Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:43 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
Let's face it...

If the priority of all members was to do an album, to be creatively active, we would have had an album a long time ago. Lindsey could have very well said to the band that he would not tour if there was no new material. As much as he continues to discuss new songs, he has seemed more than willing to just go and tour the hits (keep in mind, this is the THIRD tour in a row without any new album - the EP hardly qualifies). This is a band that seemed to lose the spark of working in the studio together a long time ago. Yes, Lindsey and Christine have been producing new music and they do seem very happy with how it has been going. However, at the end of the day it seems like a side note to all of the band. Fleetwood Mac will continue to be a greatest hits touring act until they call it a day. I think we will be lucky to get some solo work, but as a band they fully realize that the money is in the touring, and touring behind songs from their heyday (it is quite something to think that the most recent songs featured in the On With The Show tour were written in 1986/1987!).

Don't get me wrong, they still do put on one hell of a rock show. However, from an artistic standpoint, they seem to have lost whatever it is that drove them to write all of the incredible material from their previous studio work (I would argue that they lost it after Tusk, despite some stellar individual tracks from the 80s).
Great post, You hit the point. If they really want to put out a new album, they could do it - with or without Stevie.

For me, this ‘On With The Show’-Tour is all wrong. When Christine announced her comeback, the next logical step had to be a new album. The timing would have been perfect. Both Stevie and Lindsey had recently released critical acclaimed new albums, they both seemed to get along quite well during the 2012/13 tour and Christine’s return would have aroused huge media interests. Instead they all preferred to hit the road again for yet another greatest hits tour and grab the big cash.

I doubt that it was only Stevie’s decision. Are we sure about Mick’s position? No matter what he said in recent interviews, I think that he wanted to make as much money as soon as possible out of Christine’s return. Making a new record first, would have meant delay and costs with unsure prospects in terms of sales. Furthermore they all are at an age where no one can tell, what will be in a year, just think of John’s cancer. So, from a financial point of few, the tour was the next logical step, but a step that clearly showed that they days of Fleetwood Mac as a creative power are over. Recording an album after the tour makes for me no sense at all and I doubt that it will happen.

Quote:
She commited to a new, quite extensive tour with FM right after getting back from a huge tour - jumping on a new tour that NEVER would have happened if it weren't for Christine returning. So even if it has been Stevie's dream to have Chris back why should she feel obliged to commit to everything that the rest of them wants just because Chris is back???
Exactly! I totally understand Stevie’s point of few. Christine’s return overthrew all her plans. She had to release 24KaratGold in a hurry and she couldn’t promote it properly. In addition, it seems that the tensions between the band members are running high again. No wonder, she's not that euphoric about FM right now. Beside that, I still believe that the ambitions for a new album amongst the other band members are not that high, especially regarding Mick and John. Lindsey and Christine are probably ready to record again. If that's the case, it's their part to convince the others and bring them on board.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can't blame Stevie for not wanting to record a new FM album. She's been pretty consistent since the 80s about her stance that recording with FM is a singularly off-putting experience. She just doesn't like it. Which is fair enough. But I agree that this waffling position of "oohhh I don't knowwww maybeee" is pretty charmless. It reminds me of about ten years ago whenever she was asked about putting out a new solo album, which we've now discovered she really had no intention whatsoever of doing at that time.

However, she's certainly not the only one to blame for the frustration here. The entire band clearly views the situation as very delicate, because this lineup has become so established and revered. They all wish things were different in some way or another, but what they do do satisfies each of them at least enough that they keep trucking along as they are. Nobody really wants to mix things up this late in the game. Band members can leave, and they can be kicked out, it happens all the time. But it's clear that neither of those things are going to happen here.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
THAT is the question i am asking
there is nearly TWO months between the last US date and the new UK ones.
i just thought it was odd she said AUSTRALIA then EUROPE considering we have been thrown NO bones and are being ignored

September 2016 you mean @ssholes.

shut up
unless it means a TOTAL end of tour.
in that case they do need to squeeze us in before 6/30
we're small. they can manage
3-4weeks max. it doesn't take much for the aussies
COME ON

i'd PREFER a Stevie 24KG solo tour than a Mac tour next year tbh
and since she didn't get to do her IYD Q&A here
she can do a new one ... 24KG Q&A

^^^^
Plus she can drag her photo exhibition along with her
Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Be that as it may, she's NOT bigger than the band.

She's either in or she's out. She can't be both. Sure, the band doesn't want to play smaller venues. Neither does she. If she wants the status of bandmate, then she is obligated to give them songs (and they don't really even have to be hers). She can't hold them hostage. Not anymore.

