Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-19-2003, 06:51 PM
Ledgie

Default I got the blues

Let me take a moment.....if I may, to post this.
I am a huge fan of FM and blues music. I even have a couple of "Blues Brothers" cds in the truck. The FM albums from the early years have some of the bluesiest riffs I have ever heard.
I wonder if after Lindsey gets through his "metal" phase he'll get back to the roots of what made the band to begin with.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Well, that would be nice and I don't mean this against LB in any way but as blues is generally a more improvisational kind of music, I just don't think that interests him and/or am not sure if the kind of mentality that goes along with blues would sit well with him since he seems to like things to be planned out and though his solos in "I'm so afraid" and the like do sound GREAT ...I mean, he "could" do it but I don't know if he would enjoy just getting up on stage unplanned and "jamming" in any real sense of the word so to speak, but that's JMHO and I could very well be wrong in my assumption on how he would "deal" with this.

Here's hoping the Mac do record a back to the roots album though, Stevie would sound great belting out some delta howlers.

John
Old 06-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I read an interview with Lindsey quite some time ago where he'd said something to the effect, "...the blues bores me".

I think that one quote really changed my view of Lindsey. Up until then, I'd pretty much liked his guitar playing, but since reading that, he's definitely dropped like a runaway elevator on my "favorite guitarists" list.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The blues are at the roots of Peter and Mick and John, but folk is at the roots of Lindsey's guitar work. Waiting for him to return to roots that were never his could make for a mighty long wait.

Guitar World
September 1997

GW: Was that whole blues guitar idiom that Fleetwood Mac came out of an important part of your development as a guitarist?

BUCKINGHAM: Not at all, really. Which was one of the reasons why, at first, I wasn't sure if I was going to fit in. I was more interested in songs. A 12-bar gets boring for me after the first couple of choruses. I can appreciate that there's a lot going on within that structure, but that wasn't my thing. I grew up listening to Elvis and the way Scotty Moore played, who used a pick but also used his fingers. Then I got into a lot of folk things after that and picked up the bluegrass banjo. So there's a finger style that runs through all of what I've done.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I read an interview with Lindsey quite some time ago where he'd said something to the effect, "...the blues bores me".

I think that one quote really changed my view of Lindsey. Up until then, I'd pretty much liked his guitar playing, but since reading that, he's definitely dropped like a runaway elevator on my "favorite guitarists" list.
Well,ChilliD, you amaze me!
Isn't "Being a favorite guitarplayer" all about playing guitar in stead of lying about what musicstyle has your preference?

Old 06-22-2003, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"lying"? WTF do you mean by that?

While I can appreciate many styles of musicianship and their varied genres of musical backgrounds, I'll admit (and have often) that I'm a snob when it comes to musicians who don't have RESPECT for "the Blues".

It is one thing to not have "the Blues" as a formative musical background, but then it's something totally different to not respect the very genre of music that was the precursor to the genres of music that WERE. Both "Rock & Roll" and "Folk" (as in late '50's/early 60's style of "Folk" which was an amalgamation of "Bluegrass" & "The Blues") are direct descendants of "BLUES".
Old 06-23-2003, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll have to admit, Chili, at first glance, your initial remark seems to say that you decided to stop liking his playing, which you'd previously enjoyed, because and only because he said he wasn't into the blues in the same way that you are. If that's really what you meant, then so be it.

I suspect gerald was saying that LB could have "lied" and said the blues were his main thing and he loved it knowing that that would give him a certain amount of instant cred with some guitarists. But it isn't, so he didn't. It's just not his true love playing-style-wise.

Last edited by Les; 06-23-2003 at 04:45 PM..
Old 06-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn't say I STOPPED liking his playing, just don't consider him one of my FAVORITES anymore.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hehe, alrighty then. Snob on, my friend.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a tough job but SOMEBODY has to do it!
Old 06-30-2003, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

so fickle a chilD (chiliD) lol
Old 07-16-2003, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It has been a while, but Les said it all. That's the way I meant it. And Chili, I like snobs, especially when they are Green-fans. .

I'm just a Both-lover, because they are so different. And lindsey's folkstyle delivered some very original rockriffs. A bluesman couldn't have done that this way. period. He's the best. Oh. Did I mention I'm a snob, too when it comes to LB????

gerald