User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, I think Stevie put up with the Tusk dancing and also the Say Goodbye staring. I don't think she hated it. But I don't think it was her cup of tea. She just kind of indulged it, patiently, like a "good wife" and I'm thankful to her.

Bwaaa!! Michele - that is hysterical!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I agree. These details elude me. I have no idea of anything except for the double album became one (at Lindsey's ultimate say, as per Destiny Rules) and that they argued over the title of the album (which is seen in those unused clips from Destiny Rules).

So what, exactly, was the argument and when did it happen?

I've heard tale of their emotions at the end of the tour. So what IS the real story? Is it told in "Cast Away Dreams"?

A-frickin'-men!

I forgot a letter in my post! MOMENT! T at the end. Bad former English major (slaps own wrist).

Well, he was introducing Say Goodbye and referencing their last concert in Atlantic City when he came out and said it was about her (I think before there had been some poetic ramblings about redemption and loss and all that jazz). And then she was goofing around a bit (I have to look up my own notes on this somewhere on my hard drive) and he shook his head and said "too many years" and someone in the audience said "or not enough" and he said it back...looking at her and getting misty. And then he linked pinkies with her and wouldn't let go for a while. (Someone here took a fabulous picture of that and I cropped out everything but their hands and keep it in my home office. Just kind of says a lot about the wacky world of Stevie and Lindsey).
Anyway, it was incredibly sweet. And I remembering being thrilled to have witnessed it (and the other 9 or so shows I went to).

So, I was kinda pissed when Stevie seemed to rewrite history/burst our happy place bubbles. Sometimes, you just want to believe the hogwash about second chances and redemption and buy the dream (hmmm...wasn't someone selling some of those at some point?)
Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Sometimes, you just want to believe the hogwash about second chances and redemption and buy the dream (hmmm...wasn't someone selling some of those at some point?)
Oh, honey - they still are!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
First time I've ever heard Stevie say anything about SHN and I've always wanted a comment from her. She says she thought it was rude at the time but now she sees the humor. I think she's probably always liked it.

Michele
I think Mama's telling lies
wasn't that one of the songs she'd really get into on the SYW tour?
she looked liked she loved that song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post

I love how she uses the term "abrasive" to describe Lindsey's onstage antics. Okay... lobbing a guitar at Stevie (on the Tusk tour) would be considered "abrasive," but what did Lindsey do on SYW that would be considered "abrasive?" She's not referring to the "guitarbation," is she? 'Cause he's still doing that now!
so he IS still guitarbating i thought i was seeing things
so it's not just on SB now is it...GDW too
anything else?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
I think Mama's telling lies
wasn't that one of the songs she'd really get into on the SYW tour?
she looked liked she loved that song!

Well, she has always acted like she liked that song, even before SYW. And she has said she's flattered with NGBA, so if she thinks NGBA means that he wanted to come back to her, I'm pretty sure she thinks SHN meant that and was pleased as punch with it, which is one reason why she didn't complain about it for 20 years.

Actually, she acts like she likes IKINW too and I don't necessarily think she thinks that's about her. She just seems to like the beat and SHN has that same infectious quality when they all sing it together.

She always acted like she disliked Tusk. Too wacky and jungle for her, I guess.

Michele
Old 10-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Registered

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think she minds that.

Michele

She minded it that night, Miss Michele, big time. Pointedly.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-14-2009 at 12:31 AM..
Old 10-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
She minded it that night, Miss Michele, big time. Pointedly.
She didn't want Lindsey to touch her, but I doubt that it had anything to do with sweat.

