User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
This is why bands have to play the well known songs, because the majority of the crowd is made up of casual fans. It's a sad fact but it is reality. Think of any band or singer who you only know them by their radio hits. Do you wanna pay your hard earned money to hear them play a bunch of songs you don't know?
agree.

except, they don't usually play every. single. hit. on every single tour. which makes tours almost the same songwise.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Doesn't help matters that their chief hitmaker is, you know, not there.

All I want is for them to rotate at least 1/3 of the songs around. Keep a few staples, but switch that 1/3 around every tour stop.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post

All I want is for them to rotate at least 1/3 of the songs around. Keep a few staples, but switch that 1/3 around every tour stop.
well, i did ask (well, gently nudged!) Mick at the m&g they should do that. he said: "not gonna happen".

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
well, i did ask (well, gently nudged!) Mick at the m&g they should do that. he said: "not gonna happen".
All I want is for them to play a couple of smaller shows where they make it known in advance they are only going to perform songs from their catalogue they have never done before and film it and sell the DVD to the world.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Where's the facepalm smiley when you need it?

Old 09-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's been some talk about whether someone threw a bra up on stage last night at Lindsey and it looks like the rumour is true. You can watch this video and clearly see a bra getting tossed up on stage during Go Your Own Way.

from sallysmith1973
Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
There's been some talk about whether someone threw a bra up on stage last night at Lindsey and it looks like the rumour is true. You can watch this video and clearly see a bra getting tossed up on stage during Go Your Own Way.

from sallysmith1973
lol him following it flying through the air. thank you for finding this!

now if someone would find that kiss during WT from the 3rd London show...

Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
now if someone would find that kiss during WT from the 3rd London show...
what kiss? I guess I miss that story?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
All I want is for them to play a couple of smaller shows where they make it known in advance they are only going to perform songs from their catalogue they have never done before and film it and sell the DVD to the world.
That is a great idea. I don't know about everybody else but the exciting stuff are songs not previously played or songs performed in a new context. And for anyone who thinks that is an unsuccessful idea take a look at Bruce Springsteen - 16 months 223 songs and only 3 performed at every show. Yes he is a very different act but the real fans enjoy the rarities and the bucket list attendees enjoy the more obvious. It also kept it fresh and exciting for the him and the band. Fleetwood Mac have always toured with the exact same set so moving away from that comfort zone will not happen. Ever. But it is still a shame and a one off show or handful of shows with a rare song list would be extraordinary.
Most people on this forum take delight in finding previously unseen footage or demos or live versions.
It would be nice but dream on silly dreamers.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

[QUOTE=UnwoundDreams;1105618][QUOTE=ali101;1105600]There were no side video screens so it would have made it impossible at the back.
Quote:

There were video screens on either side of the stage, it's just that I couldn't see them properly because some metal rigging at the top of the arena was in the way and I had to keep bending down to see it. In the end, I gave up and just watched the stage.

