Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Junior Ledgie

Question Question from someone new...!

Hi everyone, I've been checking out this board for a few months now but have never gotten around to posting anything (possibly slightly overawed by the levels of FM/LB knowledge everyone seems to have!! ). I've been a fan of the band for years now but I've only very recently discovered the genius of Lindsey's solo work...

Unfortunately Ive only managed to come across "Law And Order" and "Out of The Cradle", both quite brilliant of course!... "Go Insane" is out of print over here and I'm desperate to get hold of it. Aside from that I'm also intrigued by the fact that most people on here seem to have heard the tracks from what was to become "Gift Of Screws", alternate versions of songs like "Peacekeeper" and "Say Goodbye" as well as completely unreleased stuff like "Down On Rodeo"....

The question is, how do I get my hands on this stuff! I'm incredibly excited at the prospect of hearing this material but I have no idea where to begin looking! Any help would be greatly appreciated... In the meantime I will remain green with envy as you lot discuss your top 20 Lindsey songs, of which I havent heard about a quarter on average!!

Thanks folks and I hope to be contributing a lot more to this board! It really seems to be a great community you have going on...

BRIAN
Old 05-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Brian,

You can order "Go Insane" on Amazon.com. You can find most of the rarities you mentioned by trading (most folks are happy to copy things in return for a couple blank discs if you don't have items to trade), file-sharing programs, and through many of the websites that post .mp3 downloads. A lot of the sites will honor requests for specific stuff. David at www.throwndown.net does a great job keeping track of what everyone is posting.

If you have an e-mail account that can handle large files, I'd be glad to send you a couple tracks if there are any you'd particularly like to hear.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Junior Ledgie

Hi Tiff,
Thanks a million for the reply ... I'm currently at College in Scotland and unfortunately I can't use any of the file swop systems or get access to download sites... The IT department does a wonderful job of keeping anything "dodgy" off the system...!
I'm finished here in a few weeks time and hopefully I'll be getting hooked up to high speed internet access when i move home to Ireland... But in the meantime I'd be absolutely thrilled if you could send me one or two tracks... I'd leave the choice up to you! The address is b . t . hagan @ dundee . ac . uk (leaving out the spaces of course!)
As for ordering from Amazon - as a student I cut up my credit cards long ago! they were getting me into way too much trouble!! But hopefully now that I'll be joining the real world I'll be able to get "Go insane"... Can't wait!!

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to hearing from you! All the best...

BRIAN :-)
Old 05-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Hello there!

Welcome to the Ledge, Brian! Isn't Lindsey amazing? Don't worry, just stick around here and you'll learn EVERYTHING you need to know about Lindsey/FM and stuff you probably wish you didn't know.

Thrown Down is a terrific site to get rare stuff, demos, outtakes, etc.

Can I ask ya, what is your fave Lindsey song that you've heard so far?
Old 05-06-2004, 06:26 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH
The question is, how do I get my hands on this stuff!
Brian, my man, download the iTunes software and you will be able to buy Go Insane that way. It will cost you 10 bucks US.

As for Gift of Screws, if someone hasn't already hooked you up with a link to the songs, I'll try to find it for you.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Junior Ledgie

Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome...! Looking into all of those options right now, although I fear "Go Insane" will have to wait for a few more weeks...!

As for a favourite wondergirl, well thats a tough one..! With Fleetwood Mac I guess my current favourite is Red Rover, with Say Goodbye a close second - something about the sound that both these songs have, that wierd layered effect with the guitars and vocals as well as the burbling syncopated rhythms, just gets me every time!

Solo stuff... i love just about all of "Law and Order", "Shadow of the West", "Ill Tell You Now" and "Bwana" being standouts. I fully agree with the view thet OOTC is prety much flawless... I really love "Don't Look Down", "This is the Time", "Soul Drifter", "Countdown", "All My Sorrows"... Thats a lot eh...!

But Ive just remembered, if I was forced to choose just one Lindsey Song I'd have to say "I know I'm Not Wrong"!! It never fails to lift my spirits... I'm also one of the seemingly few to love "Not That Funny" but then my musical taste can be a bit off the wall at times anyway...

