Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A Biased, Long Reply

A biased, personal "essential" viewing and listening primer (other than the official FM and solo albums - not meant to be completely comprehensive, as I am certain I left out many items):
Vinyl Releases:
• Buckingham Nicks Album
• Cool Water (classic country-western song, released as a B-Side of Gypsy in 1982)
Live Officially Released Songs:
• Never Going Back Again (Rare on Air Radio CD – an excellent re-working of the Rumours Classic released in 1993)
• Trouble, Down on Rodeo – Live acoustic solo versions released via Rhapsody Website
• This Nearly Was Mine/Street of Dreams - Live acoustic solo version from a Dutch Radio show released as additional tracks on a European CD of the Soul Drifter single
• Love Minus Zero/No Limit – Cover of the Bob Dylan is on the Deluxe (2 CD) version of Say You Will
• Seeds We Sow Electric (Amazon Exclusive)
• End of Time Acoustic (Amazon Exclusive)
• Sleeping Around the Corner – iTunes Exclusive
Demos and Outtakes (official and bootleg versions):
• Mirage Outtakes (internet bootlegs) – Eyes of the World, Down Endless Street, Blue Monday (cover of the Fats Domino Classic)
• Rumours Demos and Outtakes (officially released) – Never Going Back Again/Brushes (working title) demos, Doesn’t Anything Last (outtake), Gold Dust Woman demo (although a Stevie song, great acoustic version – gives insights into the song production, which is further exemplified on the DVD “Classic Albums” – see below)
• Rolling Stones Covers – I Am Waiting (officially released on Under The Skin CD), She Smiled Sweetly (officially released on Seeds We Sow), Gotta Get Away (Gift of Screws Demo), Blue Turns to Gray, Singer Not the Song
• Big Yellow Taxi – Cover of the Joni Mitchell classic
• My Little Demon – Studio version
• Say Goodbye – (Gift of Screws demo) – although re-recorded and mastered for Say You Will, I actually prefer the demo version of this song, although the live version with Stevie Nicks is good too
• I really like the rocking demo Steve’s Riff (aka Wear You Down). I’m hoping that it becomes a finished song one day.
Soundtracks:
• National Lampoon Soundtrack – Holiday Road, Dancin’ Across the USA [Holiday Road released on the Lindsey Buckingham Words and Music promotional CD]
• Back to the Future Soundtrack – Time Bomb Town
• With Honors Soundtrack – On the Wrong Side
• This is 40 Soundtrack – Sick of You, Brother & Sister (with Norah Jones), She Acts Like You
Live Television Performances:
• Saturday Night Live – 1982, Bwana, Trouble (good live versions, but LB is obviously high)
• Don’t Look Down – Tonight Show 1993
• Countdown – Letterman Show 1993
• Soul Drifter – Letterman 1993
• PBS Centerstage – 1993 (close to a full concert, with some interviews included)
• VH1 Centerstage – same taping as above, includes full intro to Don’t Look Down, Tusk and a spoken introduction to Never Going Back Again
• ABC/A&E In Concert – 1993 - same taping, different edits and commercial videos included, include excellent solo acoustic versions of Soul Drifter, Never Going Back Again and This Nearly Was Mine/Street of Dreams
• Regis and Kathy Lee – 1993 - another great live acoustic version of Soul Drifter
• ABC New Years Eve Special 2001/2002 – LB’s infamous cover of George Harrison’s Here Comes The Sun
• Shut Us Down – 2007 - Conan O’Brien Show
• Private Sessions – 2008 – Songs (with band) from Gift of Screws era with interviews
Documentaries:
• Tusk Documentary – 1979 (although the overdubbed audience cheering on the concert footage is annoying)
• Fleetwood Mac Going Home – 1993 Disney Channel (good history of the entire FM saga – up to that point in time)
• Classic Albums – Rumours – 1997 (insights into song production)
• Behind the Music – Lindsey Buckingham, 2001
• Destiny Rules – 2004 – additional insights into song production and band dynamics
• Live At Bass Performance Hall – Extra Documentary – insight into record deals /going independent
Video Concerts:
• Fleetwood Mac Rosebud Concert (re-released on DVD as part of the 35th anniversary collection)
• Fleetwood Mac Mirage Concert 1982 (HBO, released on VHS tape, bootleg versions on DVD)
• Fleetwood Mac – The Dance 1997
• PBS Soundstage 2001 – Extra songs on the DVD – Down on Rodeo, I Am Waiting
• Fleetwood Mac – Live in Boston 2004
• Live At Bass Performance Hall 2007
• CMT Crossroads with Little Big Town 2007
• Songs From the Small Machine 2001
Audio Concerts:
• Live at the Coach House – 1992
• One Man Show – 2012 – excellent live versions of Stephanie and Bleed To Love Her

