User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I definitely agree with everything you said. In addition, Stevie said publicly she should have quit when Lindsey did. 1988-1995 Fleetwood Mac was just a caricature of itself. That's not because the members had changed, but because the band was trying to pretend like it hadn't even happened.

While I'm partial to the Rumours lineup, I think given the chance, the band could have really made some cool music with Rick Vito. In my eyes, Billy Burnette was what made the whole thing cheesy. They didn't need another guitarist. I don't think Billy's style complemented the Mac's at that point either. His presence muddled what possibly could have been an interesting transition. I think Rick's solo song "Intuition" is a good example of how his distinct style could have been exploited within the Mac.
You are spot on with that assessment. Rick was a fantastic addition to the band. Billy is also a talented guy, but his 'Vegas showman' persona didn't fit Fleetwood Mac's style. It sort of reminds when they hired Bob Walker as a front man. It would have been a very different band and album without Billy.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
You are spot on with that assessment. Rick was a fantastic addition to the band. Billy is also a talented guy, but his 'Vegas showman' persona didn't fit Fleetwood Mac's style. It sort of reminds when they hired Bob Walker as a front man. It would have been a very different band and album without Billy.
Boo. *thumbs down*

Matt
Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
TOTALL agree. Hell, I would've rather had Richard Dashut back at the helm, but I guess he was too busy with Lindsey. Patrick Leonard, who produced Love Shines and Heart of Stone for the box set would've been better, too.

I disagree somewhat with the last statement. I agree it didn't stand a chance, but it had nothing to do with band personnel. At the time, Dave made perfect sense, considering the ties he, Billy, and obviously Bekka had with Delaney & Bonnie. However, I agree that as time went on, he became increasingly irrelevant to the band. I think had Bekka and Billy been given creative reign over the band (which happened when everybody else joined), it could've worked. I doubt it would've been commercially successful by Fleetwood Mac standards, but I think it could've been more interesting than what we got. Ultimately, though, it didn't stand a shot because Lindsey was back in the picture by that point, trying to get the Big Mac back together (he says otherwise, but c'mon).
And, if Fleetwood Mac had been paying attention, their constant "biggest rivals", the Eagles, took a "modern country" route and look where it got THEM. Had they "let Bekka & Billy BE Bekka & Billy" and gone that route instead of rehashing the Rumours type (soured) formula, things might be a WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT now in 2010 than what "IS".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Billy? "Vegas Showman"?? Are we referring to the same Billy Burnette? HUH?

"Bob" Walker???? Don't remember ever seeing HIS name on a Fleetwood Mac album. Now, "DAVE" Walker...that's a different story.

Ok...didn't quote everybody, time constraints, but on the subject of "Billy was already on board before Lindsey quit"....yes, but he was basically going to be in the role that Neale Haywood has now (or the same role he's currently filling with John Fogerty), not a full on member of the band. He had already been part of Lindsey's backup band when he did "Trouble" on Saturday Night Live in 1981 as well as being a member of Mick's Zoo, etc....so when they were adding musicians for the '87 tour, he was the logical choice. When Lindsey quit and Mick "promoted" Billy to "member", Billy knew he couldn't fully handle the guitar requirements, so he suggested Rick, who he had been working with on a couple of projects (Roy Orbison and a solo project) at that juncture.

Oh, and since it's ALMOST that time...HAPPY NEW YEAR to all those in the Central Time Zone....and is there anybody still standing in the Eastern Time Zone?? Time to head out and join a New Year's Eve party in progress...so HAPPY NEW YEAR to the Mountain & Pacific Time Zones a few hours early! I'm outta here...see y'all in 2010!
Old 01-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

chiliD, have I told you lately that I love you?

Old 01-01-2010, 05:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky View Post
chiliD, have I told you lately that I love you?

For being a curmudgeon?

Old 01-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Absolutely. It's what I love about both of you.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We're the bitter, disgruntled trio!

I, pretty much, am only bitter, towards fans of a certain member of FM. I can't STAND about 30% of them. The rose colored glasses, through which they view the band(and shun all other incarnations), makes me want to vomit, ......on them!
Old 01-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm right there with you, Homie. Though I think your 30% estimate is a bit low, TBQH.

Um, yeah... okay. Thanks for the input. Whatever. I' m not new here, dude.
I was trying to appear NICE, with my admittedly low estimate. There are fans of said member, that I love, too. I'm POSITIVE Vicky, that we can't stand, the same ones!
Old 01-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I was trying to appear NICE, with my admittedly low estimate. There are fans of said member, that I love, too. I'm POSITIVE Vicky, that we can't stand, the same ones!
Oh absolutely. I am quite sure that you and I both despise the same people. And we probably love some of the same fans of that certain band member as well...

...even if those damn 'tuckians ruin everything!
Old 01-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh absolutely. I am quite sure that you and I both despise the same people. And we probably love some of the same fans of that certain band member as well...

...even if those damn 'tuckians ruin everything!
Yeah, I always try to buffer my bitterness towards those fans, so they don't think I hate them all. Although 'tucky knows I love her anyway...
Old 01-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I always try to buffer my bitterness towards those fans, so they don't think I hate them all. Although 'tucky knows I love her anyway...
I'm not good at concealing my bitter heart when it comes to that (or anything, really), so I typically just try to avoid the subject altogether.

Well, these days I do anyway. Pre-3/26, not so much.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not good at concealing my bitter heart when it comes to that (or anything, really), so I typically just try to avoid the subject altogether.

Well, these days I do anyway. Pre-3/26, not so much.
These are the reasons I love and miss you both..
Old 01-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
These are the reasons I love and miss you both..
We're baaaccckkkkk! At least in some capacity. And you're a big reason why I came back, too! It became obvious, that you weren't going to join us, on the other boards....

Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
We're baaaccckkkkk! At least in some capacity. And you're a big reason why I came back, too! It became obvious, that you weren't going to join us, on the other boards....

Haha... I can only handle so much..
Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Haha... I can only handle so much..
There were a select few, that I missed the entire time I was gone. I know Mary Anne rarely posts here anymore. I missed her, too.