Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Copycat

Not to be out done on his latest tour, Bruce Springsteen uses Lindsey's old chestnut and lets the crowd join in.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
Not to be out done on his latest tour, Bruce Springsteen uses Lindsey's old chestnut and lets the crowd join in.

I have never been to a Springsteen concert, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time he's done it. The next time Lindsey tours, if some writer says that he is mimicking Springsteen when he lets the audience play his guitar, I will SCREAM.

Michele
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Get real, people. Springsteen's been doing that schtick since before Buckingham ever released an album; much less before Buckingham ever THOUGHT of relating to somebody besides himself...like...an audience?!? What a novel concept, Lindsey!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Get real, people. Springsteen's been doing that schtick since before Buckingham ever released an album; much less before Buckingham ever THOUGHT of relating to somebody besides himself...like...an audience?!? What a novel concept, Lindsey!
Well, if Lindsey has a girl (who looks like Courtney Cox) jump up on the stage and start dancing with him, then I'll believe you. Not until.

Of course, Lindsey was relating to audiences since way back on the BN boots.

Michele
Old 05-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

i dont know guys, i saw bruce about ten years ago on his e-united tour and he did that very same thing. and if you look at one of the five album sleeves on his Live 75-85 set, youll see another picture just like it. looks like two equally powerful artists had that same idea!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, if Lindsey has a girl (who looks like Courtney Cox) jump up on the stage and start dancing with him, then I'll believe you. Not until.

Of course, Lindsey was relating to audiences since way back on the BN boots.

Michele
Talking to an audience and relating to an audience are not even close to being synonymous.

And, don't give me this "equally powerful" crap. Springsteen is so far beyond Buckingham in "powerful artist"...UGH! I'm so pissed I can't finish the sentence.

Last edited by chiliD; 05-22-2008 at 02:01 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why can't they be equally powerful? Springsteen does nothing for me so I don't find him at all powerful. I don't dislike his music but I don't see him as a "powerful" artist at all. Popular and worthy of respect, certainly. How are we defining "power" when it comes to artistry because surely it will be a completely subjective definition? Is it how much emotion they create in their audience or how much they project when performing? Is it how much clout they have in the music business? Or maybe it's one of a million different things but I just don't see why you think it's such an outrageous statement because it's hardly to be unexpected in the Lindsey Buckingham fan section of a FM board.

[If I'm coming across as pissy here then blame Physics, nothing personal.]
Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Talking to an audience and relating to an audience are not even close to being synonymous.

And, don't give me this "equally powerful" crap. Springsteen is so far beyond Buckingham in "powerful artist"...UGH! I'm so pissed I can't finish the sentence.
I'd say talking to an audience in a way that makes them feel you're surprised and grateful that they came and pleased and eager to be sharing the music with them is relating to them. Now, I never saw BN perform, but that's the vibe I get from the boots.

As far as Springsteen and Buckingham not being equally powerful, we agree completely. I think one is definitely more powerful than the other.

Michele
Old 05-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

don't be mad chilid...this is too cute not to post again...

do we have video of BS providing chestnuts..it is hard to tell how they are relating from the still provided...for me anyway.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post

Yeah Springsteen has done this for years. He also also taken popular album tracks and played them solo and acoustically in concert for years and years.

Lindsey in my view is a better musician - far more creative and innovative but live and on stage - there isn't anybody who can come close to Springsteen imo.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well im going to see him in the RDS on Sunday Night In Dublin and I cant wait. The gates open at 5 and the show is at 7.30 so im gonna make sure im right up at the front. As far as i know he is staying in the four seasons so i will be landing over for the after party hopefully.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Best of luck Madness, I have some buddies going to the gig and they're really looking forward to it! Let us know how you get on.

By the way, how do you guys find out where the bands are staying...?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Powerful" can mean different things for different people. I believe that a musician's power, whether that be their songwriting, singing, stage performances, or charisma, is only as deep as it resonates to you, the listener. So in that sense, just because Lindsey Buckingham isn't on the scale of Bruce in terms or popularity, prolificness, lyrical ingenuity, he still has a great deal to measure up to Bruce with in other ways, and saying "equally powerful" may sound ridiculous but actually makes sense to me.

That being said, Bruce is a BRILLIANT live performer for sure. I love his music and think he seems like a very grounded, humble man. I really don't want to compare either, but I certainly feel like defending Lindsey in this case- he's far too underrated and "unknown" for his own good sometimes.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 05-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I prefer Lindsey to Springsteen but when it comes to relating to audiences, Bruce has that sussed in a way I've never seen Lindsey manage. If Lindsey was so tune with his audience then I don't undserstand his reliance on rehearsed speeches, which I thought was something he only started on the Dance tour until I started to listen to bootlegs and discovered it went back to the '70s.
I've been to hundreds of gigs in my life and seen some truly incredible bands and performers and I have to say, Springsteen is in a league of his own. He really is. Every show is unique, passionate and rousing for the audience. Honestly, I love Lindsey to bits, he'll always be my favourite, but the way Springsteen can build excitement in an audience is miles ahead of Lindsey.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Springsteen Concert was Very Good, Totally packed out for the third and final night in Dublin. Bruce Played for 3 Hours and played a few of the oldies too which was good. He was staying in the Merrion Hotel by the way and not the Four Seasons.

In my eyes Lindsey is way better, no question. He's much more talented and gifted. Springsteen had up to ten people at a time on the stage to get through the songs.

I enjoyed the show I'd give it 7.5/10, there could have been more crowd interaction and it definately didnt need to be 3 hours long.

And yes he let the crowd play his guitar, yes he pulled some kid up onto the stage and yes he rambled on about how America is not what it used to be.

Neither is Ireland, Mind you 1 Euro and 45 cents per liter of Deisel today. Double that of last year. Thats about $9 a litre..ish, sorry im moaning but its about 70 mile down to dublin and you cann feel the pinch these days.

Last edited by Madness Fades; 05-26-2008 at 11:11 AM..