Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

September 15, 2008
Lindsey Buckingham Brings ‘Gift’ To Portland
Jason Cohen, Portland, Ore.
Billboard Magazine

“It’s our third show … this is in support of a new album that is actually not out yet,” Lindsey Buckingham half-apologized, having begun his set with two songs from the disc in question: “Gift of Screws,” due Sept. 16.

It’s a louder, sunnier affair than 2006’s intense, partly acoustic “Under the Skin,” with a more rock’n'roll vibe that suffused the entire show. Last time around, Buckingham’s 1984 hit “Go Insane” got the brooding, slowed-down solo treatment; tonight it was restored to its full sinister pop glory. By the time the stage was flash-bombed with blue lighting for a manic “Tusk,” Buckingham, Neale Heywood and Brett Tuggle had switched out their guitars almost as many times as Sonic Youth — and it was just the fifth song of the set.

The well-drilled band — with Tuggle also playing bass and keyboards, Wilfredo Reyes Jr. on percussion and a full complement of samplers, processors and sound effects — brought everything that Fleetwood Mac could except personality.

That’s what the frontman’s for. As dark and nervous as his music sometimes is (to say nothing of his all-black wardrobe), the 58 year-old Buckingham was unstudied and warm onstage — happy to be playing, genuinely grateful to fill even a small room (the three-tiered Newmark is an especially intimate 880 seats) and sheepish about his place in the business.

“The record company is loosely calling it a single,” he said before “Did You Miss Me,” which is indeed a breathlessly harmonic, super-catchy love song. “I say that because I don’t know what that means anymore. They didn’t make a video.” Other highlights from the new record included the title track, a pure roadhouse stomp, and “Time Precious Time,” a maximalist fingerpicking ballad any Iron and Wine or John Fahey fan could love. It was certainly one of the songs Buckingham had in mind when he refers to “Big Love” as “the template for many things I’ve been experimenting and trying since then.” The 1984 Fleetwood Mac single remains a tour de force of multi-part acoustic guitar wizardry and vocal fireworks.

Best of all was “I’m So Afraid,” a track from Fleetwood Mac’s 1975 self-titled album that has become Buckingham’s “Cortez the Killer”: an ominous, exquisitely slow-paced workout that built into a mind-bending and rapturous extended solo. It left Buckingham literally gasping for breath and the crowd ecstatic on its feet.

The perfectly rousing first encore of “Go Your Own Way” and “Second Hand News” seemed anticlimactic by comparison, and when Buckingham returned a second time, the audience was just as happy to hear “Don’t Look Down,” from 1992’s “Out of the Cradle” (”and to think you had to talk me into doing that one,” he said to Tuggle), plus two more songs from “Gift of Screws.” You know you’re still doing great work after 35 years when you can play the hits because you want to, not because you have to.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Junior Ledgie

Portland OR Sept 10 2008 Gift of Screws

I had the privilege to not only go to see Lindsey but go from my balcony seat to front row center! No one was even sitting in the second row??? So, I went Insane and relocated myself. It was magical! Thirty years of wanting to thank Lindsey (FM) for the music...I went up to him put my hand on his boot, and sort of patted his leg and just soaked it up. He stayed right there and played the entire song...yeah, I too was wondering if he was going to let anyone play his guitar... I behaved myself and was mesmerized the whole song-the energy ahh...that was it, thats all I have wanted for years! To just say thank you for the music, it has healed me throughout my whole life-

At the end he was using a pick on one song and threw it right down in front of me on the stage. I asked a guy to give me a foot up after it was over and am now the proud owner of Lindseys pick....hahaha

It has a picture of a pick on it with a slash over it, no pick. Also NIN on the back? Nine inch nails? hm. He was as always, incredible.

One thing I have noticed on the many reviews all over the internet is a lot of people seem to criticize anything they don't understand, the guy at the concert who yelled something about sermons? Lindsey didn't "baffle" everyone in the audience, I get him. The way I see it is he is trying to explain just where his songs come from, he's an artist, right brained...english is his second language, music is his first...Maybe it is the rose colored contacts I wear at every concert, but I don't notice Anything but the positive- Makes for a much better time-We choose to see what we want- Haha, hope I don't sound like I am giving a sermon Just expressing myself...

