2. Lay Down for Free
3. On With the Show

4. Red Sun
5. Sleeping Around the Corner
6. Carnival Begin

7. Too Far Gone
8. Feel About You

9. Game of Pretend

10. In My World (the only song i still can't stand)
I'm telling Lindsey!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Carnival Begin

2. Too Far Gone

3. In My World
4. Red Sun
5. Feel Anout You
6. On With the Show
7. Lay Down For Free
8. Game of Pretend
9. Love is here to stay
10. Sleeping Around the Corner

Not one bad song, but those spaces are intentional with how much better I think the top 2 songs are from the rest of the album.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 06-07-2017, 05:40 PM

1. Carnival Begin
2. Too Far Gone
3. Love Is Here To Stay
4. Game of Pretend
5. On With The Show
6. In My World
7. Feel About You
8. Sleeping Around The Corner
9. Lay Down For Free
10. Red Sun

I'm loving it more and more everyday.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Heart

Add four Stevie songs, and we have a solid Fleetwood Mac album. 'Too Far Gone' is still a miss for me, and 'Sleeping Around The Corner' is still a Lindsey Buckingham song from my persepctive. Loving it more and more each day, though. My tracklisting...

On With The Show
Feel About You
Lay Down For Free
Carnival Begin
In My World
Red Sun
Love Is Here To Stay
Game Of Pretend
Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Ledgie

Default Countdown!

10. Love Is Here To Stay
09. Game Of Pretend
08. Lay Down For Free
07. On With The Show
06. Sleeping Around The Corner
05. In My World
04. Red Sun
03. Too Far Gone
02. Feel About You
01. Carnival Begin
Old 06-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1 Carnival Begin -- WHERE has Christine been hiding this? Gorgeous, haunting. Has that Fleetwood Mac warmth and darkness we've been craving. I wish Stevie had participated in this album just to contribute to this track. However, Lindsey's vocal contribution in the verses adds just the right amount to the song. You really hear Christine's lust for the "carnival"... Sensual and builds to an instrumental climax that rings in your ears after the song fades out, continually rocking. You can see how Lindsey positively contributed to this song, very reminiscent of his treatment of Stevie's songs on Tusk and Mirage, very rock and roll. I love everything about this. I will buy the entire album just for this song.

2 Too Far Gone -- AMAZING guitar opening. And the drums... Yessss! Very rock and roll, in a way that feels both modern and reminiscent of another era in the best way. Lindsey is a great vocal addition on the verses. I don't know what it's about but I want to be underground, tooooo far gone with Christine McVie!!

3 Red Sun -- I love this. It sounds 1960s folky to me and I love it. My ears trick me into hearing young Stevie in the background vocals.

4 Game of Pretend -- Really lovely Christine piano ballad. Even though the song doesn't need it, I like the instrumental. It sort of reminds me of Brown Eyes with Mystified harmonies on the chorus. Is this song also about Christine's dog? The "I'll never know, dear" reminds me of You Are My Sunshine, a lullaby from my childhood. Impeccably arranged.

5 In My World -- The song that most surprises me. My favorite Lindsey song on the album now that I hear it in context. Adds an edge after two straight pop songs. I hear ties to Sisters of the Moon, Tango album and of course, Big Love. What initially seemed to lack the "warmth" of Fleetwood Mac songs now feels full and deep. Makes me miss Stevie, because it sounds like Lindsey misses Stevie.

6 Love is Here to Stay -- I wish Lindsey would stop doing weird things to his voice. That said, the chorus gets stuck in your head. A lullaby of a song. I appreciate how Lindsey doesn't always go for the obvious lyrical choice in this song, i.e. "Even though I play too rough". Contemplative and makes you think a bit more.

7 On With the Show -- I like Lindsey's voice on this track. The guitar in "let's get on let's get on let's get on let's get on" is a nice little hook. "On down the road" is a little derivative. By this point in the album I'm rolling my eyes at Lindsey just repeating the chorus over and over. He does this in all of his songs on this album and I'm like wow, creative.

8 Sleeping Around the Corner -- Solid opener, harks back to Monday Morning and Second Hand News as others have said... Gets stuck in your head. But the chorus: "No, I don't want to bring you down/No, I never meant to give you a frown" I never meant to give you a frown? Cringeworthy!

9 Lay Down for Free -- I like the harmonizing on the chorus. I anticipated more from the opening drumbeat and felt let down.

10 Feel About You -- I like it more on repeat listens. I like how the vocals incorporate both singers. Christine sounds saccharine sweet. The overlapping chorus is slightly reminiscent of Hold Me.

After hearing the singles, I expected the album to be overproduced but I was so pleasantly surprised. I love the blend of Lindsey and Christine's voices, particularly with Christine on lead and Lindsey on background. Makes me wish this was a Christine album produced by Lindsey. I miss Stevie, but I am very proud of Buckingham McVie. The more I listen, the more I fall for Christine's rock and roll side, especially on Carnival Begin (dying) and Too Far Gone. I see how the singles fit into the greater context of the album and the connection between the duo feels -- dare I say it -- organic.

