door below me as if it were the bass line in the song. This not only made the sound of the bass, but the drums too.

Another one of Christine's songs that I find somewhat similar is Mystified. Both songs have a very dreamy quality for me.

Last edited by vivfox; 12-24-2009 at 01:51 PM..
Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Brown Eyes" has been helping me through work this week. Were it not for "Brown Eyes" and a few other songs (one of which was "Hold Me") I would've been driven spare!
I was helping my father with his garden maintenance (his small business), and we were under great pressure from his many and varied clients to clean up their gardens before Christmas. It's amazing how much more endurable that work is when you let songs play over in your head for hours at a time (with an occasional change of song every hour or so)!
And I was quietly singing "Brown Eyes" while I was playing tennis today.
An appraisal of this track will feature prominently in my letter to Christine!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...