User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Good point, and I totally agree. Danny's contribution was the "pop/rock" element in the band during the Peter Green years. By the way, I absolutely love Danny's songs; he is my third favorite Mac member (after Chris and Bob).

It would be interesting to visit a parallel universe where Peter and then Jeremy didn't succumb to outside influences and leave the band, to see how the band might have continued to evolve with that lineup intact. They most certainly would, considering how different 'Then Play On' was from the previous, more blues-centered records.
Danny was a true ace, a child prodigy of R&R. Is it any wonder Mick was so hesitant to cut him? With Green's prodding and nurturing, he was on a blaze towards ever greater heights. The shame, the tragedy, is that Peter and Danny couldn't have played on.

Then again we may not have seen Bob Welch if that were the case, or Christine McVie in all her wonder, or - egads - Buckingham & Nicks. So in another sense, maybe it worked out for the best. They certainly left us some choice pearls before their days were done.

I also have to say we are very lucky Kiln House was produced. On that transitional production Jeremy Spencer really shines bright, a fitting and lasting tribute to his influence in the FM legacy. Danny worked nicely with him on both vocal and instrumental interplay (just like DK did with Welch later on), and we further catch our first glimpse of sweet Christie's vocals.

You really can't appreciate all that Fleetwood Mac is without visiting their early and middle periods. The superstardom phase we all know about (and it was good, very good).

The parallel universe concept -- I like that.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine was, without a doubt, the stellar center point in the "Rumours" era of the band, no question. To a certain extent, Stevie and Lindsey owe their success to her (and vice versa). However, band member mutations are a natural occurance in the history of Fleetwood Mac; that's what really defines them -- their tenacity!

Rejoyce in the fact that Christine has had a longest tenure with the band, aside from Mick and John. So many others came and went, and she endured the lows and eventually enjoyed the highs. And she knew when it was time for her to bow out of heavy obligations that come with being in the band. She chose to live more placidly. I respect her for that.

She could have left under worse circumstances:

Dissapeared and joined a cult while on The Dance Tour

Demanded that the band give way all their money

Screwed around with Mick's wife

Became too much of drunk to perform

Had to check into a mental ward

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-15-2008 at 07:48 PM..
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

Mick might have liked that.

Michele
Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Here's an internet posting with which I agree 100%.

From http://steelyankee.blogspot.com/2008...ack-again.html
Yeah... My friend Mr Bill refers to Fleetwood Mac now as "Fleetwood Mac-lite" It's a shame really. I'm glad to see them continuing on, but I do miss Christine. It's almost like a different band now.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My feelings about the band without Christine must be similar to the way the fans of the Peter Green-era Mac felt many years ago when Peter left. They must have thought, "well, this new bunch of musicians is interesting, but without Peter, they're missing the element that made me love them."

Of course, many PG-era fans disliked the pop direction the band took without him. The comparison breaks down because now because the band isn't taking a radically new direction without Christine. But without her they are missing the element that made me love them. Lindsey and Stevie are still going to put out good music but without Chris's contribution, I think the band is missing something crucial. Of course they're still Fleetwood Mac without her, but a diminished version of the band. "Fleetwood Mac Lite" as the previous poster said. That about says it all, in my opinion.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I miss Christine as well. But it was the same when Lindsey was gone, when Lindsey & Stevie were gone. Those five pieces make magic. And they can be magical in different configurations, but it's just different.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
BTW, if they bring back anybody, I'd love to see Rick Vito come back to do some of the Green-era stuff.
Actually, I think that's a first-rate idea -- Rick could inject some much-needed energy into the show. He and Mick have been dynamite in the Blues Band tour, and besides, he learned all the songs 20 years ago.

The scenario of Rick playing alongside Lindsey is intriguing, but probably falls into the hell-freezing-over category....
Old 12-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
She could have left under worse circumstances:

Dissapeared and joined a cult while on The Dance Tour

Demanded that the band give way all their money

Had to check into a mental ward

Clever. Don't forget left due to exhaustion, as in shades of '74.

And ... Accomplished all that realistically could be expected, as in shades of '74 ... oh, wait ... as in shades of '98!

That could also be called knowing when to quit >> aka >> gettin' out while the gettin's good!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Yeah... My friend Mr Bill refers to Fleetwood Mac now as "Fleetwood Mac-lite" It's a shame really.
FM Lite. Some of us have been thinking this way for the last 20 years. The Dance was a nice revisit to the past, but they should have "beefed things up" not all that long after Tusk imo. Adding a second guitarist/songwriter may have righted the ship more, which was arguably listing as early on as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
Actually, I think that's a first-rate idea -- Rick could inject some much-needed energy into the show. He and Mick have been dynamite in the Blues Band tour, and besides, he learned all the songs 20 years ago.

The scenario of Rick playing alongside Lindsey is intriguing, but probably falls into the hell-freezing-over category....
Not so fast old timer. To all our surprise it may have been closer than you think. But who would have been the "mystery side axe," that's the bigger question. Vito? Burnette? BOTH? Lookey here for more (note in particular where Handsome Steve shocks the monkey):

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=15567&page=6

Last edited by snoot; 12-21-2008 at 10:57 PM..