Miscellaneous/Trivia:
• Midnight Special from 1975 has a version of Christine McVie’s Why that really illustrates how the three singer’s voices complement one another (“voices wrap around each other”)
• The Chain – 25 Years Box Sets includes Goodbye Angel, Make Me a Mask (my least favorite LB song), and Teen Beat (cover of Sandy Nelson’s instrumental from 1959)
• I really like LB’s influence and production skills on Stevie’s Sara and Gypsy. The live version of Sara on the Fleetwood Mac Live is my favorite (especially, LB’s guitar playing).
• LB cites Elvis as an early influence and LB produced a Christine McVie cover of the Elvis staple Can’t Help Falling In Love for the soundtrack for the film A Fine Mess.
• On the Live at the Coach House audio concert (and on the PBS Center Stage video performance), LB and his “army of guitar players” take turns playing mini solos – one of my favorite live performances to rock out to.
• The Elizabethtown soundtrack contains a longer uncut version of Shut Us Down.
• LB has appeared on many TV shows not listed above where he plays songs (solo and with the band) and is interviewed, including Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen DeGeneres, Tavis Smiley, Jimmy Fallon and Charlie Rose. The Charlie Rose interview from 1993 is available on DVD.
• LB toured as a backup guitarist with the Kingston Trio. He dedicated All My Sorrows (which LB covered, as did many bands including the Kingston Trio) to Dave Guard, who passed away while LB was recording Out of the Cradle. LB’s song Jonny Stew is a great rocker about John Stewart from the Kingston Trio. LB and Stevie Nicks recorded with Stewart on his album Bombs Away Dream Babies. Stewart later recorded Liddy Buck about LB. LB appears and performs on the Kingston Trio TV show from 1982 (available on DVD).
• LB has performed on many artists’ records, including Don Henley, Johnny Cash and one of his idols, Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame.
• At Stevie’s America Heart Institute (AHI), LB, Waddy Wachtel and others played an all-acoustic version of Gypsy (which I would like to see performed live that way, one day)
• LB once appeared on stage with REM and played guitar on Everybody Hurts
• Before LB solo shows and FM shows, they play acoustic instrumentals of several of LB songs. According to Neale Heywood, they were just sitting around one day and recorded these (along with Brett Tuggle).
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
A biased, personal "essential" viewing and listening primer (other than the official FM and solo albums - not meant to be completely comprehensive, as I am certain I left out many items):
Vinyl Releases:
• Buckingham Nicks Album
• Cool Water (classic country-western song, released as a B-Side of Gypsy in 1982)
Live Officially Released Songs:
• Never Going Back Again (Rare on Air Radio CD – an excellent re-working of the Rumours Classic released in 1993)
• Trouble, Down on Rodeo – Live acoustic solo versions released via Rhapsody Website
• This Nearly Was Mine/Street of Dreams - Live acoustic solo version from a Dutch Radio show released as additional tracks on a European CD of the Soul Drifter single
• Love Minus Zero/No Limit – Cover of the Bob Dylan is on the Deluxe (2 CD) version of Say You Will
• Seeds We Sow Electric (Amazon Exclusive)
• End of Time Acoustic (Amazon Exclusive)
• Sleeping Around the Corner – iTunes Exclusive
Demos and Outtakes (official and bootleg versions):
• Mirage Outtakes (internet bootlegs) – Eyes of the World, Down Endless Street, Blue Monday (cover of the Fats Domino Classic)
• Rumours Demos and Outtakes (officially released) – Never Going Back Again/Brushes (working title) demos, Doesn’t Anything Last (outtake), Gold Dust Woman demo (although a Stevie song, great acoustic version – gives insights into the song production, which is further exemplified on the DVD “Classic Albums” – see below)
• Rolling Stones Covers – I Am Waiting (officially released on Under The Skin CD), She Smiled Sweetly (officially released on Seeds We Sow), Gotta Get Away (Gift of Screws Demo), Blue Turns to Gray, Singer Not the Song
• Big Yellow Taxi – Cover of the Joni Mitchell classic
• My Little Demon – Studio version
• Say Goodbye – (Gift of Screws demo) – although re-recorded and mastered for Say You Will, I actually prefer the demo version of this song, although the live version with Stevie Nicks is good too
• I really like the rocking demo Steve’s Riff (aka Wear You Down). I’m hoping that it becomes a finished song one day.
Soundtracks:
• National Lampoon Soundtrack – Holiday Road, Dancin’ Across the USA [Holiday Road released on the Lindsey Buckingham Words and Music promotional CD]
• Back to the Future Soundtrack – Time Bomb Town
• With Honors Soundtrack – On the Wrong Side
• This is 40 Soundtrack – Sick of You, Brother & Sister (with Norah Jones), She Acts Like You
Live Television Performances:
• Saturday Night Live – 1982, Bwana, Trouble (good live versions, but LB is obviously high)
• Don’t Look Down – Tonight Show 1993
• Countdown – Letterman Show 1993
• Soul Drifter – Letterman 1993
• PBS Centerstage – 1993 (close to a full concert, with some interviews included)
• VH1 Centerstage – same taping as above, includes full intro to Don’t Look Down, Tusk and a spoken introduction to Never Going Back Again
• ABC/A&E In Concert – 1993 - same taping, different edits and commercial videos included, include excellent solo acoustic versions of Soul Drifter, Never Going Back Again and This Nearly Was Mine/Street of Dreams
• Regis and Kathy Lee – 1993 - another great live acoustic version of Soul Drifter
• ABC New Years Eve Special 2001/2002 – LB’s infamous cover of George Harrison’s Here Comes The Sun
• Shut Us Down – 2007 - Conan O’Brien Show
• Private Sessions – 2008 – Songs (with band) from Gift of Screws era with interviews
Documentaries:
• Tusk Documentary – 1979 (although the overdubbed audience cheering on the concert footage is annoying)
• Fleetwood Mac Going Home – 1993 Disney Channel (good history of the entire FM saga – up to that point in time)
• Classic Albums – Rumours – 1997 (insights into song production)
• Behind the Music – Lindsey Buckingham, 2001
• Destiny Rules – 2004 – additional insights into song production and band dynamics
• Live At Bass Performance Hall – Extra Documentary – insight into record deals /going independent
Video Concerts:
• Fleetwood Mac Rosebud Concert (re-released on DVD as part of the 35th anniversary collection)
• Fleetwood Mac Mirage Concert 1982 (HBO, released on VHS tape, bootleg versions on DVD)
• Fleetwood Mac – The Dance 1997
• PBS Soundstage 2001 – Extra songs on the DVD – Down on Rodeo, I Am Waiting
• Fleetwood Mac – Live in Boston 2004
• Live At Bass Performance Hall 2007
• CMT Crossroads with Little Big Town 2007
• Songs From the Small Machine 2001
Audio Concerts:
• Live at the Coach House – 1992
• One Man Show – 2012 – excellent live versions of Stephanie and Bleed To Love Her

