Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Poll for definitive FM songs from 1970-1974

I noticed that there are best of collections for both the Peter Green era and the Buckingham Nicks era, but none for the eras between Kiln House and Heroes. What so you think of the idea of selecting 18-20 songs from Kiln House, Future Games, Bare Trees, Penguin, Mystery to Me, and Heroes are Hard to Find albums, plus any B-sides and non album releases via a series of polls and create our own "best of" of sorts?

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 10-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Senior Ledgie

Heart Bob Welch and Peter Green Eras

In response to the last post, I have always wanted that and most of all Bob wanted it. See what you can do to make it happen. Fleetwood Mac Won't work with me because I have worked so hard to get Bob inducted to the RRHOF so they have deleted him comlpletely from those years. I personally think it is cruel and vindictive, but you can think what you want. I just don't get it. They don't have to like me, but they should all care about Bob Welch and the true "CHAIN" and the true history of FM without deleting so many years that got them where they are today. <3
Old 10-21-2013, 04:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
In response to the last post, I have always wanted that and most of all Bob wanted it. See what you can do to make it happen. Fleetwood Mac Won't work with me because I have worked so hard to get Bob inducted to the RRHOF so they have deleted him comlpletely from those years. I personally think it is cruel and vindictive, but you can think what you want. I just don't get it. They don't have to like me, but they should all care about Bob Welch and the true "CHAIN" and the true history of FM without deleting so many years that got them where they are today. <3
Thank you for your message, Wendy. Unfortunately, I can't really do anything about getting an official release since I am simply a fan, but I can at least fill that hole that was missing in terms of getting a condensed representation of these eras, which are sadly very often overlooked in FM's history. Honestly, I think it's criminal that Bob wasn't inducted (and as a huge, huge Christine fan, saddened and disappointed when I found out she had a major role on this outcome) in the RRHOF, and is overlooked in the band's history.

My main goal with these polls is to determine what songs define this era, and allows people to fill the missing gap.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Songs I think are definitive of this era:

(Edit) When I made my list, I thought the dates were from 1971-1974. From Kiln House, I'd include

Jewel Eyed Judy
Tell Me All the Things You Do

Future Games
Sands Of Time
Show Me a Smile
The Ghost
Sentimental Lady
Spare Me a Little of Your Love
Dust
Remember Me
Revelation
Did You Ever Love Me
Emerald Eyes
Just Crazy Love
Hypnotized
The Way I Feel
Why
Angel
Bermuda Triangle
Come A Little Bit Closer
Silver Heels
Prove Your Love

Last edited by holidayroad; 10-22-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^ That's quite a good list you've got there. Got most of it in my own personal list myself. Others may think differently, though. Which is why I'm suggesting polls like we did in the Christine board.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Where on earth did you get this awesome idea from?

Sounds great! I hope lots from Bare Trees and Mystery to Me qualify.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post

Me too! I love the idea, too!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My list:
(if we're starting with Kiln House...)

Disc 1:
Station Man
Hi Ho Silver
Jewel-Eyed Judy
Buddy's Song
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Dragonfly
Woman Of 1000 Years
Future Games
Sands Of Time
Show Me a Smile
Child Of Mine
Sentimental Lady
Spare Me a Little of Your Love
Dust
Sunny Side Of Heaven

Disc 2:
Dissatisfied
Nightwatch
Remember Me
Revelation
Emerald Eyes
Believe Me
Hypnotized
Miles Away
Why
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Angel
Bermuda Triangle
Come A Little Bit Closer
She's Changing Me
Safe Harbour
Old 10-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A "definitive" collection with songs from these years is a very good idea, but there's some songs from Kiln House and Future Games that I don't know well!!
Here's my list

01. This is the rock
02. Station Man
03. Woman of 1000 years
04. Future Games
05. Child of Mine
06. Sunny Side of Heaven
07. The Ghost
08. Sunny Side of Heaven
09. Sentimental Lady
10. Spare me a little
11. Remember Me
12. Bright Fire
13. Caught in the Rain
14. Hypnotized
15. Forever
16. Heroes are hard to find
17. Coming Home
18. Angel
19. Come A Little Bit Closer
20. Safe Harbour
Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But, the more I think about it...it's really tough to leave anything out. (well, except for Mrs Scarrott's poem and "(I'm A) Roadrunner" )

From Kiln House to Heroes Are Hard To Find there's really not (other than the two mentioned above) a track that I think is NOT "definitive".
Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really wasn't planning to enter into this discussion, but I had two comments...

First of all, I like your list a lot, chiliD - and I like the way you've organized and sequenced the tracks.

Second, two additions that I'd toss in - a couple of relative rarities that I think are worthy of inclusion, "The Purple Dancer" and "Trinity".
Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post

From awesome people. Okay, I wanted to make a sort of "best of" for my personal playlist then thought of the Christine songs poll you did and voila.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
But, the more I think about it...it's really tough to leave anything out. (well, except for Mrs Scarrott's poem and "(I'm A) Roadrunner" )

From Kiln House to Heroes Are Hard To Find there's really not (other than the two mentioned above) a track that I think is NOT "definitive".
And based on the songs lists posted, we really need a poll. I see some common ones, but there are so many different variations and so many great songs in there. Actually, my personal list is sort of close to yours, Chili. Just a few differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I really wasn't planning to enter into this discussion, but I had two comments...

First of all, I like your list a lot, chiliD - and I like the way you've organized and sequenced the tracks.

Second, two additions that I'd toss in - a couple of relative rarities that I think are worthy of inclusion, "The Purple Dancer" and "Trinity".
Coincidentally, I have both those songs on my personal list.

And from the looks of it, I don't think 20 songs are enough (my list is a 2CD one myself). I should expand this to a double disc.

Last edited by applebucked; 10-21-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
From awesome people. Okay, I wanted to make a sort of "best of" for my personal playlist then thought of the Christine songs poll you did and voila.

And based on the songs lists posted, we really need a poll. I see some common ones, but there are so many different variations and so many great songs in there. Actually, my personal list is sort of close to yours, Chili. Just a few differences.

Coincidentally, I have both those songs on my personal list.

And from the looks of it, I don't think 20 songs are enough (my list is a 2CD one myself). I should expand this to a double disc.
Wouldn't it be easier to make a list of songs NOT to be included?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've wanted this for ages, too. It's ridiculous how such a long period of FM history has become so difficult to access in all ways. No iTunes, no Spotify, rarely a place at my local store. And frankly, many the Welch-era albums are filled with lows as well as highs, so grouping all the highs together would be a great way to get more listeners into things.

I think hypothetically there should be a one-disc edition as well as a two-disc, for accessibility. The casual listener would probably find the former less intimidating and be more likely to pick it up and sink his/her teeth into it.

Or maybe 2 discs separately? Perhaps both a "basics" and a "deeper cuts" disc, so you could get one or both?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I've wanted this for ages, too. It's ridiculous how such a long period of FM history has become so difficult to access in all ways. No iTunes, no Spotify, rarely a place at my local store. And frankly, many the Welch-era albums are filled with lows as well as highs, so grouping all the highs together would be a great way to get more listeners into things.

I think hypothetically there should be a one-disc edition as well as a two-disc, for accessibility. The casual listener would probably find the former less intimidating and be more likely to pick it up and sink his/her teeth into it.

Or maybe 2 discs separately? Perhaps both a "basics" and a "deeper cuts" disc, so you could get one or both?
I was thinking the same thing as well. One for the "basics" and one for those who want to sink their teeth deeper.