User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Yes, I'm sure their six month estimate will be proven wrong when they get there and discover that it's got seven months worth of oil.

My point is, why kill the ecosystem and the innocent animals for such a small oil supply? Why ruin everything on the off chance that there may be a few more barrels? Should we just roll the dice and find out when we get in there that's much less than has even been predicted? It makes no sense either way. You're not going to sell me on this, Jason, it's capitalism at it's worst.
I suppose by using the word "everything" you imply that the entire Alaskan ecosystem will be destroyed and nothing will ever grow their again. That is rank doom and gloom liberalism and you know it. The fact is, yes, there will be some environmental damage. But, as a society (and we are ALL guilty of it) - we want power and we want it cheaply. Moreover, while I laud the dream of alternative fuel being the main source on day, I know the reality is that will never happen until the last drop of oil is drained from the earth, which includes Alaska. So, I say drill there now and get it over with.

BTW - I love your spin - there could be much more than predicted as well, not just seven months It could be a few years or none at all. Such is the nature of drilling for oil.

Again, until we all stop altogether using fossil fuels, a goal I strive for mind you, then that oil is coming out of the ground.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
we want power and we want it cheaply.
That line won't win any arguments.

I certainly don't want power and I don't want it cheaply. ****, I don't shop at Wal-Mart, I finally got my hybrid ( ), I don't agree with invading countries for their oil supplies, etc.

Quote:
BTW - I love your spin - there could be much more than predicted as well, not just seven months It could be a few years or none at all. Such is the nature of drilling for oil.
Not spin. I simply employed the logic you used. After all, you told me that oil big wigs have claimed to know for a fact that there was oil in a spot where there never was any. We might be wrong about Alaska by using that logic. For all we know, there could be much more, there could be much less. I'm not willing to f*ck up the wildlife for even two years worth of oil.

Quote:
Again, until we all stop altogether using fossil fuels, a goal I strive for mind you, then that oil is coming out of the ground.
Put yourself in the position of the animals we're going to torture, maim, and slaughter in the process. I, for one, cannot have such an attitude because I care too much for life, be it animal life or human life.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, we never invaded a country for oil. If we did prove it. I submit you cannot because we do not have their oil and never will. But, I agree it makes good copy to say it

Also, I am glad you have a hybrid and conserve fuel. But, all that means is four animals die instead of five in the big scheme of things and even without drilling in Alaska It is still fossil fuel. It still hurts the environment. I still disturbs ecosystems to get it from the earth. So, I think while it is great you conserve and pay the highest dollar you can for gas produces in an envirnmentall friendly manner (which I submit is oxymoronic) - but it is just a lesser degree of severity and will just serve to prolong the drilling of oil in that if we use less, the longer it will last.

Note: I realize I am arguing on an academic level, etc.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 08-18-2004 at 12:29 PM..
Old 08-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, we never invaded a country for oil. If we did prove it. I submit you cannot because we do not have their oil and never will. But, I agree it makes good copy to say it
Kinda funny, though, that much of their oil profits are now missing, AFTER we went in there.

I can't prove we went in there for oil, but there's enough evidence to at least suggest that we did. Then again, you can't prove to me why we even went in there in the first place. They said it was because of WMDs, then they said it was to liberate. Gimme a break.

Quote:
Also, I am glad you have a hybrid and conserve fuel. But, all that means is four animals die instead of five in the big scheme of things and even without drilling in Alaska
At least that's something.

Quote:
but it is just a lesser degree of severity and will just serve to prolong the drilling of oil in that if we use less, the longer it will last.
If I can have any part in prolonging it, I'm happy.