Miscellaneous/Trivia:
• Midnight Special from 1975 has a version of Christine McVie’s Why that really illustrates how the three singer’s voices complement one another (“voices wrap around each other”)
• The Chain – 25 Years Box Sets includes Goodbye Angel, Make Me a Mask (my least favorite LB song), and Teen Beat (cover of Sandy Nelson’s instrumental from 1959)
• I really like LB’s influence and production skills on Stevie’s Sara and Gypsy. The live version of Sara on the Fleetwood Mac Live is my favorite (especially, LB’s guitar playing).
• LB cites Elvis as an early influence and LB produced a Christine McVie cover of the Elvis staple Can’t Help Falling In Love for the soundtrack for the film A Fine Mess.
• On the Live at the Coach House audio concert (and on the PBS Center Stage video performance), LB and his “army of guitar players” take turns playing mini solos – one of my favorite live performances to rock out to.
• The Elizabethtown soundtrack contains a longer uncut version of Shut Us Down.
• LB has appeared on many TV shows not listed above where he plays songs (solo and with the band) and is interviewed, including Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen DeGeneres, Tavis Smiley, Jimmy Fallon and Charlie Rose. The Charlie Rose interview from 1993 is available on DVD.
• LB toured as a backup guitarist with the Kingston Trio. He dedicated All My Sorrows (which LB covered, as did many bands including the Kingston Trio) to Dave Guard, who passed away while LB was recording Out of the Cradle. LB’s song Jonny Stew is a great rocker about John Stewart from the Kingston Trio. LB and Stevie Nicks recorded with Stewart on his album Bombs Away Dream Babies. Stewart later recorded Liddy Buck about LB. LB appears and performs on the Kingston Trio TV show from 1982 (available on DVD).
• LB has performed on many artists’ records, including Don Henley, Johnny Cash and one of his idols, Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame.
• At Stevie’s America Heart Institute (AHI), LB, Waddy Wachtel and others played an all-acoustic version of Gypsy (which I would like to see performed live that way, one day)
• LB once appeared on stage with REM and played guitar on Everybody Hurts
• Before LB solo shows and FM shows, they play acoustic instrumentals of several of LB songs. According to Neale Heywood, they were just sitting around one day and recorded these (along with Brett Tuggle).
WOW, thank you for this! I might print this out and cross off this list as I go. Some things on here I've already seen via DVD's or torrents.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
He arranged the background vocals and sounds really great on Tom Petty's Walls
So glad you reminded me. Such a great song (especially cranked up nice and loud!!)! I've seen people discuss this song online numerous times, and the praise is always for the "circus version", featuring Lindsey. Yet another case of Lindsey taking a good song to a whole different level, and making it amazing
Old 05-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What about this!!
From the Unleashed tour, the non-accoustic version of Go Insane!!

