Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Lindsey's Heart??

Am I the only one who can see that Lindsey is still in love with Stevie? I can find nothing of late regarding their feelings for each other. I saw a fairly recent video clip where Lindsey was singing ‘Never go Back’, which he wrote about her and he paused for a minute and you could see that he was feeling her and then he got all choked up. Both Lindsey and Stevie have written dozens of songs about the love that they share. They seem like a modern day Immortal Beloved. Each of them has revealed themselves to me in their music, and I love them for that, which is why I am consumed by their love issues. I believe that Stevie keeps her feelings hidden better than Lindsey, from what videos I have seen of him singing to her or about her. I believe that Stevie has always and continues to “taunt” Lindsey with her lyrics that hit you like a slap in the face. Nearly every song that he has composed lately seems to be about her. Perhaps its Lindsey’s questionable marriage or perhaps it’s their passion for their music that continues this spectacle, but nothing would please me more than the two of them getting together.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Are you sure that the recent clip of Lindsey singing NGBA wasn't from John Stewart's memorial? If it was, I would think that he had John in mind while he was singing and got choked up.

I think that Stevie and Lindsey will always hold a special place for each other in their hearts, however, they have both moved on, years ago.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At the shows I've attended, the so-called "affection" between Stevie and Lindsey seemed very forced and done only to please the audience.

As for Lindsey's "questionable marriage," the interactions and affection shown during the documentary on Lindsey's Live At Bass Performance Hall DVD seem far more genuine than any recent thing I've seen of Lindsey and Stevie.

All in your perceptions, I guess.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori40 View Post
Are you sure that the recent clip of Lindsey singing NGBA wasn't from John Stewart's memorial? If it was, I would think that he had John in mind while he was singing and got choked up.
Why would Lindsey be singing NGBA at John Stewart's memorial? I thought he just did John's songs...
Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Why would Lindsey be singing NGBA at John Stewart's memorial? I thought he just did John's songs...
He mentioned it a bit at the concert. NGBA is a good example of Lindsey's modified Travis-style fingerpicking, which he picked up largely from old Kingston Trio albums -- listening to John Stewart play!

John Stewart was a big fan of the white FM album, & used to tell Nick Reynolds that he -- Stewart -- swore that Lindsey was playing banjo style with his electric guitar on that album.

Each one influenced the playing style of the other, to an extent -- but they didn't know about the mutual influence until some time later when they actually met.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
He mentioned it a bit at the concert. NGBA is a good example of Lindsey's modified Travis-style fingerpicking, which he picked up largely from old Kingston Trio albums -- listening to John Stewart play!

John Stewart was a big fan of the white FM album, & used to tell Nick Reynolds that he -- Stewart -- swore that Lindsey was playing banjo style with his electric guitar on that album.

Each one influenced the playing style of the other, to an extent -- but they didn't know about the mutual influence until some time later when they actually met.
Oh, ok. Yeah, I knew Lindsey and John were co-influencers. I just didn't think Lindsey sang NGBA at the funeral/memorial. Thanks for the info about the White album - interesting take on the finger picking style. I'll have to re-listen with that in mind.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Oh, ok. Yeah, I knew Lindsey and John were co-influencers. I just didn't think Lindsey sang NGBA at the funeral/memorial. Thanks for the info about the White album - interesting take on the finger picking style. I'll have to re-listen with that in mind.
Dreaming, did you ever see the Kingston Trio Reunion 1981 on video? John tells the story there before playing YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO KANSAS (on his Turner Model 1).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_Image View Post
Am I the only one who can see that Lindsey is still in love with Stevie? I can find nothing of late regarding their feelings for each other. I saw a fairly recent video clip where Lindsey was singing ‘Never go Back’, which he wrote about her and he paused for a minute and you could see that he was feeling her and then he got all choked up. Both Lindsey and Stevie have written dozens of songs about the love that they share. They seem like a modern day Immortal Beloved. Each of them has revealed themselves to me in their music, and I love them for that, which is why I am consumed by their love issues. I believe that Stevie keeps her feelings hidden better than Lindsey, from what videos I have seen of him singing to her or about her. I believe that Stevie has always and continues to “taunt” Lindsey with her lyrics that hit you like a slap in the face. Nearly every song that he has composed lately seems to be about her. Perhaps its Lindsey’s questionable marriage or perhaps it’s their passion for their music that continues this spectacle, but nothing would please me more than the two of them getting together.
I think they will always love and care for one another. I don't think Lindsey is "in love" with her anymore.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Senior Ledgie