Just on another subject entirely, Ive been listening to a lot of Jim White lately... His latest album "Drill A Hole In That Substrate And Tell Me What You See" (what a title!!) is fantastic... The thing is there are times when his singing style reminds me a lot of Lindsey - in fact on one track "Alabama Chrome" you would almost swear it was Lindsey on backing vocals... Obviously it isn't but its an interesting phenomenon all the same!! I get echoes of Lindsey when I listen to Calexico sometimes as well...!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:43 AM

Jim White, eh? I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the recommend.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Oh Brian

Quote:
As for a favourite wondergirl, well thats a tough one..! With Fleetwood Mac I guess my current favourite is Red Rover
You and I will get along FINE!! LOL Red Rover is my fave Say You Will song and my second favorite song of ALL TIME...after the incomprable I'm So Afraid from The Dance.

Quote:
But Ive just remembered, if I was forced to choose just one Lindsey Song I'd have to say "I know I'm Not Wrong"!!It never fails to lift my spirits... I'm also one of the seemingly few to love "Not That Funny" but then my musical taste can be a bit off the wall at times anyway...

Then, Gerald (shackin'up) will ADORE you!! Those are his fave songs too!! He yelled "I Know I'm Not Wrong" at Lindsey in England last year!!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 05-06-2004 at 11:48 AM..
Old 05-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Brian, welcome! Always a pleasure to stumble on someone with great taste! And, you gefinately have. Any IKINW/NTF-lover I consider my friend

I'll be checkin'out that "white" guy soon!

And...I'll send you shuffle riff....from GOS.

gerald

Old 05-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Junior Ledgie

Hello again guys! I just managed to check my mail in college there today. I've been insanely busy trying to get my final exhibition together - I'm studying architecture and had loads of models to build and presentation boards to do! Good news is I got marked today and it seemed to go really well!!
Anyway, when that was all over I drifted down to the computers, logged into my e-mail and what a pleasant surprise I got!! Shuffle Riff from Gerald which I am LOVING!! Its got a great bluesy verse with one of those choruses that just blows your mind when it kicks in, those inimitable layered vocals coupled with the jangly acoustic sound really does it for me!
But on top of that Tiff has exceeded all my hopes by sending me five (five!!) tracks... Someones Gotta Change is pretty interesting, very raw and ghostly sounding, Deep Dense is pretty mad! Again really raw sounding with choppy riffs at the front of the mix... and a great skirling almost mexican sounding guitar part! Its very hard to describe really!! Then theres Time Bomb Town (alt.) which I love! Its very stripped back... almost reminds me of Law & Order era stuff... and with great OTT vocals thar are lile a crazy cross between Elvis Presley and Davd Byrne!! The solo version of Peacemaker sounds good... I had no idea that the "Say You Will" stuff was so note for note alike with Lindsey's solo versions. In this case it seems to have been bumped up a couple of keys. I really love the FM version but theres definitely something special in Lindsey's version... his vocals are great. That only leaves Down On Rodeo... What can I say. Its one of the most gorgeous songs I have ever heard. It just goes straight to your heart, especially the "You were long gone..." chorus sections. I love the sheer simplicity of the arrangement, leaving the power in the vocals...
So thank you gerald and Thank you Tiff...! You have made my day, almost moreso than having gotten my work finished!! I'd be interested though if someone could fill me in on whether all the tracks I mentioned were part of the GOS sessions or if they are from different eras.... I'd also be interested if anyone has any other recommendations of stuff to seek out...!
Oh and Gerald, I downloaded IKINW from Madison the other night...! I love it!! The vocals on the accordian part are excellent and the full on band sound really does the song justice... Ah its great to come across people with such impeccable taste!! ;-)
Old 05-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

glad you loved it!

twist of fate is coming up!

enjoy!

gerald

.....and the titletrack. Could have been two KILLER singles. Maybe they will.....