Regards!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
What about this!!

Regards!
I get in discussions with people sometimes about wanting original GI or acoustic GI...SWS electric, or SWS acoustic. I can never decide. I love all the versions, and they're so drastically different that I wish he could play all in the same concert/setlist, but I guess it would be weird to take up 4 songs spots with, technically, only two songs
A girl can dream though, right?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Yet another case of Lindsey taking a good song to a whole different level, and making it amazing
Look at the difference between the old Sentimental Lady and Lindsey's. I mean, people can argue that it became a hit because FM was so famous at the time, but just listening to the two, side by side, I think the later production is quite superior. Sorry Bare Trees fans. I like both, but . . .

Michele
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Acoustic Intro

Quote:
I get in discussions with people sometimes about wanting original GI or acoustic GI...SWS electric, or SWS acoustic. I can never decide. I love all the versions, and they're so drastically different that I wish he could play all in the same concert/setlist, but I guess it would be weird to take up 4 songs spots with, technically, only two songs
I have always thought it would be nice to have an acoustic intro for Soul Drifter, Go Insane and Big Love and then launch into the ensemble versions (similar to what FM did with Rhiannon on the Dance tour). This is probably complicated on LB's solo tours as it would probably mean an awkward exchange of guitars in between the two versions.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Quote:
I have always thought it would be nice to have an acoustic intro for Soul Drifter, Go Insane and Big Love and then launch into the ensemble versions (similar to what FM did with Rhiannon on the Dance tour). This is probably complicated on LB's solo tours as it would probably mean an awkward exchange of guitars in between the two versions.
i love both acoustic and electric versions of Go Insane, and they are like 2 different songs to me. the same with acoustic and electric versions of SWS (pure bliss!).

with Big Love though, while the acoustic version is a breathtaking showstopper, i never cared about the album version.

i have noticed that some people have been repeatedly and loudly calling for the whole-band album-like version of BL and dropping the showstopper acoustic one (which is really now much more of a hit and has reached timeless status, unlike the album version).

so i'm curious what is an opinion in this forum, among primarily Lindsey fans... do people here think he should swap the acoustic BL for the full-band version?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
so i'm curious what is an opinion in this forum, among primarily Lindsey fans... do people here think he should swap the acoustic BL for the full-band version?
I would love to hear an ensemble version of Big Love. It would be an absolute riot if they could get Stevie to do the "love grunts." Neither one (ensemble version of Big Love, or Stevie doing the love grunts) will ever happen, though.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would love to hear an ensemble version of Big Love. It would be an absolute riot if they could get Stevie to do the "love grunts." Neither one (ensemble version of Big Love, or Stevie doing the love grunts) will ever happen, though.
lol. that's why people want the full band version. i finally get it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Since he's never done BL with the band, it'd be hard for me to know whether I like it unless I hear it. I don't think the album version of the song is an indicator of how it would be live with the band.

Michele
Old 05-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Since he's never done BL with the band, it'd be hard for me to know whether I like it unless I hear it. I don't think the album version of the song is an indicator of how it would be live with the band.

Michele
well yeah... but he's never done live version of electric SWS either. and i still want to hear it. bad!!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Seeds We Sow Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
well yeah... but he's never done live version of electric SWS either. and i still want to hear it. bad!!
I think that Seeds We Sow electric version would sound a lot like Eyes of the World come Live in Boston. Very fast and uplifting!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think that Seeds We Sow electric version would sound a lot like Eyes of the World come Live in Boston. Very fast and uplifting!
And EOTW is a song that I never would have asked for live, just based on the album, but it sounds pretty good in concert. More powerful than I would have guessed from the studio version.

Michele
Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
What about this!!

Regards!
This was great! Thank you! I guess there is stuff on YouTube I have yet to explore.....