Joe Walsh is the love of Stevie's life not Lindsey, and Kristen for obvious reasons is the love of Lindsey's life not Stevie. I think that answers the question about Lindsey's heart.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Dreaming, did you ever see the Kingston Trio Reunion 1981 on video? John tells the story there before playing YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO KANSAS (on his Turner Model 1).
No, I haven't seen that. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njova View Post
Joe Walsh is the love of Stevie's life not Lindsey, and Kristen for obvious reasons is the love of Lindsey's life not Stevie. I think that answers the question about Lindsey's heart.
LOL. That is so funny...
Old 06-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Exibit A

What about this song writen by Lindsey in 2005..

Oh you and I, we sure can dream
Of conversations that might have been
I know that I treat you unkind
And long ago I lost my mind
And even after all these years
Though I can't even see you clear
I know it's you
Must lie sometimes
To hide the truth
You're trying to find
Oh I shut us down
No I will stay around
As long as I can
As long as I can

Even after all these years
I can't even see you clear
A child is born
Another dies
And every life has its price
No I shut us down
No I will stay around
As long as I can
As long as I can

This is for sure written to Stevie, saying that he wont shut down thier relationship, and he is still waiting.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He also wrote SYH and IWY which are very much about the happiness he has found with his wife and family.

I think that if he hasn't moved on by this stage in his life when he has a family and loving wife (how is it a "questionable marriage"?) then that's pretty pathetic. He's had plenty of other relationships in his life and loads and loads of time away from Stevie so I don't want to think that he isn't capable of growth in over 30 years.

Besides, he wrote an entire album for Carol Ann Harris and people don't go on and on about it. I'd say that many of his TITN songs were also about the ending of that relationship - 'Caroline' certainly wasn't very disguised in who it was about.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn't he say on some documentary that NGBA was about another girlfriend he met, after he and Stevie broke up?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie View Post
Didn't he say on some documentary that NGBA was about another girlfriend he met, after he and Stevie broke up?
This is what he said:

Quote:
I remember writing that when we got off the road. It was written about a girl that I had met in New England and spent a very short amount of time with. Someone who really, initially, didn’t want to spend time with me, and I talked her into it. And of course, “been down one time, been down two times, never going back again,” is really a sweet sentiment. It’s a naïve sentiment. Because every time you are happy, you create this illusion for yourself that you’re never gonna be unhappy again. Life doesn’t really work that way, and you have to learn to accept that you’ll have ups and downs your entire life. So that was really the sentiment of the song for me.
Stevie thought the song was for her though and said it was the sweetest thing he'd ever written for her because although he says he's never going back at the end he says, "come down and see me again". So, she thought that meant, he really wanted to come back. Of course, she could read the "lay me down in the tall grass" the same way if she wanted to, but I've never really heard her say anything about Second Hand News.Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 06-07-2008 at 09:09 PM..
Old 06-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
This is what he said:

Stevie thought the song was for her though and said it was the sweetest thing he'd ever written for her because although he says he's never going back at the end he says, "come down and see me again". So, she thought that meant, he really wanted to come back. Of course, she could read the "lay me down in the tall grass" the same way if she wanted to, but I've never really heard her say anything about Second Hand News.Michele
Lindsey also said in the Rockline interview that NGBA is a song that has "changed meanings" over the years and it means something different to him now than it did when he wrote it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie View Post
I've heard people refer to this girl (who was more than likely a groupie, a one nighter) as "Wendy Sails" because of LB's quote from the Making of Rumours dvd where he said she had "put the wind back in his sails" so to speak. LOL

Last edited by CADreaming; 06-07-2008 at 09:39 PM..