Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:17 AM
Ledgie

Default Opening acts for Fleetwood Mac

I know Men at Work opened for FM on The Mirage Tour, but what about other tours? I know they haven't had an opening act on the last three tours, but what about others? (Go back as far as you can remember or document.)

Someone I know just asked me about The Dance Tour in 1997 and what the opening act was. I don't remember there being an opening act. And I saw it three times: Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY); Continental Airlines Arena (East Rutherford, NJ) and Madison Square Garden (New York, NY). She went with me to the NJ show and can't remember. I have no memory of an opening act from any of those shows on that tour. The FM set alone was close to three hours, especially at the MSG show, so I can't imagine there was a opening act.

The Garden show was epic. I had an amazing experience at that show that night. If I can find my write-up on the Nicksfix from that show, I'll read it again and see if I should post it again, just for old time's sake. (It was a long time ago, and I might have still been in glory mode after the show.) After I posted the write-up, John Kinney wrote to me and commented on how much he liked the review and was envious of my experience.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

The Cruzados on the Tango tour
Squeeze on the BTM tour.

That's all I got.

John
Old 12-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Ledgie

At Wembley on the BTM tour
Jethro Tull & Van Halen were the opening acts/support
Old 12-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Senior Ledgie

September 1982: I saw John Waite, Loverboy and John Cougar Mellencamp (in that order) open for Fleetwood Mac at Rock Superbowl 15, held at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando, FL.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christopher Cross opened for them in New Haven on the Tusk Tour show I saw. He opened for many of the American FM gigs that year.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Kenny Loggins in 1978 - some of the Rumours Tour dates.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What would constitute for the tour managers to invite or hire an opening act?

I would love to see these guys brought to open for the MAC! They are my absolute favorite band. I would imagine Fleetwood Mac themselves would be happy with this since they are now all about giving to the younger artists, especially Stevie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-031N4yxQg

They are definitely amazing, and musically interesting, the audience would love this!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Christopher Cross...

I haven't seen him since the Newmannium.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I haven't seen him since the Newmannium.

I love anyone who'll trade Seinfeld quotes with me!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A spinecringing Chris de Burgh, Utrecht, Netherlands 1990. But ehhh, the headlining act was just slightly better....

Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

RIP FM Legacy: https://web.archive.org/web/20080430....com/main.html

If you hover over the cities, you'll get a setlist and the names of openers. One of the 1975 dates has them on a bill with ZZ Top (the headliners), Jay Boy Adams, Trooper, Jeff Beck, and Aerosmith(!)

Firefall opened for them on for one 1976 date. They covered Crying In The Night in 1980, unreleased until 1995.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In '75 at the Forum, Fleetwood Mac was the middle artist on a 3 act bill that had Little Feat opening (& damned near stealing the show) and the Dave Mason Band headlining. That was the last show I saw Lindsey Buckingham play & sing "Rattlesnake Shake"...also, it was one of the many sets where Stevie backed out of singing "Landslide" at the last minute. Lindsey had already strapped on his acoustic and had sat down , even started the intro...Stevie turned around toward Mick holding her hand over her throat in a "choking" motion & shook her head. Lindsey didn't sound too pleased when he made the public apology for her as he strapped on the usual Stratocaster he played on "Over My Head" back then. Of course, Stevie sang her backgrounds perfectly not only on OMH, but the rest of the set as well.

The band "Mistress", which was co-founded by Dave Walker, opened for them at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on Thanksgiving Night 1975, although by the time they played that show, Dave Walker was no longer in the band.

In '76, I saw them at UCSanta Barbara (the show that was filmed...later became the outdoor live portions of the Rosebud video) Small Wonder & UFO were the opening acts. Small Wonder, from Canada, it was their first of only 3 US gigs ever. (their keyboard player Jimmy Phillips later would join Burton Cummings touring band & still was a member when MY band opened for Burton in '81). And, as for UFO, it was one of the last gigs that lead guitarist Michael Schenker played with the band before going AWOL.

