Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Registered

Default MICE Season??

Oh no. Thank you God for The Ledge which helped me get through 'spider season' in August & September.
Now, October 18, 3:30 am, my cat was all hyper, running jumping, I finally turned on a light, here upstairs in the bedroom I'm in, and she'd caught a mouse. I praised the cat, thanked her, but now she won't come to bed, she usually sleeps on the bed with me unless she isn't feeling well. My cat was current with her vet shots but always has been an inside cat, so was spared one shot cats get- Do I need to take the cat to the vet, is the contact with the mouse going to make her sick? The mouse seemed dead, but I was so freaked out, I quickly wadded it into a bunch of paper towel and stuffed the mouse and paper towel into an box of UltraBrite toothpaste in the garbage,tight fit! I think I'd better go downstairs and get that bag of trash outside...
Is my cat going to get sick from killing the mouse? With her claws, I think. Oh God, is she looking for more and thats why she wont come to the bed, or could she be in pain? She seemed pleased with herself for catching it and lay on the floor in a territorial way cats sometimes will do. Now the cat seems to be in another room, I think upstairs, I didn't hear her little paws go plopping down the stairs. NEVER will I ever rent a house again. Or buy one. Apartments or condos- new ones- for me from now on.
Maybe half a xanax extra will be ok? No, for me, not the cat. Usually I'd be out cold by now, fast asleep, now it's close to 4 am.
My neighbor just told me yesterday her son found out that mice had eaten the wires under his car, the coating used on newer model cars is made of something that mice like to eat, and her son had to had the car rewired underneath at considerable expense. So, a neighbor talks to me about mice yesterday, and tonight, one is going to keep me up all night.
So, much like the spider thread, same questions- is it mouse season and are there preventative measures? I have to leave food and water out for my cat. Will there likely be more mice? Is my cat likely ok or feeling sick so she won't come to bed, or is she just excited and looking for more? Should I notify the vet she came into contact with a mouse? ? I hate living in a house. I want my old apartment back. 3 year lease here, though.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dude you have a cat inside your house?
And it sleeps with you on your bed?
Nicko that's two big problems right there.

Cats were born to eat rats and mice among
other things that I can't metion here because
of the PETA police. For example baby birds
that fall out of their nest. Oops...

Rat season is open at your home because of
the change of seasons. Maybe the rats want
to snuggle with you and your cat.

Just buy you some poison (KEEP THAT AWAY
FROM THE CAT). And some mouse traps and
you'll do fine.

Speaking of rats you should have seen the size
of some of them that used to be by our dairy
barn!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

iamnotafraid - you make me laugh. a whole lot. I like cats and also let mine sleep in the house and in the bed but I like your point of view. Nice and jaded. I mean that is the sweetest smiley-est way possible

Nikolaj- I hope everything works out with your cat. She could be a bit traumatized. Get her a big can of some fancy smancy cat food and give her some time. Maybe a vet trip is in order if it's in the ol' budget. I have no real answers for you but I have some experience to share....which goes something like this:

I have inside/outside cats so they basically do whatever the hell they feel like doing, inside or outside. Well my cat Nicks - the male one who is minus the male parts-once brought me a dead lizard, a dead mouse, and a half dead bird all during the same week. I grounded him and made him stay inside for a while after bringing me the bird. I think he figured it was because it wasn't dead yet. Anywho, Nicks acted crazy for about a week and I was worried sick he caught the cooties. He was bouncing off the wall, literally. He would run down the hall, make a jump for the wall, end up falling and sliding across the tile. No way did I allow him to sleep in my bed. He paid me back for not letting him sleep in the bed by leaving a little homemade surprise in my den. That's when he became an outside cat for a while. Things have calmed down now and Nicks is back to his normal lazy self. I did take him in for a couple shots and my vet didn't seem concerned when I told him about the jumping into the wall thing. Now it's been over a month since the "bringing mommy dead things" week. So far so good.

He asked me for my love
And that was all
Old 10-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Our cat seems to have given up on hunting. He's a sod for bringing baby birds but he's not a mouser. My mum's old cats brought in, between them, a mole, a squirrel, a bag of clothes pegs and a roast ham.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 10-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My cat is perfect, only in the way she kills mice. A couple of winters ago, a few mice had somehow gotten into my house. She kills them, without a single drop of blood, and leaves them next to my back door, for disposal. Scoop em into a dustpan, and sling em way out in the yard.

I hates meeces to pieces!

It is weird though, that she kills them all, without drawing blood. She must strangle them!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You must check out the old 1970's TV movie titled Willard.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

My cat brought up a dead one from the basement...then I found 2 more alive so I relocated them. Found the hole and cemented it. They were super cute, but not in the house! My cat didn't get sick and since this is what they are supposed to do (hunt)I doubt yours will. Mine are indoor cats, but only one has decided to earn his keep.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
Our cat seems to have given up on hunting. He's a sod for bringing baby birds but he's not a mouser. My mum's old cats brought in, between them, a mole, a squirrel, a bag of clothes pegs and a roast ham.
*gigglesnort* Clothes Pegs and a Roast Ham? That's almost cartoon worthy lol. What next? The neighbour's underwear off of the line lol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Dude you have a cat inside your house?
And it sleeps with you on your bed?
Nicko that's two big problems right there.

Cats were born to eat rats and mice among
other things that I can't metion here because
of the PETA police. For example baby birds
that fall out of their nest. Oops...

Rat season is open at your home because of
the change of seasons. Maybe the rats want
to snuggle with you and your cat.

Just buy you some poison (KEEP THAT AWAY
FROM THE CAT). And some mouse traps and
you'll do fine.

Speaking of rats you should have seen the size
of some of them that used to be by our dairy
barn!!!
Off topic, but I love how each of your posts is like a little poem. It's sweet.

Last edited by Silver Springs; 10-18-2010 at 07:29 PM..
Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kena View Post
iamnotafraid - you make me laugh. a whole lot. I like cats and also let mine sleep in the house and in the bed but I like your point of view. Nice and jaded. I mean that is the sweetest smiley-est way possible
Kena,
That's very nice of you to say, I think...

Silver Springs,
Thanks for the compliment.

You all are making me almost blush.