User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don’t disagree. Lindsey wastes a lot of time. That’s his thing. He could have an album out right now. He’s waiting for better marketing conditions. He wants to give it wider exposure. He wants to tour on his album. I just don’t think it’s that important at this stage in his life. Get the music out.
yeah, when you're 72, have a history of epilepsy and a recent heart attack, children you've gotten into (young) adulthood, WTF conditions are you holding out for that are going to miraculously return you to the 1970s charts?? Indeed, the argument could well be made that those who have put out new content in a pandemic when so much new content has been scuttled have gotten greater attention for the lack of competition...
Old 01-04-2021, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don’t disagree. Lindsey wastes a lot of time. That’s his thing. He could have an album out right now. He’s waiting for better marketing conditions. He wants to give it wider exposure. He wants to tour on his album. I just don’t think it’s that important at this stage in his life. Get the music out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yeah, when you're 72, have a history of epilepsy and a recent heart attack, children you've gotten into (young) adulthood, WTF conditions are you holding out for that are going to miraculously return you to the 1970s charts?? Indeed, the argument could well be made that those who have put out new content in a pandemic when so much new content has been scuttled have gotten greater attention for the lack of competition...
This isn’t anything new and is kind of why I don’t think he would have made it without Stevie. If he doesn’t have someone to be professionally accountable to, he pisses all kind of time and opportunity away. Here are the studio albums between Tusk and SYW that Stevie and Lindsey weren’t on together.

Stevie
  • Bella Donna
  • The Wild Heart
  • Rock A Little
  • The Other Side of the Mirror
  • Behind the Mask
  • Street Angel
  • Trouble In Shangri La

Lindsey
  • Law & Order
  • Go Insane
  • Out of the Cradle

Now, here are the tours they weren’t on together from that same period.

Stevie
  • Bella Donna
  • The Wild Heart
  • Rock A Little
  • Shaking The Cage (TITN)
  • Behind the Mask
  • Timespace
  • Street Angel
  • Enchanted
  • Trouble In Shangri La

Lindsey
  • Out of the Cradle

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-04-2021, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

But then Lindsey had a spurt of productivity and released UTS, GOS and SWS and toured. He also did BuckVie and toured, all in a very short time. He was bristling with momentum in his senior years until he was violently knocked down. Now he’s back to sitting on finished product.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’m not saying they would have been arena rock or on par with Stevie’s success, but they could have still been profitable and not have their careers dependent on her. Instead, they pissed it away.
It is funny how she said she's not the boss of the band; she is. She could've said to Mick: I want to make an EP with Dave Stewart or Greg Kurstin producing and Chris Lord-Alge mixing before the 2018 tour just like we did in 2013.

I guess she was in for the tours from 09 and on for the money only. Not to sing with her oldest friend
Old 01-04-2021, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Here are the studio albums between Tusk and SYW that Stevie and Lindsey weren’t on together.

Stevie
  • Behind the Mask
  • Trouble In Shangri La
Just a fact: Lindsey plays on I Miss You.
Not sure if his playing on Behind the Mask was done in the presence of Stevie.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I guess she was in for the tours from 09 and on for the money only. Not to sing with her oldest friend
I don’t think she’s been secretive about that. She’s actually said she doesn’t do albums because they don’t sell, but tours because they make a lot of money.

Quote:
Just a fact: Lindsey plays on I Miss You.
Not sure if his playing on Behind the Mask was done in the presence of Stevie.
Yeah, I guess I don’t count cameos.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-04-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Christine's live band in 1984 nailed Hold Me. She played the grand piano for the song. She also had 4 guys able to take backing vocals. It was pure perfection, even better than the Buck/Vie version IMHO. She did the album cut, not the alternate Mirage performance.
I have her live show on CD. It was professionally recorded and it is flawless. I also saw it live in concert. I wish it would end up on youtube like everything else.
Yes!!! It was so spot on in my show, too. The place went crazy when she did that because it was so well known and still rather current. (2 years)
Old 01-04-2021, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don’t think she’s been secretive about that. She’s actually said she doesn’t do albums because they don’t sell, but tours because they make a lot of money.
Yes, for Fleetwood Mac I gathered she meant she doesn't do albums. For solo, she said she doesn't care if anyone buys it which I suppose is why she released the 24 Karat Gold Live CD at Target.

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I don’t count cameos
Do you know if Lindsey recorded his guitar on BTM in 87?
I dont.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do you know if Lindsey recorded his guitar on BTM in 87?
I dont.
It was 1989. I remember Rick talking about it. IIRC, he was either not in the studio that day or only briefly met him.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-05-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
It was 1989. I remember Rick talking about it. IIRC, he was either not in the studio that day or only briefly met him.
I love that he was on McVie's tune. Of course, Nicks showed up to the BTM sessions about as much as Tango.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Stevie
  • Bella Donna
  • The Wild Heart
  • Rock A Little
  • Behind the Mask
  • Street Angel
  • Trouble In Shangri La

Lindsey
  • Law & Order
  • Go Insane
  • Out of the Cradle

Now, here are the tours they weren’t on together from that same period.