Michele
Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 AM
Registered

Ahh, thanks, Michele, I understand what you meant, now. Accept my apology, please, I was a tad ( + or -) snarky there, I'm sorry.
I wonder if there's any merit in the theory I touched on in the prior message that SN knows that LB can out-perform her on stage, now, and it makes her feel a bit inadequate. She's wonderful. But she's so limited now, in what she's willing to attempt. LB seems fearless, in comparison.
LB has the innate ability to play guitar brilliantly and, imo, has become the 'better' performer of the two, on the last 2 tours. I like SN more, but I recognize LB works a zillion times harder and displays more talent than SN is willing to even attempt to display now. I prefer her voice to his, but he's improving and she's coasting. His 'NGBA' at the Mohegan Sun this year was wonderfully sung, and mostly I haven't liked LB's voice live, until recently.
During 'The Mirage Tour', the first time I saw the band live, as good as LB was, he just couldn't touch SN in terms of vocal power, presence, and overall 'star quality', with all the good and bad the term implies. In '82, he sang hard on 'The Chain' - she sang back harder, and 10 times better, --again, imo. She stole the show with SOTM -- her backup vocals on GYOW, again, in my opinion, wiped him off the stage. She can't, or won't, do that now. So many reviews note how 'noble' it is she "lets" Lindsey have the spotlight now, I think she's afraid to exert herself for fear her talent is not what it once was. I believe LB believes his talent is what it always was.
It may just be her own disappointment in herself stagnating and LB being willing to still create- and perform- new music that caused pangs between them, on the SYW tour. They made a ton of money, the tour had four 'legs', 2 in the US, then 1 Euro tour, then another US leg-- and they're doing it again right now, so how bad could it have been for her? Maybe she feels the '70s eras conflicts have been so played out for so long that she embellishes whatever drama there was on the 'SYW' tour of '03. They all must know, secretly, how lucky they are to be earning the zillions of dollars they're earning with this rehash tour. No 'real drama' there, I don't think. Just making the best of their earning possibilities, and if SN can't do what she once did on the rock and roll stage, LB seems to be able, so why not?

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-14-2009 at 03:22 AM..
Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
I wonder if there's any merit in the theory I touched on in the prior message that SN knows that LB can out-perform her on stage, now, and it makes her feel a bit inadequate. She's wonderful. But she's so limited now, in what she's willing to attempt. LB seems fearless, in comparison.
I do think this was a factor for Stevie during the SYW tour. I think reading the reviews they got, which mostly slanted towards Lindsey during that tour, was difficult. It's not that everyone loves Lindsey. Many people think he's too much. People resent the Lindsey show and that's not new, even reviewers who saw them in 1975 thought his antics were excessive. But, I would say that 80% of the SYW media reviews I read marvelled over his explosive energy and the crowds were responsive to him. I think this was hard for Stevie, mainly because, for many years she herself was known for her physical abandon on stage.

Today, she concentrates on her voice and the precision of her movements and gestures, which fans love. We don't see physical limitations when we look at her, but she lives with them. Perhaps her mind inflates them. Maybe she feels the absence of those Rhiannon exorcisms more than we do and it makes an FM tour feel inhibiting for her, in a way that tours weren't in the seventies and eighties. I don't think the problem is Lindsey or lack of Christine's presence, as much as it comes from within.

Michele
Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do think this was a factor for Stevie during the SYW tour. I think reading the reviews they got, which mostly slanted towards Lindsey during that tour, was difficult. It's not that everyone loves Lindsey. Many people think he's too much. People resent the Lindsey show and that's not new, even reviewers who saw them in 1975 thought his antics were excessive. But, I would say that 80% of the SYW media reviews I read marvelled over his explosive energy and the crowds were responsive to him. I think this was hard for Stevie, mainly because, for many years she herself was known for her physical abandon on stage.

Today, she concentrates on her voice and the precision of her movements and gestures, which fans love. We don't see physical limitations when we look at her, but she lives with them. Perhaps her mind inflates them. Maybe she feels the absence of those Rhiannon exorcisms more than we do and it makes an FM tour feel inhibiting for her, in a way that tours weren't in the seventies and eighties. I don't think the problem is Lindsey or lack of Christine's presence, as much as it comes from within.

Michele
I have actually thought the same thing for quite some time now and it makes me really sad for her.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I have actually thought the same thing for quite some time now and it makes me really sad for her.
Yes. Luckily the fact that her fans show her how much they love her at every single concert has to help. Plus, they aren't just fans that she had back in the wild, ball of energy days either. When she sees a new generation of people like you standing at the edge of the stage and realizes they are just as thrilled as the fifty year olds are, that's got to feel wonderful for her.

Michele
Old 10-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes. Luckily the fact that her fans show her how much they love her at every single concert has to help. Plus, they aren't just fans that she had back in the wild, ball of energy days either. When she sees a new generation of people like you standing at the edge of the stage and realizes they are just as thrilled as the fifty year olds are, that's got to feel wonderful for her.

Michele
I really hope so. I'd love to bring that woman a slice of happiness considering she's been bringing it to me since I was five. It's a nice concept for me, too.