A few months later, Peter Ivers opened for them at the Universal Amphitheatre (later known as the Gibson Theatre, which was just torn down about a month ago or less, to make room for a new Harry Potter ride). I recall seeing Firefall in concert, but have no recollection of where...it might've been as opening act for FMac.

At one of their first shows after Rumours was released, in San Diego in March '77, hometown boy Stephen Bishop opened the show.

The Sanford-Townsend band (RIP Ed Sanford) opened for them during their August '77 run at the Forum. Another near "show stealing" opening band...they were fantastic! Somebody likened them as "a Southern fried Hall & Oates", but I thought they were more along the lines of Wet Willie or Little Feat..extremely tight band with great vocals.

On the early leg of the Tusk tour, I saw Danny Douma open for them, he had Todd Sharp in his band at the time...and almost all of Fleetwood Mac appeared (on different songs, however, not ever all at once) on his one & only album Night Eyes. Then Christopher Cross opened for them during their 2 night stay to close out the tour in Sept '80 at the Hollywood Bowl.

Dave Mason opened for them ("unplugged", just he & Jim Krueger (RIP) on acoustic guitars) at the Forum in '82...the two shows that were filmed & released as the Mirage video.

As John already mentioned, the Cruzados opened for them on the Shake The Cage tour in '87. The Cruzados bass player (Tony Marsico) would later be a member of Rick Vito's band around the time of his Pink & Black album.

When I saw them in '90 on the BTM tour, there was no opening act.

In 1994, at the free concert in Woodley Park in Van Nuys, CA, ex-Byrds founder Roger McGuinn did a solo acoustic set, which due to his incessant banter between EACH SONG almost came off as what we would probably today think was an episode of "Storytellers" on VH1.

Wasn't an opening act at either the 2 shows I saw on The Dance tour in '97, nor when I saw them in 2003.

Haven't seen them since.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is a link (from this site) with tour info and setlists--some supporting acts and other details are listed.

I reference the dates when trying to recall which shows I saw--so many shows over so many decades that I can't always keep it straight. I do not have all of my old tourbooks and tix-sadly.

No support for The Dance that I know of but I only saw the two Detroit shows. I was certain that was the last I/we would see of them. I skipped 2003 but caught the last two tours. I am so happy that I saw them this year--amazing show.

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/...rbooks_70s.htm
Old 12-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
RIP FM Legacy: https://web.archive.org/web/20080430....com/main.html

If you hover over the cities, you'll get a setlist and the names of openers. One of the 1975 dates has them on a bill with ZZ Top (the headliners), Jay Boy Adams, Trooper, Jeff Beck, and Aerosmith(!)

Firefall opened for them on for one 1976 date. They covered Crying In The Night in 1980, unreleased until 1995.
I've actually copied all the information from fmlegacy (including those fleetnotes with support acts and setlists as an appendix) so that if it ACTUALLY disappears for good, it's still around as a download. If interested - http://buckinghamnicksff.blogspot.co...s-details.html

That Penguin one with all the tour dates is mighty helpful though too. Thanks for that link - somehow missed it when rummaging through old sites.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 12-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
In '75 at the Forum, Fleetwood Mac also, it was one of the many sets where Stevie backed out of singing "Landslide" at the last minute. Lindsey had already strapped on his acoustic and had sat down , even started the intro...Stevie turned around toward Mick holding her hand over her throat in a "choking" motion & shook her head. Lindsey didn't sound too pleased when he made the public apology for her as he strapped on the usual Stratocaster he played on "Over My Head" back then. Of course, Stevie sang her backgrounds perfectly not only on OMH, but the rest of the set as well.
Your memories have always amazed me. It sounds like she might have blown her voice on Rhiannon, perhaps? This is a good example of how the rumours got started about Stevie and her throat issues that were rampant in every article around that time and a few years after.