Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2002, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Questions to ponder...

...now that on the surface, there seems to be no animosity among it's members...

1) DO the members of Fleetwood Mac NEED a solo career anymore? Why?

2) Do you think the band wasted time that they can't get back due to their solo careers?

3) Are the "sum of the parts" better?

4) Which, if any, ex-members would you NOT be just horrendously offended by if they rejoined the band? (not counting Christine)
Old 08-12-2002, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Questions to ponder...

**Yes. Because there is still a matter of writers having too much to say and too many songs to fit on a joint album.

2) Do you think the band wasted time that they can't get back due to their solo careers?
**At times.

**Definitely. I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan first and foremost. Solo work fan second.

4) Which, if any, ex-members would you NOT be just horrendously offended by if they rejoined the band? (not counting Christine)
**CHRISTINE!!! Oh wait, we're not counting her. Um, there are far too many guitarists to pick from!! LMAO!! But, hmm......Rick Vito--he can really play. Billy is nice to look at, but I think he's a little bit more too country and not a lotta bit rock & roll. No need for Bekka at all!!! I don't know, I really can't see any of the older members jiving with this band anymore like they once did......other than maybe Bob Welch.

Stephanie

He fell for her again...she watched it happen...every day...day by day...but MORE important...NIGHT BY NIGHT!!--Thrown Down
Old 08-12-2002, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

1) Maybe from their own perspective they still want solo careers. But as far as I'm concerned, the solo careers should have been dumped a long time ago in an attempt to pump some life back into the band. One of the stupidest things the band ever did was to drift off into solo projects yet again after the reunion.

2) Yes, a lot of time -- years -- was wasted. But again, maybe from their own point of view, they preferred to separate for vast amounts of time.

3) The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, which is the case (though not so obvious) with the Beatles, too.

4) The only former member I'd want back in the group now is Danny Kirwan. The idea of all those various & sundry neuroses all mixing together on one stage just seems tantalizing to me. Tickets will cost hundreds of dollars from the brokers, so I feel that the bizarre, twisted "spontaneity" that would occur if you threw Kirwan back onstage with Fleetwood & McVie & added Buckingham & Nicks would give us all a bigger bang for our buck, as it were.

At this point, I'm gung-ho for Fleetwood Mac as shock theater.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:22 AM
Junior Ledgie

1) Stevie needs a solo career. She's got so many demos now, and she's constantly writing more songs. There are way more than can be put on Mac albums, and many don't really fit the FM sound stylistically. I assume you're just talking about current members, but clearly Peter Green's career has also found success. Lindsey, on the other hand, I'm not so sure. We know much less about Lindsey, since he doesn't release information as much, but I'm assuming he's got far fewer demos. Furthermore, since he's the producer for FM, his sound would be right on with that of the band, and his songs would have the extra punch of Mick, John, and Stevie. GOS seems like a personal project; he should release it if he can, but after that, at the rate he is working now, he can't possibly support both the band and a solo career.

2) Obviously they can't get back the time lost, but the word "wasted" is a bit harsh. Bella Donna and Go Insane were probably necessary releases on tension for each of them, but beyond that, their solo work often has the feeling that each was trying to one-up the other in some silly rivalry. More attention could have been paid to the band. But what's done is done, I guess.

3) Yes. A lot of people here have been complaining about the quantity of material put out by the band. I'm okay with low quantity so long as the quality is there. And with the band, it is.

4) Christine (sorry, couldn't help myself). Rick would be okay, but I don't think they need another guitarist. Bob Welch would also be a welcome return. If Stevie were to ever leave the band, then perhaps Peter Green could rejoin and they would return to more of an experimental blues band. I just couldn't imagine Stevie and Peter in the same band, though.

***myndpeace***
Old 08-13-2002, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool ???????????????

Absolutely! Especially since FM releases albums on a much more rare occasion than ever. If the individual writers want to release an album on their own, apart from the sound or confines of FM I think it is essential.

I think that is very subjective. One might say that they could have written so much more great music together had it not been for their solo careers. Then again one could say they wouldn't have even survived if they did not venture into solo careers...time away from each other to vent their own creativities. With this ear I can hear some pretty amazing solo songs from all three members of FM.....I would hardly call it wasted!

Without question....YES! What one lacks the other seems to have. One's weakness is the other's strength.

First and foremost Rick Vito. I think he would fit like a glove with the present lineup of FM. Danny Kirwan and Billy Burnette would be welcome too, to a lesser degree. It'd be "nice" to see Bob Welch back, but I somehow see CONFLICT in the mix....not just for personal reasons, but musically too; especially with Lindsey. Ahhhh Peter Green.....I think he's just fine where he is now!!!

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 08-13-2002 at 04:34 PM..
Old 08-13-2002, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Yes, they still need an outlet for their songs. But if they have SO MANY DAMNED SONGS why don't we have more albums.

2. NO NO. How can you say they WASTED time. I LOVE Stevie solo as much as i love her in Fleetwood Mac. And how could we live without OOTC.

3. Yes and No

4. Becka Bramlet believe it or not. so there'd be that extra female voice. You know the THIRD voice that IS Fleetwood Mac.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...now that on the surface, there seems to be no animosity among it's members...

1. No, they should focus on the band at this point. Although...can anyone even say Lindsey HAS a solo career at this point?

2. Before '97...no...after '97...yes. The band had an enormously successful run with the Dance and a greedy money-hungry bastard like Mick Fleetwood should have done whatever he needed to in order to get those people to release a new studio album.

3. It's like the Beatles. They all had some success solo...but together, they are such an incredible amount better!

4. Bob Welch. I don't think anyone else would even come close to fitting in...well maybe Rick Vito...but that's pushing it.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Mine...