It did seem to take the audience a little encouragement to let themselves go, not worry about what other people thought, and enjoy the way they wanted, - I just happened to be the "energizer Bunny" in the front, when I got home I had a nice bruise on my hand from clapping, cheering...

I want to thank Celticgypsy and her hubby for the INCREDIBLE picture of Lindsey- beautiful, its my desktop background, and hey...that head in the middle at the bottom?...that's me~ Peace to the Planet Heather
Old 09-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Junior Ledgie

"the 58 year-old Buckingham was unstudied and warm onstage — happy to be playing..."

That's the impression I had as well. It was a good night.

Thank you MacMan for posting the review.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlforan View Post
I went up to him put my hand on his boot, and sort of patted his leg and just soaked it up. He stayed right there and played the entire song...yeah,
What an amazing moment that must have been. Sounds like it was magical, especially since it was a culmination of long years of you having been a fan.

Michele
Old 09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Registered

Quote:

I had the privilege to not only go to see Lindsey but go from my balcony seat to front row center! No one was even sitting in the second row??? So, I went Insane and relocated myself. It was magical!
I think your enthusiasm singlehandedly got the crowd to stand from ISA onward!

Glad you had a blast!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Junior Ledgie

[QUOTE=LukeA;774226]I think your enthusiasm singlehandedly got the crowd to stand from ISA onward!

Honored to be of service completely, and I didn't end up in jail- Peace

Last edited by hlforan; 09-18-2008 at 10:07 PM..
Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: under beautiful desert skies of the Tri-cities in WA.

Quote:

I had the privilege to not only go to see Lindsey but go from my balcony seat to front row center! No one was even sitting in the second row??? So, I went Insane and relocated myself. It was magical! Thirty years of wanting to thank Lindsey (FM) for the music...I went up to him put my hand on his boot, and sort of patted his leg and just soaked it up. He stayed right there and played the entire song...yeah, I too was wondering if he was going to let anyone play his guitar... I behaved myself and was mesmerized the whole song-the energy ahh...that was it, thats all I have wanted for years! To just say thank you for the music, it has healed me throughout my whole life-

At the end he was using a pick on one song and threw it right down in front of me on the stage. I asked a guy to give me a foot up after it was over and am now the proud owner of Lindseys pick....hahaha

It has a picture of a pick on it with a slash over it, no pick. Also NIN on the back? Nine inch nails? hm. He was as always, incredible.

One thing I have noticed on the many reviews all over the internet is a lot of people seem to criticize anything they don't understand, the guy at the concert who yelled something about sermons? Lindsey didn't "baffle" everyone in the audience, I get him. The way I see it is he is trying to explain just where his songs come from, he's an artist, right brained...english is his second language, music is his first...Maybe it is the rose colored contacts I wear at every concert, but I don't notice Anything but the positive- Makes for a much better time-We choose to see what we want- Haha, hope I don't sound like I am giving a sermon Just expressing myself...

It did seem to take the audience a little encouragement to let themselves go, not worry about what other people thought, and enjoy the way they wanted, - I just happened to be the "energizer Bunny" in the front, when I got home I had a nice bruise on my hand from clapping, cheering...

I want to thank Celticgypsy and her hubby for the INCREDIBLE picture of Lindsey- beautiful, its my desktop background, and hey...that head in the middle at the bottom?...that's me~ Peace to the Planet Heather

You're welcome, Heather! Only wish we could have taken more pics but an elderly usher woman told us to stop or our camera would be taken away
We were taught to obey our elders

So I close my eyes softly
Til I become that part of the wind

♥Debra♥
Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Junior Ledgie

seriously those pictures are beautiful I finally left my camera at home this time, not a great concert photographer! So I was thrilled that you helped to "memorialize" the moment~