Stevie
  • Bella Donna
  • The Wild Heart
  • Rock A Little
  • Shaking The Cage (TITN)
  • Behind the Mask
  • Timespace
  • Street Angel
  • Enchanted
  • Trouble In Shangri La

Lindsey
  • Out of the Cradle
I don’t think more albums and tours would have had any commercial effect on Lindsey’s achievement. He could have put two albums out for every one of Stevie’s and still not have built an audience to rival hers. He simply does not have the mass appeal that she does. He functions best on every level as a personal, idiosyncratic musical voice with quirky aural references to pop, doo wop, jazz, roots, garage, alternative, Tin Pan Alley, and all sorts of styles that allow him to multitrack inventively and core into solitary, self-referential emotional states — none of which exactly makes for across-the-board appeal or casual listening. He has more in common with David Lynch and Eraserhead than just the hair.

The Macsters used to talk about how weird it was that they were all in the same band. Well, Lindsey is the weirdest of all: an abstruse contemporary artist in a workaday touring band with mega sales. That the blend created some great albums and exciting shows is really a miracle.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-05-2021, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don’t think more albums and tours would have had any commercial effect on Lindsey’s achievement.
The commercial success really isn’t the point. It’s more a commentary about the false narrative that Stevie owes everything to Lindsey.

Lindsey was bassist and vocalist in Fritz, but wasn’t the songwriter. Fritz was a high school band from San Francisco in the late ‘60s, where bands like Jefferson Airplane and Big Brother & The Holding Company reigned supreme. Having a girl who was popular at their high school in the band, especially one he knew he could sing with, was kind of an obvious move.

Yes, he bought some recording equipment with his aunt’s money and learned how to really play guitar while on his back. So what? There are countless musicians who buy studio equipment. Being a skillful guitarist who can sing and use studio equipment and who has great potential doesn’t equate to having a viable career in music.

Stevie is the one who had the ambition and drive to do something with it. She’d been writing for years, she was the one who pushed to move to Los Angeles, and is the one who pushed to join Fleetwood Mac.

After Tusk, Stevie used that drive and ambition to put herself with the right people to build a successful solo career. She had the discipline and was willing to put in the sweat equity to develop herself as a viable entity outside of the band. Meanwhile, Lindsey locked himself in the studio for years on end. He made great albums, but they were few and far between, especially after 1987, and he rarely did any publicity, beyond music videos, save for the 1993 tour. In other words, without a driving force to which he had to be accountable, i.e. Stevie or Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey got lost in his eccentricities. Who’s to say that without Stevie, he wouldn’t have gotten lost in those same eccentricities when he was still in San Francisco?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-06-2021, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The commercial success really isn’t the point.
And then you give me four paragraphs about commercial success.

Quote:
It’s more a commentary about the false narrative that Stevie owes everything to Lindsey.
Yes, that’s rather an overstatement. But it wasn’t my overstatement. Stevie has mass-appeal qualities and charisma that Lindsey has nothing to do with.

Quote:
Stevie is the one who had the ambition and drive to do something with it. After Tusk, Stevie used that drive and ambition to put herself with the right people to build a successful solo career. She had the discipline and was willing to put in the sweat equity to develop herself as a viable entity outside of the band.
You seem to be insisting that Lindsey could have garnered a Stevie-size audience by having more ambition and drive to build an audience. But I say that he could have done twice the work she did and still not built an audience her size. It was intangibles that put her across so spectacularly: her beauty, her emotive power as a singer, her visual trip, her self-mythologizing, and her sexuality. If Stevie Nicks had done everything that Stevie Nicks did, but happened to look like Lisa Lampanelli, her audience appeal would have been sizably diminished.

Quote:
Who’s to say that without Stevie, he wouldn’t have gotten lost in those same eccentricities when he was still in San Francisco?
Possibly, or he would have continued to find session work and tour support work, which he was already doing. If Fleetwood Mac hadn’t picked him up, another band might have — and not agreed to take her, too. However small a scale (like a solo Everly tour), he was finding work in music. Stevie at the same time was finding no work in music.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-07-2021, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The idea that Lindsey had no ambition is a canard in the first place. No, he wasn’t practicing his autograph or shopping in the Velvet Underground for the costumes he would be wearing in the future. He was driving himself to a career in the music industry. He was forming contacts and honing his craft. He was already arranging and producing songs that are ubiquitous 50 years later. He was being selective about his choices. He didn’t want to play steak houses. He wanted to do things that would gain him respect and gain him gradual recognition. He had ambition, his simply differed from Stevie’s. He may not have been headed towards glitter and record-breaking sales, but he was headed towards solid success in the business.

Fleetwood Mac made him a star and Stevie is not the reason he got into Fleetwood Mac. It was not her “ambition” that caught Mick’s ear.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
And then you give me four paragraphs about commercial success.

You seem to be insisting that Lindsey could have garnered a Stevie-size audience by having more ambition and drive to build an audience. But I say that he could have done twice the work she did and still not built an audience her size. It was intangibles that put her across so spectacularly: her beauty, her emotive power as a singer, her visual trip, her self-mythologizing, and her sexuality. If Stevie Nicks had done everything that Stevie Nicks did, but happened to look like Lisa Lampanelli, her audience appeal would have been sizably diminished.
This made my day!!!!! It's funny because it's true. And the word "sizably", made your point genius!