Last edited by lilyfee; 06-08-2017 at 09:35 PM..
Old 06-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I kind of want to wait until I hear it in full quality tomorrow but as of right now this is my order keeping in my mind I like every song.

Carnival Begin
Love is Here to Stay
On With The Show
Too Far Gone
Lay Down For Free
Sleeping Around the Corner
Red Sun
Feel About You
In My World
Game of Pretend (love the chorus and the Bridge)
Old 06-09-2017, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The two best songs are undoubtedly "Carnival Begin" and "On With The Show". I actually don't like any of the remaining 8 tracks so overall, the album is a disappointment for me. Stevie's absence looms large.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I gotta admit that I'm left with "where's Stevie?" in listening to these great songs, but I'm loving it and glad to finally hear it in full- stayed up late just to get through it a few times Huge mistake for her not to participate and so many of her songs would have fit nicely with it, even without writing a single new song.

To the ranking:
1 Carnival Begin- this song ranks up there with their best work. Everything about the song is pure ear Fleetwood Mac ear candy, but hands down to Christine on an amazing vocal. I remember in the Tusk doc where she's asked if she would be doing this at 40, heck, 74 and putting in a performance like this? Amazing in every way.
2. Game of Pretend- I'm digging it, it's beautiful, great arrangement, nice piano and again, sung by Christine to perfection, the chorus takes it into ballad anthem territory.
3. Too Far Gone- Rocking Christine- she is just loving singing this which makes it all the better to listen to. The tribute to Tusk is wonderful and the song sounds relevant and fresh. As with Carnival, this is a stellar song to add to the collection.
4. On with the Show- Favourite Lindsey song and the you and I outro really works well. His voice sounds great here too.
5. Red Sun- Christine really shines on this album and turns in another great pop song.
6 Lay Down for Free- Reminds me a bit of I Know I'm Not Wrong, in a good way.
7. Love is Here to Stay- Pretty guitar and I love Lindsey on slow songs.
8. IN My World- this song is so catchy it plays in my head and in a nice way. The live version last night I agree was even better than the record. This is a great song people!
9. Feel About You- Hard not to place this higher because again- Christine- nice work!
10. Sleeping Around the Corner- I like it but, a newer song could've taken its place and this album "should've" opened with a true duet in the Hold Me- Think About Me vein.

All in all I'm pleased with the product, definitely no padding! I will always be a bit sad that Stevie sat this out- they would've created a wonderful cap to their career and gone out on top.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've just had my first full run through of the album. Sh!t, I love this album of songs. I'll stop short of saying its perfect- because it isn't without Stevie. I think they've maybe been a bit clever keeping it to 10 songs- it keeps you wondering what it would have been like had she participated. Its like there's a hole there just waiting for her as if they've said: 'right, lets not fill up an album- we'll do our bits and just leave off Stevie's bits'.

As a body of work the 10 songs are just great- no weak songs at all, though some stick out more than others.

Really loving: Carnival Begin, Too Far Gone, On With The Show, Game of Pretend.
Loving: Sleeping Around the Corner, Red Sun, Love is Here to Stay, In My World.
So so: Feel About You, Lay Down For Free.

It's so much better listening to the songs through a stereo rather than through the computer. I was a bit concerned about Game of Pretend based on the reviews- but come on... its truly beautiful. Lay Down for Free is nice, but never really gets going; lovely melody, but needs a bit more depth. In My World has gotten a bit of stick but its a good song. In the context of the album that instrumental break is just delicious.

Relieved and happy

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

By the first 4 songs we already could have listened too, I was not impressed. Have listen to the album on Spotify while commuting to and back from work. No bad songs, but not thrilled too. The one song that stands out to me is 'Too Far Gone'.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Ledgie

Love "lay down for free" , so suprised that it's my favourite so far. Really impressed with the album, the only song where I really missed stevie was "on with the show" to me it sounds like a fleetwood Mac album, and a bloody good one at that, so I'm really pleased
Old 06-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can't rank them yet. Constantly shifting and changing positions. With each listen I'm picking up different stuff.

Generally speaking though,

This cd is way too short. Just about when you get into it, it's over.

I was totally blown away by Carnival Begin at first, and am still loving it, but I don't think it's going to end up being my favorite song on the record.

Game of Pretend is growing on me a lot! I always thought the piano and Christine's singing were beautiful, but the song came across as kind of schmaltzy. Not so much anymore.

Lindsey has a lot of good songs here. I believe he has grown as a writer. At least for me, I'm relating more to his words.

On With the Show is possibly my favorite song.

Christine's and Lindsey's voices are in fine form.

I'm loving this record and am somewhat in awe that they are still creating new music all these years later, and I'm still fortunate enough to be listening.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Their voices sound a bit like Stevie in some of the harmonies- Game of Pretend in particular. Its like they couldn't have Stevie so they sounded like her anyway to make up for it.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Their voices sound a bit like Stevie in some of the harmonies- Game of Pretend in particular. Its like they couldn't have Stevie so they sounded like her anyway to make up for it.
Classic LB technique.

I just feel Christine's writing was superior on In The Meantime.....even though on CBS show she called it her "dirge" album.....which I don't see it as so much.