**Need---probably not, but I WANT them to put out solo stuff because of the different sound they do as solo artists. Their sound is sooooo different when it's not with the Mac.

**Nah, not really. What's done is done. The biggest gap in time was what...1983-1987? So, it's only 4 years.

**Yep, them as individuals KICK BUTT, but DANG, them as a group...KA-POW!

**Well, I really love Bob Welch's songs and voice the most of any ex-member, so even tho another guitar player would be a little conflicting....he's my pick.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They have always seemed to have had other projects going on at the same time they were in the group going back to the bearliest group. I guess Jeremy Spencer had the first solo album while staying a member and we got Then Play On, but then I wish they'd have put most all of his stuff on Kiln House someplace else. Christine and stevie seem to have had the most successful still in the group solos.

I think maybe Fleetwood Mac as a group should just call it a day, you can't go back really and there has to be an end at some point.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just a rebuttal to the Kiln House comment...and a bit of explanation as to what was going on at that time (maybe, I just feel a need to respond because of your comments on the Pre-Rumours board regarding Kiln House, as well) :

If they'd taken Jeremy's songs off of Kiln House, it would be like taking Stevie's songs off of Tusk and "putting 'em somewhere else." Jeremy Spencer & Danny Kirwan WERE the only two songwriters in the band at the time...they were the co-front men after Peter Green left. That's what scared the hell out of BOTH Jeremy & Danny is that once Peter was gone, they were left to carry the band...obviously neither had the personality or demeanor to handle the role. That was one reason why Christine was added right before the Kiln House tour, to fill out the sound and have someone with "band fronting" experience. Jeremy had always done his "schtick", and that's what had caused his self-doubt. Beyond the "schtick" he didn't have anything to offer (or so he thought...read his Q&A where he admits to it). Danny was just really weird and overly sensitive, but a heckuva guitar player & songwriter...like Lindsey, his lyrics weren't his strongsuit.

I'll give my responses to the questions and comment on the answers given in a day or two, once a few more responses come in, and, I have the time to go into detail. I've enjoyed reading the responses to the questions so far...interesting responses. And thanks to those who've responded thus far.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1)I don't think any of them actually need a solo career except for maybe Stevie. Next year's album will most likely be the last anyway, so if any of them still want to release anything, that will be the only way to do it.

2)I think they probably did waste time pursuing all of these various solo projects, especially in the 1980's. I think at that time, most of their priorities were with their solo careers, rather than with Fleetwood Mac. Of course, they may have been burned out with each other. Anyway, It's over and done with and you can't do anything about it now.

3)I definitely think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I think Fleetwood Mac as a band is still better than each individual member is separately.

4)I definitely would like to see Christine in the band, since in my opinion it's not truly Fleetwood Mac without her. If I can't pick her, then I guess I would have to go with Bob Welch. After reading Bob's Q & A, I'd love to see what would happen if Mick, John, Christine & Bob Welch were in the same room, let alone making music together.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

1. Speaking solely about Lindsey & Stevie I don't think a solo career for them is so much a necessity of $$$ as it is a necessity of having so much to say and just not enough time to say it in on the few and far between Mac albums we seem to be getting of late. In my personal opinion I need them to have a solo career because I love their music with or without the band. Lindsey's OOTC & GOS are two of my all-time favorite records.

2. Yes and no. I can see that time was wasted by the person touring or focusing on their solo album simply because they weren't focusing on furthering the group. However, I'd like to think that just because one was gone the others didn't feel that was good enough reason to put everything else on hold. That member can always pick up and carry on once their solo work was complete.

3. IMO, yes. As much as I love Lindsey and Stevie solo there is nothing like the Mac as a whole. Together they make music that just can't be compared to anyone else.

4. Without a question Rick Vito. He's an amazing guitarist and such an asset to any band he's with. I really would have liked to see another FM album released with Rick. Billy would also be nice to have back. I loved his version of Oh Well from the Tango tour. And he is some nice eye candy! I think it would also be nice to see Peter Green perform with the group one more time.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Addition...

After hearing some Danny Kirwan songs (solo), I would like to add that if Danny rejoined, I would not be horrendously offended in any way!! He's got a great sound, and I love his stuff more and more as I listen to it!!
Old 08-17-2002, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Good questions...

They do now, Just to get some of their material which won't be used for the Mac out to the people...But at the same time it would be great to hear MORE Mac material released instead of solo albums (Which are rare these days)

I think there was ALOT of time wasted on solo material. I believe the band should have had, At least, 3-4 more studio albums released than that were actually released. Since 1987 there has been a greatest hits package, a boxed set, and a live album. I would like to have studio albums instead, Wouldn't anyone like to have heard a studio album instead of "The Dance" live album? I would've...Since "the Dance" album there has been only 1 solo album, What were the other members doing in that time makes me wonder...

In a few place I like the solo material. But at the same time I imagine that the solo material could sound much better in the band setting or that if given to another member of the group for their input just to see how the songs could be rearranged.

I would say Bob Welch And/or Peter Green...Welch because he has a cool vocal sound and Green because he can play the hell outta the guitar.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-17-2002, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that they do. Being in Fleetwood Mac has certain limitations and having a solo career (I'm specifically thinking of Lindsey here) allows there to be more of a flow of creativity and a different way of thinking about how to make music.

No, I think that them having time to themselves was the best thing for the band. Plus, we've gotten to listen to some pretty incredible solo work from Lindsey, Stevie, Christine and on and on.

I have to say I'm a Mac fan first off but I absolutely LOVE Lindsey's solo work and I do find myself listening to that more often than anything else.

I really like Billy's voice so he'd be my first choice. But I don't really think he'd fit in with Lindsey vocally or otherwise; I think Rick would be the better choice actually.

Matt