Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-19-2002, 02:11 PM

Quote:
[i]BTW, is Spanish guitar a kind of guitar or just a style of playing? [/B]
A Spanish or classical guitar has nylon strings. A folk guitar is bigger and has steel strings. These steel-string guitars are by far more popular with rock, country and folk artists. "Spanish guitar" also refers to a style of playing, which derives from Flamenco, which itself has some Arabic influence. Compare the drama and movement of a Flamenco dancer with a belly dancer. You might notice some similarities. The Middle Eastern and North African influence is also detectable in traditional Portuguese music, called Fado, and in some Italian folk, particularly from the Mediterranean islands.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh thanks, Carne, for that clarification.
You guys are just veritable founts of information!
Old 11-19-2002, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love this song too, especially the guitar solos. But I'm telling you he spits on his chin in the video and tries to slurp it up all sexy-like (Sulamith and I have spoken about this before) and that combined with all the posing makes this video hysterical to me!

C'mon, am I the only one who sees the spit???

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 11-19-2002, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default O/T

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

A Spanish or classical guitar has nylon strings. A folk guitar is bigger and has steel strings. These steel-string guitars are by far more popular with rock, country and folk artists. "Spanish guitar" also refers to a style of playing, which derives from Flamenco, which itself has some Arabic influence. Compare the drama and movement of a Flamenco dancer with a belly dancer. You might notice some similarities. The Middle Eastern and North African influence is also detectable in traditional Portuguese music, called Fado, and in some Italian folk, particularly from the Mediterranean islands.
Speaking of which, I've been playing a lot of Paco De Lucia recently (or rather, I'm giving it my best shot!), I do believe that he is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. I very stupidly missed his performance in London last year, but I hope he plays again soon...I won't miss him again.

When you listen to him play, it kinda puts the abilities of some of these famous electric guitarists into perspective....his tone and fluidity are out of this world...

Old 11-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey sugar, I really tried seeing it, but my copy is sooooooo grainy. I believe you, but I really can't tell.
I used to catch this vid pretty regular on VH1 classic, but wouldn't cha know.....now that I am looking for it, it has gone MIA!

seteca - this Paco de Lucia....are you saying his playing puts electric rock guys to shame? Or are you saying it makes you understand their abilites, or what?
I kinda miss the point there, so Lucy, you got some 'xplainin' to do! lol!!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulamith
.....seteca - this Paco de Lucia....are you saying his playing puts electric rock guys to shame? Or are you saying it makes you understand their abilites, or what?
I kinda miss the point there, so Lucy, you got some 'xplainin' to do! lol!!.....
"this Paco de Lucia"....hahaha!!

Sorry, it's just that he's arguably the best guitarist in the world so it's funny reading that..!

What I meant was...in terms of technical ability, fluidity and definition across the fretboard (I like to group these two into "confidence"), his playing is (IMHO and the HO's of a few hundred million other people) unmatched by any of the famous primarily-electric guitarists.

If you can, have a listen to his version of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez...it is quite incredible.

The man who has been selling and taking care of my classical guitars since 1987 is one of his best friends and ex-co-performers....so I might be slightly biased anyway...

p.s. who on earth is "Lucy"...??!?...........lol!

Last edited by seteca; 11-19-2002 at 07:18 PM..
Old 11-19-2002, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, sorry I am such a novice, (and it shows, haha!!) but I am really getting an education!
I really am going to check out the music of the people you guys talk about. I wrote it down. I need to broaden my horizions.

The Lucy reference is just something me and my friends say that takes off on the old "I Love Lucy" show, where Ricky would say, "Luuuuucy, you got some 'xplainin' (explaining) to do!" in his heavy Cuban accent. We always say it when we want more info. Sorry if it was confusing!
Anybody else do that?
Old 11-19-2002, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: O/T

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
Speaking of which, I've been playing a lot of Paco De Lucia recently ... his tone and fluidity are out of this world.
I've been building my collection of Christopher Parkening recordings lately. Right now I'm mesmerized by his tribute to Segovia album. Parkening learned a great deal about tone & phrasing & attack from Segovia, his teacher, in playing the Spanish classics; but Parkening's own musicality & taste are evident, too, in his adaptations of Bach.

One of the greatest nights of music I ever saw was Carlos Montoya at the Ambassador Auditorium in Pasadena more than twenty years ago.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: O/T

Quote:
Originally posted by David
....One of the greatest nights of music I ever saw was Carlos Montoya at the Ambassador Auditorium in Pasadena more than twenty years ago...
I have no doubt that it was indeed. Unfortunately he was around "before my time" so I never even had the opportunity to see him live, but I know a couple of people who saw him live (in the early 60's) and they say that they have never seen anything like it since - they think that he was even more skilled than Paco. All I have is recordings of the two, and to be honest, they both completely amaze me.