That all being said, I think she has every intention of recording with Fleetwood Mac.
As long as the band continues to tolerate her non participation ( in the studio ) Stevie will continue to do as she pleases... I highly doubt FM will fire Stevie Nicks and commit financial suicide.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
As long as the band continues to tolerate her non participation ( in the studio ) Stevie will continue to do as she pleases... I highly doubt FM will fire Stevie Nicks and commit financial suicide.
I don't think the want to be the support act again on a package tour with REO Speed Wagon and a version of FOGHAT who's only resemblance of an original member is the the guy who was their 3rd replacement drummer
Old 11-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
I don't think the want to be the support act again on a package tour with REO Speed Wagon and a version of FOGHAT who's only resemblance of an original member is the the guy who was their 3rd replacement drummer
Yes it would be just like old times for FM.

From the FM wiki page.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1980 View Post
Most of the heavy work falls on Lindsey and the other musicians? Are you just referring to the fact that they are playing instruments and Stevie is not? Because if you think that it is easy or no work to be the lead singer and put that kind of pressure on your voice doing vocals/harmonies on 20 songs during a 2,5 hour show then you are wrong!!

In that persepctive she is under even MORE pressure than the rest of the band due to the fact that her voice is her ONLY instrument.
*shrugs* Stevie often talks about how she was left idle for long periods of Fleetwood Mac's recording sessions because she "isn't a musician". Those are her own words, and they are the truth. She simply isn't a core force in the band's sound and music because she isn't a musician. The other members are. That's not to say she doesn't work damn hard, it's just a reality of her job which she is very matter-of-fact about. It was a perfectly fair comment for PenguinHead to make.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Yes, because this is EXACTLY the same situation as 1994-95.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Stevie didn't ask Lindsey and Christine to start working on a new record so u can't hold that over her head. The blemish of the successfulness is on Lindsey and Chris. They broke up the group.
I'm sorry, what now? Four fifths of the band wanted to make an album, four fifths of the band seems to have no problem getting along, but they're responsible for breaking up the band?

Quote:
Yes it would be just like old times for FM.

From the FM wiki page.
This is quite different. This wasn't just minus Christine, this was also minus Lindsey and Stevie, all three lead singers that were responsible for the hits. Without Stevie would they have to tour smaller arenas? Sure. Would they become someone else's opening act? No way. Christine's responsible for most of their hits and Lindsey's more popular now than he's been in years. He's working with younger artists, his last album charted as high as Go Insane, etc. They'll be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1980 View Post
Most of the heavy work falls on Lindsey and the other musicians? Are you just referring to the fact that they are playing instruments and Stevie is not? Because if you think that it is easy or no work to be the lead singer and put that kind of pressure on your voice doing vocals/harmonies on 20 songs during a 2,5 hour show then you are wrong!!

In that persepctive she is under even MORE pressure than the rest of the band due to the fact that her voice is her ONLY instrument.
Stevie's not the only lead singer. Christine and Lindsey have always had more songs per album than she has in addition to playing instruments (plus the producing work Lindsey does), so more work definitely falls on them.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's more like Stevie will be committing financial suicide. If she blows this, she'll be back to doing package tours with Rod Stewart, while 4/5 of the classic Mac could still do smaller arenas on their own.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 11-14-2014 at 10:36 AM..
Old 11-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It's more like Stevie will be committing financial suicide. If she blows this, she'll be back to doing package tours with Rod Stewart, while 4/5 of the classic Mac could still do smaller arenas on their own.
That is a load crap. She doesn't need the money.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yeeeah. Isn't it a little odd to be talking about any of the band members committing "financial suicide"? None of them are exactly paycheques away from a life on the street. They've all made it clear that they like money, but talking about any of them "needing" to do anything, financially speaking, is just silly.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Yeeeah. Isn't it a little odd to be talking about any of the band members committing "financial suicide"? None of them are exactly paycheques away from a life on the street. They've all made it clear that they like money, but talking about any of them "needing" to do anything, financially speaking, is just silly.
It's a form of applying peer pressure and bullying.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That is a load crap. She doesn't need the money.
But Mick does...If Stevie stands her ground and FM (Mick) has to make a decision between keeping Stevie in the band ( no record ) and continuing the "cash cow tours" or parting ways with Stevie and putting out a record and playing smaller venues at reduced ticket prices what option do you think the band (Mick) will choose?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's a form of applying peer pressure and bullying.
No, it's the reality of the situation. Stevie is in the band or she is not. She does not have to do anything further with Fleetwood Mac if she doesn't want to. She doesn't have to let Lindsey come anywhere near her songs.

However, the band has the right to ask her to leave if she's not going to be a team player. Stevie, with Christine returning, doesn't really have the leverage she once had. With 4/5 of the classic band back together, the band could be viable without her. She's really in no position to string them along anymore.

Stevie needs to understand that there will be consequences if she chooses to not be a team player. People pointing out those consequences aren't being bullies. It's not peer pressure, it's business. The reality is that her career will suffer as much as, if not more than the band's.

THE Stephen Hopkins