There were a few people my age in my block (16-17 year olds), but the only songs they knew or seemed to know were all from Rumours. A few people said after the show that they were disappointed because the band didn't play Everywhere/Songbird/You Make Loving Fun (mostly Christine songs). I was the only person who cheered when Lindsey mentioned the Tusk album and Stevie the Buckingham/Nicks album. And the faces around me were all blank during the four Tusk songs (the screamer next to me said afterwards, "I didn't even know half the songs they played"). I guess they all just showed up to hear Rumours songs and Landslide and to scream at Lindsey.
I think you are right the Rumours 35 years press coverage seemed to pull people in that's what they were there for but it left 5 other albums for them to ignore! People were 'blank' and that is a good description during the Tusk songs and it was very weird. The crowd were positively raucous and ecstatic during the hits and at the start of Sisters they were banging seats and stamping to the drum intro way too quick because they thought a riotous hit was on the cards only to be muted when they realised they hadn't got a clue what the song was. (And that is such a shame because it was good for the song to be back on the setlist if only for this tour - we had Beautiful child and Storms on the last couple. Now we need another tour with Angel etc)!
It was the same with Not that Funny - it was lost on most as were many songs. But its the same at all concerts and the secret is balance and also looking after the fans. Unfortunately this doesn't happen much since even presales now are money orientated and only really help ticket touts in my opinion. The old pre sales were to fan club members/groups etc but now they are all phone and money organisations - Amex/O2/Vodafone etc and the Live nation presale all of which touts invade and its difficult to get a ticket then when they go on sale to the public either most or the best seats are gone.
I will never understand why someone who has a particular credit card or phone contract should be entitled to preference. Most customers just abuse this and I am sure that has contributed to the excessive number of tickets at massively inflated costs. For tonights show in Manchester they want £1380 or $2241 for block 115 - side near stage. Some people can afford this - I cant. So instead of being able to get to several shows I have been limited to one so I hope to goodness its not their last.
It seems as if a lot of people in the crowd are simply ticking boxes - they saw Fleetwood Mac live. That's okay bums on seats are better than empty seats but its a shame that you ended up in the gods. I was at the side and it was a good view of the stage and I'm so pleased that there were screens - I just couldn't see them at all but its a shame if the arena structure prevented you from seeing them.

20130929_195914 res smaller2.jpg
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali101 View Post
That is a great idea. I don't know about everybody else but the exciting stuff are songs not previously played or songs performed in a new context. And for anyone who thinks that is an unsuccessful idea take a look at Bruce Springsteen - 16 months 223 songs and only 3 performed at every show. Yes he is a very different act but the real fans enjoy the rarities and the bucket list attendees enjoy the more obvious. It also kept it fresh and exciting for the him and the band. Fleetwood Mac have always toured with the exact same set so moving away from that comfort zone will not happen. Ever. But it is still a shame and a one off show or handful of shows with a rare song list would be extraordinary.
Most people on this forum take delight in finding previously unseen footage or demos or live versions.
It would be nice but dream on silly dreamers.
nobody thinks that's bad or unsuccessful idea. except for the Mac. that's exactly what i told Mick at a m&g "no reason for you to be like Grateful Dead but you can be like Bruce. he said, not gonna happen, not with the mac, we are not that kind of band. had a feeling he was regretting they are not while saying that, but obviously it's not up to him. Stevie and Lindsey seem to hold all the cards there, and they have their setlists set in stone.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Before Stevie and Lindsey joined, they didn't seem to have a set setlist. Even the White Album tour had some sort of variation to it. I think it started with the Rumours tour.

Meanwhile, enjoy the Buckingham Perfect every time I post.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Before Stevie and Lindsey joined, they didn't seem to have a set setlist. Even the White Album tour had some sort of variation to it. I think it started with the Rumours tour.

Meanwhile, enjoy the Buckingham Perfect every time I post.
probably because at the beginning of the white album tour, Stevie and Lindsey were just hired hands.

(i think their status has changed some time during that tour into actual band members, but not before?)

Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What they could do is have set songs at each space in the setlist, and then jumble it up each night. For example, if we use the current set:

Second Hand News/Monday Morning
The Chain
Dreams
Sad Angel
Rhiannon
Not That Funny/I Know I'm Not Wrong/What Makes You Think You're The One
Tusk
Sisters of the Moon/Angel
Sara
Big Love
Landslide
Never Going Back Again/Go Insane/Crystal
Without You
Gypsy/Straight Back/Seven Wonders
Eyes of the World/Blue Letter/Book of Love
Gold Dust Woman
I'm So Afraid
Stand Back
Go Your Own Way

Encore:

World Turning/Say You Love Me
Don't Stop

Silver Springs
Say Goodbye/Goodbye Baby

Then each night, just pick the tracks they want to play in that slot
Old 10-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually that's what they should be doing. (but in your list, Straight Back and SYLM need to have Christine there.)