User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you should go. no brainer. it's Lindsey!
Elle, I went to go buy tickets last night and they were completely sold-out! Damn.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoetinmyhear View Post
Maybe we'll get lucky and we can beg him to play one of the new Fleetwood tunes. Unlikely but he's been open to audience begging on a few rare occasions.
If were in his shoes, I would find it very annoying hearing fans beg and request anything, especially for new songs that are so far from being finished and released. It shows little respect for how he planned the performance.

Consider, with some sensitivity, that Lindsey is a perfectionist, and not one who would loosely abide to requests, and perform songs off the cuff. Some artists are amiable to it, but that goes against his established character and work ethic.

If, by a long shot, he did perform a new song, he would have prepared for it. It's his choice, not some objectionable audience member. It would be unprecedented if a new and unreleased/unfinished Fleetwood Mac song made it's debut as a Lindsey Buckingham solo song.

The best I would hope for is if he took stock in his solo work, with a good sampling from all of his solo albums -- songs he hasn't performed in a while, or has never performed. You would think he'd want take a breather from all the songs he's been performing with Fleetwood Mac, and do something special and unique. But I would bet money that Big Love, I'm So Afraid, Go Your Own Way, Never Going Back Again, I Know I'm Not Wrong, and Tusk will remain as the mainstays in his set.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-08-2015 at 06:55 AM..
Old 01-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
If were in his shoes, I would find it very annoying hearing fans beg and request anything, especially for new songs that are so far from being finished and released. It shows little respect for how he planned the performance.

Consider, with some sensitivity, that Lindsey is a perfectionist, and not one who would loosely abide to requests, and perform songs off the cuff. Some artists are amiable to it, but that goes against his established character and work ethic.

If, by a long shot, he did perform a new song, he would have prepared for it. It's his choice, not some objectionable audience member. It would be unprecedented if a new and unreleased/unfinished Fleetwood Mac song made it's debut as a Lindsey Buckingham solo song.

The best I would hope for is if he took stock in his solo work, with a good sampling from all of his solo albums -- songs he hasn't performed in a while, or has never performed. You would think he'd want take a breather from all the songs he's been performing with Fleetwood Mac, and do something special and unique. But I would bet money that Big Love, I'm So Afraid, Go Your Own Way, Never Going Back Again, I Know I'm Not Wrong, and Tusk will remain as the mainstays in his set.
I can certainly respect and understand this line of thinking but I don't think it holds up to scrutiny. First and foremost Lindsey has, as mentioned, and on rare occasions, actually played to fan requests - Bwana, the first time Stephanie was played, even the small bit of Frozen Love he and Stevie tried out at Soundstage. Secondly, he is the band member most interested in new music which he proved pre-Christine rejoining with the EP and has seemingly only become more intent upon it since her return. We believe the resistance he *may* be getting from some camps is that new music isn't anything the fans are interested in and it might be nice to know we want to hear the new stuff and to the extent we want to hear the new stuff (even Live!)

Thirdly, I believe your tone might be a bit hostile in the first paragraph and your use of the word objectionable. I think you are confusing someone calling out for something new or a deep cut to the drunk guy yelling "go your own way" after every song. There is a difference and they are miles apart. Lastly your point about a new song being debuted live via Lindsey solo - completely true. That said there has been only ONE new release since Lindsey has toured regularly so we're in new territory. Also I would point you to the Best Buy tour 97 CD in which each band member had a song listed with a solo credit and Lindsey's was Steal Your Heart Away which we all likely know ended up as a Fleetwood Mac song on Say You Will - not live but actually a precedence for a song debut as solo.

Apologies if I misread your tone and I do agree that you don't want to disrespect the thought that he will have already put into coming up with a setlist but I don't believe this is a band or person that shouldn't hear that we don't just need Go Your Own Way, Trouble, Tusk, Go Insane, etc.

"My songs don't get recorded unless I know they're really going to be good and I'm really going to like them ...so....but they are, you know, ultimately, slightly looney." -Stevie Nicks
Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

huh? didn't we just discuss this here http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...1&postcount=75 -

Quote:
you made me dig out that recording from 2012, where after fans' yelling bunch of requests like Rodeo, Red Rover, Underground, among others, he started describing his thinking about how to do the request portion of the show - http://www.mediafire.com/watch/2kqlx...st_portion.wmv

this was not the only time he talked about this and it was evolving a bit, since request yelling happened pretty often during 2012 tour - resulting in Rock Away Blind (multiple times), Rodeo, and a part of Walk a Thin Line all performed per request. for never before (or after) performed live Walk a Thin Line, he said he actually did more than one line he initially thought he'd do since once he started playing it he ended up remembering more and doing the whole verse... and that he would have done more if he could remember plus he insisted he messed up the lyrics. so yeah he may not remember every single whole song, or he might pre-select some possible requests, or wait till someone yells several he actually wants to do, but those wouldn't be Big Love or Go Insane since he would still have 2/3 of the show with whatever mainstays he wants to do. the way he talked about it, requests would comprise maybe a third of the show, and could be some of the rare or never before performed songs.
if you haven't yet, maybe listening to the recording i linked to will make it more understandable for you - the recording starts with LB commenting how there is this group of guys who are always trying to get him to do stuff he doesn't necessarily want to do. listen to his tone, it's definitely not the one of feeling disrespected.

