User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 View Post
I love this song from beginning to end. The music and lyrics are hypnotic, in a good way, at least to me anyway!
I love the production on illume but hate the words. Lindsey knocked it out of the park.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 View Post
Why don't you like this version of "Sisters of the Moon"?
I just find it vastly overrated as a performance. Her vocals were so obviously shot by that point. Most of her performances on the Mirage DVD sound bad, Rhiannon and Gypsy being two other examples. I just hate it when her voice takes on that croaky almost whimpering sound when sings. She just strains for most of the notes and you can barely make her out. Plus she couldn't even be arsed to sing most of it and left Lindsey to pick it up. Horrible performance.

Last edited by TheSorcerer; 02-25-2013 at 07:24 AM..
Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorcerer View Post
I just find it vastly overrated as a performance. Her vocals were so obviously shot by that point. Most of her performances on the Mirage DVD sound bad, Rhiannon and Gypsy being two other examples. I just hate it when her voice takes on that croaky almost whimpering sound when sings. She just strains for most of the notes and you can barely make her out. Plus she couldn't even be arsed to sing most of it and left Lindsey to pick it up. Horrible performance.
Didn't Stevie have laryngitis like 2 days before the Mirage video was filmed? I agree that "Gypsy" and "Rhiannon" are pretty dire, apart from the "I don't change, you don't change, it's all the same" chant where she rips it up at the end of "Rhiannon".
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate that she wears white to weddings where she is a guest.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Didn't Stevie have laryngitis like 2 days before the Mirage video was filmed? I agree that "Gypsy" and "Rhiannon" are pretty dire, apart from the "I don't change, you don't change, it's all the same" chant where she rips it up at the end of "Rhiannon".
Her vocals were pretty testy throughout the majority of the 1980s anyway. The drugs and the singing from the throat came back to haunt her post the Bella Donna Tour. Different strokes for different folks, but I find it odd that some of her worst performances are amongst some her most acclaimed by fans. I can't believe a great concert like the Bella Donna Tour is not available on DVD whilst Live at Red Rocks is. The majority of that show is an embarrassment. They even released the crappy US Festival concert on DVD instead of the Bella Donna Tour.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake View Post
What is your unpopular Stevie opinon? I have several:

-I loved her SYW button down sweater.
-The Reeboks don't bother me at all.
-Her Tango in the Night and Behind the Mask songs are some of my favorites.
-I prefer the present day Rhiannon to the old Rhiannon versions from the '70s.

What are your shameful Stevie opinions?
That Dave Stewart is her real spiritual soulmate. But that doesn't mean that I'm not a shipper too
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
I don't know about laryngitis (not that it would surprise me, she's sick often enough), but Robin died a couple of days before the Mirage DVD. I've always seen that given as the reason for the lackluster "Gypsy." I think the rest of the performance was virtually flawless.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As a whole I'm not all that fond of Belladonna. I like the title track and Edge of Seventeen, Leather and Lace but really nothing else. I know that's totally blasphemous to say. I'm not saying it's not a good record, I think it's absolutely brilliant. It's just not to my liking.

I absolutely love Rose Garden, No Questions Asked and Welcome to the Room, Sara.

Tusk era Stevie is my favorite time for her voice and image. Seeing her dance "like an old time dance hall girl" in the Angel video thrills me every time.

I love the demo of Annabell Lee as much as the album version.

I think When I See You Again is an incredibly beautiful and heartfelt song but cringe when she shouts "BABY BABY" in it.

I hate to admit this but I think the line "maybe I'm just thinking that the rooms are all on fire every time you walk in the room" is a bad lyric. I'm sorry, it's the writer in me. You just don't use the same word twice in the same line like that. And yes, I would tell that to Bob Dylan.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are mine:

1. Her drug-fueled performances were tacky and unprofessional.
2. Most of her commercial success is attributed to her physical beauty, not her music.
3. The Other Side of the Mirror is her third best solo album, behind Bella Donna and The Wild Heart.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't like her view on modern technology. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUChF...jUqgHy-J7s7Dao

Of course, I'm a teen and I couldn't live without my cell phone, but Stevie get out of 1980!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorcerer View Post
That is how SOTM was performed on the entire Mirage tour.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
I hate to admit this but I think the line "maybe I'm just thinking that the rooms are all on fire every time you walk in the room" is a bad lyric. I'm sorry, it's the writer in me. You just don't use the same word twice in the same line like that. And yes, I would tell that to Bob Dylan.
Just today I was telling a friend who is a writer the exact same thing. I once took a writing class and the teacher told me never to use the same word twice in one sentence when describing something.

However, Room's On Fire is an awesome song to me.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

some thoughts just off the top off my head.....

I love the fact Stevie used others music for her "new" songs on Timespace...yes I love them both including Desert Angel

OTSOTM is brilliant and SA has a special place in my heart, despite the warts

RAL, at one time was my favorite (in 86) but I can barely stand to listen to half of it now

I like Paper Doll, but don't care much for No Questions Asked

I love the fact that she does I Need to Know live, but I despise(like most) that she insists on doing Rn'R

I love her TITN entries

I love her work on the BTM album, and actually love this line-up of musicians, as well

Sweet Girl is brilliant

Illume and Smile At You from SYW, I could live without

I really don't care for New Orleans or Soldiers Angel

Twisted should be sung with LB at some stage/performance in her career (hello 2013?)

Landslide should have been dropped from the setlist a long time ago in favor of Crystal....damn those Dixie Chicks
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Reeboks don't bother me.
I HATE "Landslide."
Fleetwood Mac should perform "Fall From Grace."
The studio version of "Stand Back" is unlistenable.
Stevie should bring "Face The Promise" back to the set list.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinyRules View Post
T

Stevie should bring "Face The Promise" back to the set list.
I love that you mention this, although I don't agree.

Many are quick to judge her "covers" and I see their point given the fact she has so many songs of her own to chose from.

I actually love it when she performs I Need to Know and I didn't think her take on Crash Into Me was bad.