Last edited by shackin'up; 05-12-2004 at 06:05 PM..
Old 05-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Welcome to the Ledge...

Brian (Great name by the way...lol!!), this place will rub off on ya sooner than ya expect

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 05-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Yep, you belong here.

Quote:
Ah its great to come across people with such impeccable taste!! ;-)
Hehe. We know.

I'm so glad you got those tracks from Gerald and Tiff!!!! I would send you some rarities, but I don't have them on my computer, I burned them on CD.

There are lots of sites which change out rare songs quite frequently. Here are some:

This one is Ledgie nodmod's (Neil) site, TERRIFIC site!!! Check it out!! He has audio AND video on his site!!

www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com

Here is Tracy's cool site which has audio and sometimes video!

www.burnish.net

Nancy's site is awesome, she also has audio and video!

www.buckinghamnicks.net

Les' site is a Lindsey site and it RULES!

www.madnessfades.net

The three birds of Rhiannon site has a 1982 FM concert for download right now!!

http://www.geocities.com/the3birdsofrhiannon/

You want rare stuff? Try THIS site!

http://home.comcast.net/~streetofdreams/Index.html

Another great download site!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6ppet/id10.html

Daniel's site is terrific!! You can download the Peacekeeper Tin Tin mix and other stuff there.

http://stevie-nicks.info/

I'm sure I missed some great ones.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:42 PM
wondergirl9847
This message has been deleted by wondergirl9847.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Junior Ledgie

Hey Christy,
Thanks a million for getting all those links together... Managed to get myself some great stuff there, including a couple of live performances of Lindseys... Also came across the Lindsey solo version of Say Goodbye... Now I love this song on SYW although it took me a little while to get used to it... However hearing Lindsey singing it on his own is a bit of a revelation... The song sounds so much more tender, the vocals are less clipped and processed and they seem to go much better with the bubbling music... Very nice! Got some more stuff - Pre Impeachment Blues has some nice guitar work but not much else! great title though..!
Dancin Cross The USA is nice, a really strange crooning style of singing from Lindsey on the verses coupled with a chorus that seems to have stolen backing vocals from an '80s Frank Zappa record!!
Down Endless Street isn't bad though it sounds a bit repetitive after a while. Its a pretty straight ahead tune with a nice vocal turn on the verses. Just wondering where this particular out-take came from. I tend to find it pretty tough to discern what era some of these demos come from!
Holiday Road is such a ridiculously simple tune but boy is it infectious! I found myself singing along on my first listen!! it's also got some nice guitar work buzzing along in the background giving it a little bit more of an edge... Again no clue as to what vintage this track is! Can anyone help me out?
I also got a couple more tracks from Gerald (many thanks my man!!). Gift Of Screws hasn't realy grabbed me yet to be honest. it's a fairly pounding rocker with some pretty odd lyrics (and grunts and groans towards the end!!). I'd say it'll grow on me though! Twist Of Fate however connected with me instantly - an absolute classic Buckingham track that sounds as good if not better than any of his upbeat songs on SYW. I just love the chorus - so punchy and great backing vocals (Stevie would slot in nicely here I feel!!). Overall though the whole sound is great, perfect rhythm from Mick and John, wonderful guitar polytechnics by Lindsey... Hit single written all over it!!
So as you can probably tell I'm quickly catching up with my Lindsey demo/outtake knowledge! One other track I got was the single version of Thrown Down. Does anyone else feel that they managed to strip out just about everything that was good about that song, especially by slowing the vocals down a bit and taking all the rhythmic punch out of it. Instead it sounds really bloated and overproduced with so many guitar parts going on that it just sounds like a soft-rock mess...! they even dropped the best verse - the "Shaking your faith in me now..." part!! One good thing about it tho is that Lindsey's backing vocals are far more prominent!! What were they thinking by releasing this instead of the album version....!???
Old 05-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Brian...

Here ya go, you can learn all about the GOS and other rare songs at this link:

http://www.geocities.com/the3birdsof...es/lbdemo.html

Down Endless Street is a Tango era song.