i suspect he is not planning this performance too much, he probably ran into Judd last week and said yes sure i'll do it, on the fly, since his performance was not announced when this date was first booked but the expensive tickets sold up within hours after Judd tweeted that Lindsey has been added to the show. i suspect there will be others performing too, so he probably doesn't need to plan the whole set. i would be shocked if he did GYOW or ISA, at least not the way he was doing them during OMS; i think he'll do purely acoustic set like he did at previous event he did with Judd (which was This is 40 opening party).

but either way i'm curious and can't wait to hear the reports from people who are going! how cool is it that you all get to unexpectedly see Lindsey solo in the middle of the Mac tour!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can see how if it's done in an obnoxious way it could be annoying to the artist, and maybe to Lindsey's need for control… but I think he's mellowed out a whole lot over the years, and honestly, people calling out for certain of your songs, especially the songs that AREN"T the big hits, is kind of flattering, and I think he may also see it that way. People are actually aware of your deeper cuts, like them, want to hear them.. what better way to know that your music is getting out there to "the right ears" and is appreciated. There has to be some sense of satisfaction in that.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

tonight's the night - can't wait to hear the impressions!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-13-2015, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice. Thanks for the tweets.

Elle, when you predicted the songs would be NGBA, Big Love and Go Insane, where were you getting Go Insane from?

I mean I know he would do that connected to Big Love, but he hasn't in awhile.

Michele
Old 01-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Nice. Thanks for the tweets.

Elle, when you predicted the songs would be NGBA, Big Love and Go Insane, where were you getting Go Insane from?

I mean I know he would do that connected to Big Love, but he hasn't in awhile.

Michele
nowhere. was just pulling out songs that he almost always does acoustically on his own, even when he is with the band. forgot about SUD, that's his solo showcase almost as much as BL. glad he did that one and not Trouble.

can't wait for a few people who were there to post some details. apparently he started by saying that it's a school night so he'll just do 3 songs and get out of there. (that getting outta here is as bad as burning the bridges! he never learns )

and he had to stop the song and go back to adjust his own amplifier while announcing Stan is already on the road so couldn't be there. i like spontaneous moments like that. and reinforces what vivfox said, how he really didn't have to do this, and had to be completely self-sufficient and tech-less, yet he went and did it anyway. i like that.

wonder whether 2 guitars he had with him are back-ups or will they go on the road with him, considering the rest of the equipment is probably already packed and on its way.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i'm sure it will be trouble, ngba, bl and gi. i've heard all of those enough times already.

if i lived in LA, i'd go anyway though.
had to do some translating there for a minute elle but I got it
Old 01-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

can't wait for a few people who were there to post some details. apparently he started by saying that it's a school night so he'll just do 3 songs and get out of there.
It's a school night? So, he has to tuck the kids into bed or something? Make their lunches for the next day, make sure there's left over turkey and a juice box in the fridge?

Michele
Old 01-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
It's a school night? So, he has to tuck the kids into bed or something? Make their lunches for the next day, make sure there's left over turkey and a juice box in the fridge?

Michele
Makes me wonder how old the audience was...
Old 01-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Show was good. I should have done more research since apparently the Judd and friends shows are usually a few folks doing about 30 minutes each so there were three stand up sets (Judd, Kevin Nealon, and Chris D'Elia) as well as Lindsey's performance - he went up between Kevin and Chris. I was a bit disappointed since I think the show was sold as Lindsey headlining a Judd and friends night whereas he was onstage *maybe* 15 minutes compared to everyone else doing at least twice that (the overall show was a little more than 2 hours). All that said, he did great and it was just him (as mentioned no assistants, no roadies, nothing) and the comedy bits were really great. Had I gone in expecting this format I think the night would have been amazing and it was for charity so I'll keep my disappointments grounded.

The Audience age was a good mix - I'd say it was majority people in their 30s.

"My songs don't get recorded unless I know they're really going to be good and I'm really going to like them ...so....but they are, you know, ultimately, slightly looney." -Stevie Nicks
Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The Show was good. I should have done more research since apparently the Judd and friends shows are usually a few folks doing about 30 minutes each so there were three stand up sets (Judd, Kevin Nealon, and Chris D'Elia) as well as Lindsey's performance - he went up between Kevin and Chris. I was a bit disappointed since I think the show was sold as Lindsey headlining a Judd and friends night whereas he was onstage *maybe* 15 minutes compared to everyone else doing at least twice that (the overall show was a little more than 2 hours). All that said, he did great and it was just him (as mentioned no assistants, no roadies, nothing) and the comedy bits were really great. Had I gone in expecting this format I think the night would have been amazing and it was for charity so I'll keep my disappointments grounded.

The Audience age was a good mix - I'd say it was majority people in their 30s.
thanks for reporting back. yeah it seems Judd does these shows every few months, and always has 3-4 acts as a part of it, but i have no idea whether they are mostly unannounced like it was this time, when Lindsey and Judd were really the only ones mentioned and as you said Lindsey was announced as a headliner and that immediately sold all those expensive tickets, or it varies from time to time. glad you had good time anyway!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All that said, he did great and it was just him (as mentioned no assistants, no roadies, nothing) and the comedy bits were really great. Had I gone in expecting this format I think the night would have been amazing and it was for charity so I'll keep my disappointments grounded.
Thanks for telling us about it. I can imagine sitting through 3 other acts that had 30 minutes and then Lindsey only having 15 could be a little disappointing, especially when your expectations were different.

Glad you got to see him anyway. Michele